Writing has been on the wall

eltel

I sent this email below following the Bradford game predicting we would concede over 100 points in the next 3 games whereas we have only conceded 80 thanks mainly due to 3 Wakefield DR players rescuing us at Halifax.

There is and has been something seriously amiss both in the boardroom and with the playing staff especially Andy Hay who should be sacked immediately. If we could only get a half decent coach we could do alright this season providing he can get the best out of a very unsettled team and if things do not improve the few good players we have left shall leave if they have any sense.

Finally who ever dreamed up the new ticket fiasco wants their head looking at and it would have proved a right pain on Monday for Sheffield's visit except Rovers will have far fewer spectators following last nights embarrassment.

Original email 01/03/15

This is my third ever contact with Featherstone Rovers my first was a small donation to the floodlight appeal after a winning bet on Rovers winning the 1983 Challenge cup i.e. £10 at 18 to 1.

My second contact was stating the obvious that John Bastian was a third rate coach and predicting he would be sacked that season whereas he was actually sacked in a matter of a few weeks.

Now I do not imply that I'm a great motivator but frequently listening to Andy Hay who certainly is not a motivator gives me no confidence whatsoever and he needs to be got rid of just like the last coach. Today we were thrashed primarily because we cannot tackle as the 40 points to 4 margin confirms yet Andy Hay just drones on with feeble excuses instead of demonstrating some passion and leadership qualities.

My guess is that in the next three games we shall succumb to a hundred points or more unless there is a drastic improvement. For Christ's sake drop some of the poor performing players and at least give the second string a chance they cannot be much worse.

We certainly have enough players on our books which most other clubs could only dream of yet we are not performing.

Today we had a fantastic crowd who were severely let down by poor selection poor motivation and a lack of leadership qualities. If we want to play to crowds in their hundreds rather than the thousands then just plod on regardless it will be our downfall.

Even with these mediocre performances we may be lucky and struggle to fourth place this season but super-league just forget it as today we were thrashed by a half decent championship side.

My suggestion is let a lot of the squad go to give them some playing time and sign a couple of real quality players who are not past their sell by date.

Like last year I really hope I'm wrong but I doubt it.

Regards

Terry

Sent from my iPad

Can not disagree with anything you say. Easy to be cynical and downbeat when bad results come but I walked away and thought a nights sleep may help. It didn't. I have watched Fev for 35 years and have seen some awful results and games. What I felt was that we were often beaten by better teams and players. I never thought I would feel so low with players(journeyman) who do not get that all we ask for is pride,passion and the occasional game plan. I now don't want to finish top 4 as the top 2 in our league are 40 points better than us even with wakeys second string in. Hull hull kr cas and wakey would all post 50 passed us. Surely someone gets the lack of emotion from Mr hay. I remember mr Powell dragging the front row off after 15 minutes against Whitehaven and posted a note after the game to apologise to all fans saying he was a winner and would get it right. We then had a team who responded and gave us 5 great seasons. What will Mr hay say- the same old tosh!

Some emotive posts, both here and on other threads. Divorcebook must be going ballistic also.

I don't really get the point about Darryl Powell, I enjoyed the period in which he coached Rovers, everyone probably did. But he was always going to go to an appointment that was of a higher echelon than the one that he was at.

A poster said 5 great seasons. 1 very good season and 4 good seasons in my opinion.

HE WENT so we had to move on. What we should also remember is that with the new structure we are not the big fish in a small pond anymore. Leigh and Bradford are full time as London are probably, they are essentially Super League Teams. We've come a long way to be even be playing teams like this. Even when we were winning the shield 4x there was brain fart games, Tolouse at home 2010 ( and to compound this the tories got in that night) Whitehaven and Barrow at home 2009. Halifax and Sheffield at home in 2012, chuck in the odd Swinton, York and other results we were always capable of nailing ourselves. The convention is that we always bounced back, THAT is a fundamental difference now, I don't know if we can.

THE PROBLEM Rovers find themselves with now stems in part, I still believe, from John Bastian.

The team as I have said before needed a tweak from that that Shaun Long had left, what Shaun had left was essentially Darryl and Ryan Sheridan's team.

The tweak we received was like a Tsunami, players told they were surplus to requirement, they should work at sandwich shops, the whole team ethos being destroyed in 3 months.

Then the knock on effect, wheeling and dealing like the Angolan army of the 60s and 70s in which we managed to get a final against all the odds. But the team spirit and loyalty seemed to have gone.

The big thing in the Powell years was how the players loved being part of team Featherstone Rovers. That's gone and will be hard to replace......but needs to else the club we all love will pale into insignificance once again.

I agree its on building a squad in the next couple of years ,and I really feel sorry for the young ones who have been dropped I liked the look of Teasdale he was home grown our future ,I have heard he's not getting a look in and I think he will go or give up which is a dam shame.

I know what you're saying but....

When/if Teasy is good enough to get in over other players.. he'll be in.

As yet, at 9 I'd prefer Sam n Andy.

"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

People are yelling to get a settled team... play what AH think is his best team....

Irwin and Ellis would both be my preferred option. Hooker is such a pivotal position that giving a youngster "game time" is a luxury we don't have anymore.... too much of a gamble.

"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

People are yelling to get a settled team... play what AH think is his best team....

Irwin and Ellis would both be my preferred option. Hooker is such a pivotal position that giving a youngster "game time" is a luxury we don't have anymore.... too much of a gamble.

