State of origin europe.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't really get the Yorkshire/Lancashire thing. Can someone list the team that are in each state?

East of Penines vs West of Penines

Call it Yorkshire Vs Lancashire

Market it as The War of the Roses

Do huge promotions of cheap tickets in schools and Community clubs, £5 a ticket, get the kids there in huge numbers and get them hooked on the game.

Have some players to make derogatory statements about each other and let it get serious

What we have now that we didn't have before is programmes like Boot n All, The SL Show and Backchat to lay the foundations of the rivalry and big up the feuds between players. In many ways we are at a state of play similar to that which prevailed in Australia when they began Origin.

Make it compulsory to play if selected or be stood down from your club game for 2 weeks

Make it a genuine England trial, if you pull out of this game you can not be considered for England.

East of Penines vs West of Penines

Call it Yorkshire Vs Lancashire

Market it as The War of the Roses

Do huge promotions of cheap tickets in schools and Community clubs, £5 a ticket, get the kids there in huge numbers and get them hooked on the game.

Have some players to make derogatory statements about each other and let it get serious

What we have now that we didn't have before is programmes like Boot n All, The SL Show and Backchat to lay the foundations of the rivalry and big up the feuds between players. In many ways we are at a state of play similar to that which prevailed in Australia when they began Origin.

Make it compulsory to play if selected or be stood down from your club game for 2 weeks

Make it a genuine England trial, if you pull out of this game you can not be considered for England.

It's been tried before. Isn't the definition of madness doing the same things over and over and expecting different results?

rldfsignature.jpg

I have no interest in 600 year old, geographically inaccurate rivalries being played out in modern sport.

Especially as I don't live in either of the counties concerned and have no affinity to the Pennines.

You cannot artificially create rivalries.

People called Romans they go the house

It's been tried before. Isn't the definition of madness doing the same things over and over and expecting different results?

Unless you do it differently!

The problem with this concept, everytime it's been tried before, is that they've played at it with no conviction or serious backing. They've allowed clubs or individual players to undermine it and treat it with contempt which has lead to fans being uninterested leading to failure.

Make it a genuine Test trial, set player against player with a representitive shirt on the line!

Tell Ryan Atkins that if he batters Kallum Watkins, outplays him and proves over three games that he's the better choice for England then he'll get selected by a selection committee that sits after the series is over!

PERIOD!

No exceptions!

I have no interest in 600 year old, geographically inaccurate rivalries being played out in modern sport.

Especially as I don't live in either of the counties concerned and have no affinity to the Pennines.

You cannot artificially create rivalries.

I do!

I live in Yorkshire and I'm proud of it, I love nothing more than kicking Lancashire *****!

There's nothing artificial about that

I'm sure people in Melbourne and Adelaide could have felt much the same as you do when Origin started

Unless you do it differently!

The problem with this concept, everytime it's been tried before, is that they've played at it with no conviction or serious backing. They've allowed clubs or individual players to undermine it and treat it with contempt which has lead to fans being uninterested leading to failure.

Make it a genuine Test trial, set player against player with a representitive shirt on the line!

Tell Ryan Atkins that if he batters Kallum Watkins, outplays him and proves over three games that he's the better choice for England then he'll get selected by a selection committee that sits after the series is over!

PERIOD!

No exceptions!

Unfortunately it doesn't work like that. To be a genuine Test trial you'd have to play it close to the international season i.e. towards the end of the season. Never going to happen. If you play it mid season then any form shown is irrelevant. Coaches will always have players they prefer over others.

rldfsignature.jpg

Unfortunately it doesn't work like that. To be a genuine Test trial you'd have to play it close to the international season i.e. towards the end of the season. Never going to happen. If you play it mid season then any form shown is irrelevant. Coaches will always have players they prefer over others.

Don't say that too loud they might hear you in Australia where that worked for years.

Who could have guessed they were getting it so wrong?

We've played around for years looking for some form of pre Test competition to battle harden our players and prepare them for the higher intensity of international rugby league.

France aren't strong enough

The Exiles was a flawed concept

If this was taken seriously the intensity would be a good stepping stone into internationals for the players. We'd also see which players have the ability to play under pressure, that ability once proven is in the bank while form can be monitored thereafter.

PERIOD!

And have the England coach watch it on TV from his apartment in Sydney. :ph34r:

How close are we to a state of origin for europe.

London/south of england

France

Yorkshire

Lancashire

Could that get London really moving.

Hopefully a long way off. We need to concentrate on getting France capable of competing with England and maybe some of the other home nations, nothing screams of being insular more than origin!! Union has the amazing concept of the six nations that grabs all the TV, radio and written press media getting huge crowds and big major companies falling over themselves to sponsor it. Let's aim big for a change instead of the tired old Lancashire v Yorkshire nonsense that nobody cares about even in these 2 counties never mind outside of them.

I think Yorkshire vs Lancashire could work as a trial for those outside of the elite training squad, but not as a replacement for an England international.

Two test series against France mid season (home and away), with county games being played at the same time to give prospective players a further taste of a rep atmosphere.

I wouldn't want Yorkshire vs Lancashire as a top level rep game. It sends the completely wrong message (as does QLD vs NSW). But there should be room for it at some level in the calendar.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

nothing screams of being insular more than origin!!

In England maybe. NSW has been playing Qld since 1908. Origin is a variant but it's still Qld v NSW and still a legitimate trial for Kangaroo selection.

In England maybe. NSW has been playing Qld since 1908. Origin is a variant but it's still Qld v NSW and still a legitimate trial for Kangaroo selection.

I think you're confusing insular with successful.

Or are you suggesting that all the Kiwis and Islanders who play Origin make it more open and accessible than a first glance would suggest?

People called Romans they go the house

I think you're confusing insular with successful.

Or are you suggesting that all the Kiwis and Islanders who play Origin make it more open and accessible than a first glance would suggest?

No, not at all. English fans are proud of their traditions. One Australian tradition is interstate sporting contests. The fact that they are successful is a tribute to the size of the player pool, not the insularity of the fans.

"All the Kiwis and Islanders who play Origin." Origin eligibility rules are much tighter than International rules. Why does nobody ever complain about James McManus playing Origin? Or Dan Sarginson playing for England?

Why does Origin need to be "open and accessible?" Nobody I know wants it to be, and we are the NSWers. It's part of our domestic season, like your Challenge Cup. Why don't you allow Fijian teams in the Challenge Cup?

Don't say that too loud they might hear you in Australia where that worked for years.

Who could have guessed they were getting it so wrong?

So what works in Australia always works here does it? I go on Aussie forums and some Australians complain that Origin is no longer a Test trial because of when it's played. Isn't the Anzac day Test played before Origin? Origin is played well before the 4N and still we see the Australian coach pick the tried and trusted over Origin form.

rldfsignature.jpg

Origin is played well before the 4N and still we see the Australian coach pick the tried and trusted over Origin form.

As a general rule in sport, you don't change a winning team. After last year's 4N maybe we'll see some changes.

No. Every time you pick a Test team there will be injury absences, suspensions and retirements. The replacements are drawn from the better Origin performers.

Archived