Most successful Amateur Club in Challenge Cup

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've never understood the persistence of an amateur/professional divide in rugby league. If a club wants to pay players, why should they be prevented from doing so or frowned upon by their peers, so long as they can live within their means and operate sustainability. It's an artificial divide and in many ways probably contributed to the polarisation of the "pro" and "amateur" games. It also means that you're either pro (or truth be told, semi-amateur) or not. No middle ground, no stepping stone for aspirational clubs.

I thought that the introduction of NL3 a few years ago was a good way of bridging the gap, but that fell by the wayside.

disques vogue

The club where Eurovision isn't a dirty word. A waltz through the leopard skin lined world of Tom Jones, Bert Kampfert and Burt Bacharach. Step out to the sound of the happy hammond and swing to the seductive sounds of the samba.

DJ's, raffles, cocktails and wide collars. Please dress smart. Gentlemen might like to wear a suit.

Same price. Same music. Same rubbish prizes.

When the NCL moved to summer the original proposal was to merge it with the current league 1and regionalise the lower divisions (including a southern division) but this obviously was too controversial hence the new pro clubs from the midlands and south.

I think the split persisted so long because the amateur clubs always played in local district leagues pre BARLA and then BARLA were always very strict. I'm led to believe there was still a semi pro Yorkshire senior league below the pro game til perhaps the 30s or 40s or even 50s plus the equivalent Lancashire clubs could play the reserve sides of the local pro club. Basically the Yorkshire senior league gave us Castleford and Featherstone

• 3 years later...
On 4/7/2015 at 4:55 PM, bowes said:
On 4/7/2015 at 4:06 PM, thepimp007 said:

dudley hill beat keighley in 2004 when they were a championship side, think its the only time an amateur team have beaten a side from the championship as opposed to championship 1

Sharlston winning at Dewsbury I think in 2003 was the other time

Sorry for dragging an old thread up just doing some looking about the challenge cup with the draw tonight.

Sharlston beat Dewsbury in 2004 when they were in National League 2

In recent times I think Wath Brow have to be up there:

Beat Workington 13-12  (2003) before losing 18-6 to Batley in the fourth round.

Beat Dewsbury (2005) 32-30  before losing to Toulouse in the fourth round

Beat London Skolars (2009) 14-12 before losing to Featherstone in the fourth round

Just beat by South Wales Scorpions 22-24 in 2012

Lost 16-32 to Toulouse in 2016

On 4/7/2015 at 8:18 AM, Trojan said:

I recall one of the Hull (Ace Amateurs?) sides knocking Batley out of a cup comp. but it may have been the John Player.

No mate.  We lost to Oldham and the Widnes the following year.  Before my time we also lost to Wigan but I don’t know much about that.

I was there when Oldham St Anne's beat Batley 8-0 in 2010.

It was 8-0 at half time and I was confident Batley would turn it around playing downhill second half.

However St Anne's held them out comfortably and were the better side. They had Matt Callard playing who was a far higher standard. 

They brought a good away support too, and a band☺

On 4/7/2015 at 10:49 PM, JonM said:

Cawoods won 9-8 at Halifax in 1977, but it was the John Player Trophy rather than the Challenge Cup. Think I'm right in saying that Cawoods became West Hull?

Not really sure how that came about Jon, as West Hull were originally a gang of lads who worked at.....??? ?....just a bit of fun, but a clue - and took that name until forming West Hull.  Cawoods amalgamated with West Hull later.

i remember them beating Halifax though.  Very consistent club over the years.

11 hours ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

We (Hunslet Parkside) are definitely aiming to take on the League 1 clubs this year and will be very disappointed if our exit from the CC isn't at the hands of a Championship/SL club. Our entry into the preseason Yorkshire Cup comp should give us some good practice in testing ourselves against the best. 

"very disappointed if our exit from the CC isn't at the hands of a Championship/SL club"

You are a quality side but totally dismissing all the league one sides (not to mention the sides in the early rounds you will need to beat to get there) stinks of arrogance.

1 hour ago, Li0nhead said:

"very disappointed if our exit from the CC isn't at the hands of a Championship/SL club"

You are a quality side but totally dismissing all the league one sides (not to mention the sides in the early rounds you will need to beat to get there) stinks of arrogance.

It’s not arrogant at all - we just believe that’s the level we’re at. I’m sorry if you expected us to be shuddering at the thought of playing the likes of West Wales, Coventry etc but that’s just not the case. We’re never go to be a semi pro club and that’s fine, we’re not trying to be, but we know the level we play at and it well exceeds that of many sides in league 1. In actual fact the draw we have against Thornhill is just about the toughest game we could’ve got in Rd 1 as in my opinion they’ll be our biggest challenge in NCL premier league this upcoming year. 

6 hours ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

It’s not arrogant at all - we just believe that’s the level we’re at. I’m sorry if you expected us to be shuddering at the thought of playing the likes of West Wales, Coventry etc but that’s just not the case. We’re never go to be a semi pro club and that’s fine, we’re not trying to be, but we know the level we play at and it well exceeds that of many sides in league 1. In actual fact the draw we have against Thornhill is just about the toughest game we could’ve got in Rd 1 as in my opinion they’ll be our biggest challenge in NCL premier league this upcoming year. 

Doncaster , Oldham , Workington , Newcastle , Hunslet and Whitehaven   Have all got very strong teams in L1 next season , particularly Workington and Newcastle , you would need a very wet and windy day at home to get passed most of those .

21 hours ago, Niels said:

I was there when Oldham St Anne's beat Batley 8-0 in 2010.

It was 8-0 at half time and I was confident Batley would turn it around playing downhill second half.

However St Anne's held them out comfortably and were the better side. They had Matt Callard playing who was a far higher standard. 

They brought a good away support too, and a band☺

The final score was 10-0 and it was 2000. We had a home draw against Castleford Tigers in round 4 but the game was switched because the local football club wanted too much money to stage the tie. Lost 64-10,Cas made us very welcome and after deductions an interim cheque was handed over. Despite the loss a good day was had by all. 

12 hours ago, Li0nhead said:

They are a very good Team but amateur rl isn't half as strong as it was 5-10 years ago, but I believe they would give a few league 1 sides a run for their money.

2 hours ago, Mr Smeaton said:

The final score was 10-0 and it was 2000. We had a home draw against Castleford Tigers in round 4 but the game was switched because the local football club wanted too much money to stage the tie. Lost 64-10,Cas made us very welcome and after deductions an interim cheque was handed over. Despite the loss a good day was had by all. 

Thanks. You are correct.  Time flies ?

It was 10-0 too. 

On 12/15/2018 at 8:31 AM, Anonymouse said:

Doncaster , Oldham , Workington , Newcastle , Hunslet and Whitehaven   Have all got very strong teams in L1 next season , particularly Workington and Newcastle , you would need a very wet and windy day at home to get passed most of those .

Not sure wet and windy would offer any benefit to us. In terms of the sides you mention, Newcastle and Workington maybe - we’d fancy our chances home or away and in any conditions against the rest. 

51 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Not sure wet and windy would offer any benefit to us. In terms of the sides you mention, Newcastle and Workington maybe - we’d fancy our chances home or away and in any conditions against the rest. 

go for it mate , i like to see the small guys topple the big guns as much as anyone but I think you are underestimating the top 5 or so of that league .

On 12/15/2018 at 12:36 PM, marklaspalmas said:

Only one amateur team has ever made the quarter-finals of the Challenge Cup, defeating two professional sides on the way.

What an achievement that wa

Which team did that?

Didn't think any amateur side ever made a quarter final

Archived