Most successful Amateur Club in Challenge Cup

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Define successful?

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Well when the challenge cup was the challenge cup only 2 amateur clubs got in so who made the most appearances in 1st Round and have any Amateur Clubs beaten League sides ?? Lock Lane made it 4 times

When was the Challenge Cup not the Challenge Cup? 

disques vogue

The club where Eurovision isn't a dirty word. A waltz through the leopard skin lined world of Tom Jones, Bert Kampfert and Burt Bacharach. Step out to the sound of the happy hammond and swing to the seductive sounds of the samba.

DJ's, raffles, cocktails and wide collars. Please dress smart. Gentlemen might like to wear a suit.

Same price. Same music. Same rubbish prizes.

I recall one of the Hull (Ace Amateurs?) sides knocking Batley out of a cup comp. but it may have been the John Player.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

There's a few got to the last 16 - Egremont spring to mind for some reason - don't think anyone's got further.

Twelve Apostles might have done better with a full team. :)

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

I remember Sharlston Rovers winning away to Dewsbury despite them being 5 divisions higher.

Sharlston beat Workington 12-7 in the cup in Town's inaugural season as a pro club in 1945/6. Unfortunately for them the early rounds of the cup were over 2 legs in those days and Town saw them off easily in the return leg to progress to the next round.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

Pilkington recs gave both Cas and Wigan a game in the late 70s. Only losing by a score to each.

I recently saw the programme for that Pilks against Wigan game in 1977, Wigan were 3-2 up at half-time and won 10-4, with 11 000 in attendance, bigger than nearly all of the first division crowds from that season (for context, some of Wigan's crowds were below 4000.) The following season, it was 22-23 against Cas (and Dewbsury Celtic 5 Wigan 15 at Mount Pleasant).

Few other amateur successes from the olden days.

Risehow & Gillhead beat Keighley 10-2 (10-13 Agg) in 1947-48.

Rochdale Mayfield drew 5-5 at Hunslet in1973-4. Leigh Miners held Warrington to 16-12, at Wilderspool in 1975-6

Some good names looking back - Uno's Dabs  in 1932-33 and 1928-9 and the famous Twelve Apostles in 1927-8.

Haven't kept count, but I think Pilkingtons, Dewsbury Celtic & Leigh Miners would be ahead of Lock Lane in terms of numbers of appearances.

FWIW, from olden days, Lock Lane played professional opposition in the Challenge Cup as follows:

1972-3  L 9-37 vs Wigan

1969-70  L10-15 vs Huddersfield

1957-8 L 5-50 vs York

plus a 1st round game against Walney Central (L 5-10) in 1960

(also L 32-6 vs Whitehaven in 1974-5 John Player)

Do Toulouse count?

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

The amateurs of Beverley knocked professional side Ebbw Vale out of the cup in 1908/09. The late 20th century incarnation of the club repeated the feat in 1995, knocking Highfield out.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

dudley hill beat keighley in 2004 when they were a championship side, think its the only time an amateur team have beaten a side from the championship as opposed to championship 1

Sharlston winning at Dewsbury I think in 2003 was the other time

Archived