Tremendous Defence Today

The King Of Leon

A big thanks today to all the players who really put their bodies on the line against a very good Sheffield team, it was like custers last stand at the siege of the Alamo at times in the 1st half as Hunslet defended their line time and time again with Briggs and co  spraying the ball around.With Kain pulling out before the kick off and Keinhorst , Walters, Casey and Lee all injured in the 1st half it was always going to be a damage limitation exercise and to be only 12-2 down at ht after hardly being out of our own half was an incredible effort.

When Mulhern stormed through to make it 18-8 after 55 mins a possible miracle looked as if it might be on but Briggs made the game safe by cutting though for a decisive try and even then we almost scored from the kick off when QLT threw the ball behind his own line and we somehow blew the chance, there wont be many teams who will beat Sheffield on that wide pitch and to only lose by 14 against the attack  the Eagles have is a great effort.On the downside we have picked up a real glut of injuries today so  its a good job we have a decent size squad for Leigh and Fax.

Thought we had a good first half , and was in the game at 2.12 down at halftime.

We should have done better in the second half as they only had 12 men all second half.

Yes we took injuries , as thought there was a lot of head high stuff coming from Sheffield , and the penalty count

in the first half went all to Sheffield.  

But not much idea from us in the second half as it just seemed to be one man rugby , taking the ball up the middle

and no decent moves from us. A disapointing second half I would say, especially against 12 men.

Agreed we were poor on attack today but with no Kain, Keinhorst off after 3 mins, Lee broken nose after 15 and Walters tearing his calf after 30 plus Casey doing his cartledge before HT it was the walking wounded in the dressing room .

The big difference in this division is the speed of the play the ball, if ours is 2 secs the others are 1 sec, Sheffields line speed was notably quicker as well yesterday and with hardly any offside called they were in our faces as soon as we hit the pass.Weve come up against real quality like Lee Gaskell and y,day Kyle Briggs this season and with Leigh up next its gonna be tough with Brierly and Ridyard pulling the strings but we knew that , its a good chance now with the injuries to see the likes of Cosgrove, Ogoro, Castle, Barnett and Backhouse a chance to see what they can do.

Hmmm. Bit of a mixed bag out there yesterday. Yes there was some great scrambling defence, only to be let down by conceding some sloppy tries. If I'm being honest I thought the score flattered us a bit, though fair enough the early injuries must have upset the gameplan to some degree.

Fair play to the forwards, more or less a match for the Sheffield pack, but it was behind them where the difference lay, with the usual suspects (Yere, QLT, etc) causing plenty of damage. Have had to look up how long it was since Briggs played for us (2008 :ohmy: !), but I wouldn't have minded him on our side today! And not for the first time this season, I found myself wondering how different things might have been if Kain and/or Grimshaw had been at half-back.

Disappointing that even with twelve men for the second half Sheffield still found ways to create overlaps and scored two tries through holes you could have driven a bus through, whilst we continued to play our regular conservative style. I'll say it again ... DR or no DR, I think there are players seemingly guaranteed a spot in the "first 17" every week who should be "rested" and others - who've done nothing wrong when they have had a run-out - given a proper chance to stake a claim.

On the positive side, that's three of the four hardest away games (on paper) out of the way! And as one who made an afternoon of it and watched both games, I can report that the fayre on offer in our game was several notches ahead of the decidedly turgid Doncaster-Batley game, where the only plus point was that eventually that it produced the "right" result as far as we were concerned.      

Having watched the video of the game re the sending off several times it could result in George Flanagan being called before the disciplinary panel for unprofessional conduct - it's the best bit of play acting I've seen for a while.

Has he ever played soccer ?

The game's so well covered on video these days that "simulation" has become a two-edged sword.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

Given the only person who had a bad game for mine was finigan, who's been good for us in other games, he doesn't fall into the group of 'guaranteed a game no matter what.' So I'm still at a loss to who else you could be talking about?

Given the only person who had a bad game for mine was finigan, who's been good for us in other games, he doesn't fall into the group of 'guaranteed a game no matter what.' So I'm still at a loss to who else you could be talking about?

It's not, and never has been, my policy to criticise individual players on a public forum, I'm sure if you read between the lines of what I say post-match each week you can form some conclusions.

What I will say is that, if I were to rank the players based on their performances this season so far, no dual reg (loan, etc ...) players would be in the top four, though I could certainly make a case to put one in the bottom four. I should also say that I don't think any player who has pulled on a Hunslet shirt so far has given less than 100%. 

My top 5 players for us up to now would be.

1. Kain  -( pity not played more games for us but class when he plays )

2. Watson  - Exciting player with a great turn of speed , safe player to have at fullback.

3. Brennan - Very strong prop always in the thick of the action.

4. Walters - Played great for us . Tackles well, a speedy impact player. 

5. Flannagan -  Class player, it shows , done it all before.

We all have our own ideas of what the team should be and obviously we can't all get what we want. For my part, I'm disappointed we've let Cook and Agoro move out, even if only temporarily. I reckon Cook is a class player, anywhere in the backs and I didn't see the game at Gloucester, but would our regular wingers have scored the three tries that Agoro got? We didn't need to sign Duckworth and Briscoe as we are well covered in those positions anyway, but what do I know?

It is far better to remain silent and be thought a fool

than to open your mouth and prove that you are.

Only one dual reg (Mulhern) in the squad for Leigh tomorrow. Not surprising in view of the Easter fixture schedule, and Keinhorst and Walters both getting injured against Sheffield. But at last a chance hopefully for Mvududu, Castle, Backhouse and Cosgrove to show what they can do in a Championship game.

Meanwhiile, agree fully with Gabby about Agoro and Cook ...

Archived