Kevin Sinfield to leave Rhinos at end of 2015

Rumour going round that Mac is moving upstairs to be football manager of RL And RU and Rhinos have Aussie coach lined up for next year.Dont want to go cross code but don't like this close relations with RU.wait and see though

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

Whatever the press conference is about, I'm prepared to say it is inappropriate. Now that the two clubs are under separate ownership, Leeds RLFC just shouldn't be appearing on the same stage as Leeds RUFC - and certainly not when making "one of the most significant announcements in the history" of the club. One of the most significant announcements (we'll see) in the club's 125 year history and they are sharing it with a financially unsound, second division club from a different sport? Give me a break. It gives the union club a credibility they do not deserve - it associates them with the success and the importance (to Loiners) of the RL club.

The affairs of Leeds RUFC provided a major distraction to senior management for years, without them contributing anything to the salaries of Hetherington or Oates etc whilst borrowing money from the RL club to stay solvent. Now that Caddick has finally managed to find a group to take the union club off his hands, the days of joint arrangements should be over - other than their renting, at a market rate, Headingley and the Kirkstall training centre.

I've no idea if this is the announcement, but, for example, the rumoured notion that Brian McDermott might move to some dual code role is ludicrous. It's like Man Utd announcing Alex Ferguson is becoming joint football director with Stockport. Ridiculous.

I'm sure I read an article last week about expanding the union top league and the Leeds Union team being strongly linked to it...... So financially it's well worth it for the Leeds clubs..... Bt sport chucking money at the game, adds up to smart business..... Of course if all is true.

Remember we'll be talking millions and millions, not 100+ thousand

I'm sure I read an article last week about expanding the union top league and the Leeds Union team being strongly linked to it...... So financially it's well worth it for the Leeds clubs..... Bt sport chucking money at the game, adds up to smart business..... Of course if all is true.

Remember we'll be talking millions and millions, not 100+ thousand

As Martyn S noted in League Express last week, the BT deal was not all it was cracked up to be.

Moreover, the RU club has lost millions upon millions of pounds under Caddick's ownership and, for a brief period, under Carnegie's ownership. Whether they were in the top flight and winning a trophy or out of it and trying to get back in, they lost money hand over fist.

If, by hook or by crook, they claw their way back into a ringfenced top flight, there is no indication the club will suddenly become viable. Increased income merely leads to a spiral of increasing player spend. Given their pitiful crowds, even when they were "successful", it's hard to imagine a time when Leeds RUFC will ever turn a profit - the economics just don't stack up.

Leeds RLFC has been wasting time and money on this venture for too long - the union club needs to stand on its own two feet or move out. This latest impending announcement does not fill me with confidence that, once more, they aren't trying to achieve something off the back of, or at the expense of, the RL club. 

As Martyn S noted in League Express last week, the BT deal was not all it was cracked up to be.

Moreover, the RU club has lost millions upon millions of pounds under Caddick's ownership and, for a brief period, under Carnegie's ownership. Whether they were in the top flight and winning a trophy or out of it and trying to get back in, they lost money hand over fist.

If, by hook or by crook, they claw their way back into a ringfenced top flight, there is no indication the club will suddenly become viable. Increased income merely leads to a spiral of increasing player spend. Given their pitiful crowds, even when they were "successful", it's hard to imagine a time when Leeds RUFC will ever turn a profit - the economics just don't stack up.

Leeds RLFC has been wasting time and money on this venture for too long - the union club needs to stand on its own two feet or move out. This latest impending announcement does not fill me with confidence that, once more, they aren't trying to achieve something off the back of, or at the expense of, the RL club. 

Mind you if they do away with relegation and promotion as per current thoughts and proposals then it could be different. Although crowds may be  a problem. However, remember that

Central funding will be increased to more than the current £3m (I think) that Prem clubs receive... well all but London Wasps hence their proposed court case..

Leeds/Yorkshire Carnegie are one of 14 teams that have Premiership share ownership, like Bristol & Worcester even though championship teams currently.  Bearing in mind Premiership clubs are talking about expanding to 14 teams and as I say removing P&R.

So you may be right but I'd be more concerned that in long term the impact on which club becomes the prominent given the way the two Rugby's are developing... to repeat long term

So you may be right but I'd be more concerned that in long term the impact on which club becomes the prominent given the way the two Rugby's are developing... to repeat long term

There is no chance of them becoming the "prominent" team at Headingley. Absolutely no chance, even if you couch it in a long term basis. They got under 1,000 (announced as 1,500) yesterday for a game they put a big effort into marketing. And not owning the stadium means they don't have many none-gameday income streams.

There is also a lot of doubt over these shares. The P shares were sold to Exeter - notwithstanding Hetherington's comments at the time (http://www.yorkshirecarnegie.com/news/12569.php) that the money was going to be "ringfenced", their accounts show that it was used firstly to pay off the debts owed to the Rhinos with the balance promptly disappearing as a dividend to the shareholder(s) before Caddick sold up. Yet mention has been made recently of them still having some shareholding which is most curious.

It would cost a considerable amount of money to make Yorkshire Carnegie a successful top level RU club.there are all kinds of rumours going round now I just think it will be one of Hetheringtons publicity shoots.

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

MjM seems to have a better understanding than most.I'd wait for any announcement before claiming you know what the announcement will be.