Robin mate, we played him in the grand final last year and he was a standout. on friday i thought we were let down by some of our most experienced players. for me Irwins not the finished article, we're getting scoot, scoot, scoot, whether it's on or not. it worked at dews but not against broncos

joe mullaney is a god

the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

oldrover.gif

Robin mate, we played him in the grand final last year and he was a standout. on friday i thought we were let down by some of our most experienced players. for me Irwins not the finished article, we're getting scoot, scoot, scoot, whether it's on or not. it worked at dews but not against broncos

Teasdales good enough alright, just think personally that Hay doesn't know his arsenal from his elbow. Sooner have Danny Evans an rooney mi sen

weve lost to the three clubs that the majority of you put in your top four,we need to beat the others home and possibly away, starting tomorrow with sheffield,get out of the panic mode and support the lads we have.keep the faith times may change for the better,we can still make top four.

weve lost to the three clubs that the majority of you put in your top four,we need to beat the others home and possibly away, starting tomorrow with sheffield,get out of the panic mode and support the lads we have.keep the faith times may change for the better,we can still make top four.

Not in panic mode, STILL supporting the lads, but struggling to keep the faith because in my humble opinion I haven't seen one convincing 80 minutes performance this season yet, or for that matter anything like one.

Some emotive posts, both here and on other threads. Divorcebook must be going ballistic also.

I don't really get the point about Darryl Powell, I enjoyed the period in which he coached Rovers, everyone probably did. But he was always going to go to an appointment that was of a higher echelon than the one that he was at.

A poster said 5 great seasons. 1 very good season and 4 good seasons in my opinion.

HE WENT so we had to move on. What we should also remember is that with the new structure we are not the big fish in a small pond anymore. Leigh and Bradford are full time as London are probably, they are essentially Super League Teams. We've come a long way to be even be playing teams like this. Even when we were winning the shield 4x there was brain fart games, Tolouse at home 2010 ( and to compound this the tories got in that night) Whitehaven and Barrow at home 2009. Halifax and Sheffield at home in 2012, chuck in the odd Swinton, York and other results we were always capable of nailing ourselves. The convention is that we always bounced back, THAT is a fundamental difference now, I don't know if we can.

THE PROBLEM Rovers find themselves with now stems in part, I still believe, from John Bastian.

The team as I have said before needed a tweak from that that Shaun Long had left, what Shaun had left was essentially Darryl and Ryan Sheridan's team.

The tweak we received was like a Tsunami, players told they were surplus to requirement, they should work at sandwich shops, the whole team ethos being destroyed in 3 months.

Then the knock on effect, wheeling and dealing like the Angolan army of the 60s and 70s in which we managed to get a final against all the odds. But the team spirit and loyalty seemed to have gone.

The big thing in the Powell years was how the players loved being part of team Featherstone Rovers. That's gone and will be hard to replace......but needs to else the club we all love will pale into insignificance once again.

Excellent post-some people have short memories. Friday's poor performance hurt nothing like as bad as some of the defeats in those 4 years we were topping the league, with the best, most expensive squad in the Championship! They can be forgiven for the golden point GF defeat due to extraordinary circumstances, but what about the failure to get out of the NR Cup group that year?  Then there was the NR cup semi defeat the following year and the poor show in the final the following year, and the loss to Leigh when we gave away 3 interception tries, which meant for 4 consecutive years we failed to win the NR Cup with the best squad in the competition. As far as the play-offs go, losing the 2012 Final was bad, but the 2013 home defeat to Batley was unpalatable. That was Daryl's squad, inherited by Ryan Sheridan and then Sean Long- A very good side until it really mattered. If I had been propping up the wage bill out of my own money I wouldn't have been very happy with the return on my investment.

The hurt from Friday night was nothing like some of those defeats, at least this time we didn't have the most expensive squad on duty.

In every game this season money has talked, so tomorrow night against Sheffield will be a big pointer.   

Well well never saw that one coming fev getting hammered at home by Sheffield Eagles. the result was as I expected except I though Fev would lose by at least 30 points.

I did not go nor shall I or my brother ever part with good money to watch trash. I really want Fev to do well but as I said before sack Andy Hay immediately and get someone in the boardroom with a bit of business acumen.

There is no shame in losing but not trying when putting on a Rovers shirt stinks.

Some of my past heroes will be shuddering the likes of John Newlove and son Paul even though he deserted us then the real triers like Peter Smith my favourite player ever at Fev then there was John Marsden, Tex Hudson John Gilbert there are too many to mention even the likes of Jimmy Thomson and Vince Farrar were workhorses yet the only current player that gives his all is Will Sharp albeit not brilliant but you can never fault his effort.

Excellent post-some people have short memories. Friday's poor performance hurt nothing like as bad as some of the defeats in those 4 years we were topping the league, with the best, most expensive squad in the Championship! They can be forgiven for the golden point GF defeat due to extraordinary circumstances, but what about the failure to get out of the NR Cup group that year?  Then there was the NR cup semi defeat the following year and the poor show in the final the following year, and the loss to Leigh when we gave away 3 interception tries, which meant for 4 consecutive years we failed to win the NR Cup with the best squad in the competition. As far as the play-offs go, losing the 2012 Final was bad, but the 2013 home defeat to Batley was unpalatable. That was Daryl's squad, inherited by Ryan Sheridan and then Sean Long- A very good side until it really mattered. If I had been propping up the wage bill out of my own money I wouldn't have been very happy with the return on my investment.

The hurt from Friday night was nothing like some of those defeats, at least this time we didn't have the most expensive squad on duty.

In every game this season money has talked, so tomorrow night against Sheffield will be a big pointer.   

Mmmmm,  So what did it point to ??

Archived