Yorkshire Carnegie are under new ownership and have a new coach but a number of the better players have already committed to moving next season,so I assume they are not aware of any major changes.Quite simply,Yorkshire Carnegie need to finish in the top two next season,to have a chance of getting into an enlarged Premiership.

Either Worcester or Bristol will go up this season,the other,almost certainly next season - so even with 14 teams,that leaves one free space.To be fought out by London Welsh,London Scottish,possibly Nottingham and Yorks,if they make major signings over the close season.

No idea what the conference will be about but I suspect the shared cricket/rugby North Stand is the major priority at present.Without a new stand,in time for the Ashes,Yorks CCC have big problems.

Well, I didn't see that option! I'm shocked!

I think it might help Leeds in the long term though. His experience and leadership can't be replaced but it gives us a fresh start and we have 3/4 of a season to get Sutcliffe and McGuire forming a partnership.

rsz_1rsz_1rsz_2bulldogsbanner.png

Didn't see that coming :(

One final big payday for him.

Great servant for Leeds.

Sounds as though he is doing similar to what Farrell did. Joining a team for a good payday and then he can move on into a coaching role.

Patwigaw

It'll be some ###### about a few young lads going on dual code contacts

Pretty much...

Check out upcoming international fixtures and highlights of past matches at http://rlfixtures.weebly.com

St Albans Centurions International Liaison Officer and former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

Dare I say this is a way of prolonging his career for a couple of years? No disrespect to Union but if he was positioned correctly then I am right in thinking he'll be absorbing less physical contact? Could be completely wrong on that one...

LEEDS RHINOS PRESS RELEASE

Sinfield to leave Rhinos at end of 2015

Kevin Sinfield MBE, Leeds Rhinos greatest ever captain, will leave the club at the end of the 2015 season to finish his career playing Rugby Union with sister club Yorkshire Carnegie having agreed an 18 month contract with Bryan Redpath’s side.

Sinfield, 34, is on the brink of becoming only the fourth player in Leeds’ history to play 500 games for the club and is the all time leading goal and points scorer in the club’s history. He is currently fourth in the all time list of Rugby League points scorers and has led the Rhinos to 12 titles in 19 Finals so far having been made captain in 2003 when he was just 22. He has made 26 appearances for England, including captaining his country at the 2013 World Cup, and has made a further 14 appearances for Great Britain.

Commenting on the decision Sinfield said, “This was one of the toughest decisions of my career but I know the time is right for me to finish my time in Rugby League and embark on a new challenge with Yorkshire Carnegie. I never wanted to play against the Rhinos and throughout my career I have always had an admiration for Rugby Union and wanted to challenge myself in that code. I am fortunate as a professional player in this era that opportunities like this exist for me and it is something I want to grab with both hands.

“Sir Ian McGeechan, the new board and owners of Yorkshire Carnegie have set out ambitious plans to gain promotion from the Greene King IPA Championship next season and regain their place in the Aviva Premiership and that is something that excites me. It is a new challenge for me and I know I will have a lot to learn however we spend a lot of time with the Carnegie players at our training ground at Kirkstall so that will help me settle in.

“My entire adult life has been spent at Leeds Rhinos and I am extremely grateful for all the support I have had over the past two decades. My goal now is to do whatever I can to make sure we have further success this year and finish the season and my Rhinos career on the best possible note,” added Sinfield.

Leeds Rhinos Chief Executive Gary Hetherington added, “When Kevin signed his last five year contract in 2012 it was with the understanding that he could decide to leave at the end of any season, unrestricted, provided we were notified at the start of the season so we could begin to play for the future. If any player in the history of our club deserves the right to choose when he moves on to the next stage of his career it is Kevin Sinfield.  Kevin notified me of his decision six weeks ago and I alerted the new management of Yorkshire Carnegie of his availability and desire to play Rugby Union. We are pleased he will remain at Headingley Carnegie and he has agreed a contract with Yorkshire Carnegie until June 2017 from 1st November this year.

“He has been an inspirational leader on and off the field for Leeds Rhinos over the last decade and I think there can be little argument that the success we have enjoyed would not have been possible without him. Kevin was contracted for next season with the club and had always insisted that his Rhinos career would not go beyond that point, the fact that date has been brought forward twelve months may be a shock to some but we are happy to agree to his wishes and allow him to set a new challenge for himself with Yorkshire Carnegie,” added Hetherington.

Yorkshire Carnegie Executive President Sir Ian McGeechan commented, “I have admired Kevin Sinfield as both a player and an individual for many years. His professionalism, attitude and commitment are top class. I am sure he will be a great addition to our squad for next season and his goal kicking record speaks for itself. The signing of Kevin Sinfield and the recent appointment of Bryan Redpath as Head Coach are clear indications of the ambition of our new management and owners. We look forward to having Kevin on board from November for our challenge to regain our place in the Aviva Premiership.”

I'm genuinely quite sad about this - not about the Union part, he's earned the right to do whatever he likes in my book - but the prospect of the sport without Sinfield in it is a slightly worse one I think. However long he does over there, hope RL gets him back behind the scenes somewhere asap. Quite simply, the sport would be so much better if there were more people like him.

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

He's a shoe-in for that knighthood now

Check out upcoming international fixtures and highlights of past matches at http://rlfixtures.weebly.com

St Albans Centurions International Liaison Officer and former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

Archived