RLWC2017 qualifying starts next month

http://rlif.com/rugby-league-international-news/article/1549/road-to-world-cup-

Latvia will host Spain in Riga on May 9th to kick off the qualifying process for the World Cup. This is exciting not only because of the nations involved, and the progress they have made, but also because there will be a record number of nations involved in the qualifying process.

www.twitter.com/flyingking2

Strange. Hopefully Collier will get to grips with improving the RLIF's output in the near future.

The article mentions that more details will be announced next week, maybe this was just released as an appetizer.

Collier says that Spain and Latvia have reached the required standard 'on-and-off' the field. If we take that to mean RLEF affiliate membership or higher then we can expect Czech Republic, Greece, Italy, Malta, Norway, Russia, Serbia, Ukraine, Ireland and Wales to make up the European qualifying section.

Collier says that Spain and Latvia have reached the required standard 'on-and-off' the field.

That seems fair enough for Spain, but I don't think I was even aware of any presence in Latvia!

EDIT: Just looked them up. I've been aware of their matches, I just seem to have blocked them out of my memory

Check out upcoming international fixtures and highlights of past matches at http://rlfixtures.weebly.com

St Albans Centurions International Liaison Officer and former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

The article mentions that more details will be announced next week, maybe this was just released as an appetizer.

Collier says that Spain and Latvia have reached the required standard 'on-and-off' the field. If we take that to mean RLEF affiliate membership or higher then we can expect Czech Republic, Greece, Italy, Malta, Norway, Russia, Serbia, Ukraine, Ireland and Wales to make up the European qualifying section.

Are Lebanon included in the European qualifiers or is there a seperate Middle-East/Africa section?

I've been on the LRL website and they show four domestic teams and the intention to grow that up to eight but I can't find any evidence of any league (as in collection of teams) games being played. There's nothing showing for 2015 and I can't see any results or league tables from previous years. I know they have played internationals before but do they actually qualify to play in a WC qualifier via the RLIF's own criteria?

rldfsignature.jpg

I've been on the LRL website and they show four domestic teams and the intention to grow that up to eight but I can't find any evidence of any league (as in collection of teams) games being played. There's nothing showing for 2015 and I can't see any results or league tables from previous years. I know they have played internationals before but do they actually qualify to play in a WC qualifier via the RLIF's own criteria?

Presumably so since:

• They are affiliate RLEF members
  • They are taking part in the WC qualifiers

They have the same membership status as Spain, Greece, Italy, Czech Republic, Norway, Canada, USA etc. I don't think the RLEF would've just accepted them for no reason. Quite strange that this is being questioned TBH.

Having looked into the feasibility of this, I've found return flights for £70 and 2 nights accommodation for €30.... Very tempting!

Check out upcoming international fixtures and highlights of past matches at http://rlfixtures.weebly.com

St Albans Centurions International Liaison Officer and former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Presumably so since:

• They are affiliate RLEF members
  • They are taking part in the WC qualifiers
They have the same membership status as Spain, Greece, Italy, Czech Republic, Norway, Canada, USA etc. I don't think the RLEF would've just accepted them for no reason. Quite strange that this is being questioned TBH.

That means very little. Scotland are full members but don't fulfil the necessary criteria.

rldfsignature.jpg

FIXTURES

European Championship C - 2015

9 May – Latvia v Spain - Riga

26 Sep – Latvia/Spain v Malta - TBD

10 Oct – Malta v Greece - Marsa

17 Oct – Greece v Latvia/Spain - Athens

Fixtures

16 May – Serbia v Russia - Belgrade

20 June – Italy v Serbia - Gemona

27 June – Ukraine v Russia *

18 July – Ukraine v Italy - Kiev

12 Sept – Ukraine v Serbia - Uzhgorod / Russia v Italy - Moscow

I suspect those fixtures may be wrong, as there's no mention of Latvia/Spain playing Malta.

Greece have 3 matches, Malta only have 1

The final game at Leigh Sports Village could be a cracker. Is it a foregone conclusion that Wales and Ireland will qualify or could we see one or both at Leigh? In a rematch of Wales against Italy it would be difficult to judge who would be the favourite to take the last qualifying space. Italy against either Serbia or Russia could be another classic. Greece looked strong last year, how will they cope against better opposition? Can Spain's rapid rise continue? This process throws up lots of exciting possibilities, and I am looking forward to how it all plays out.

www.twitter.com/flyingking2

It's my understanding that the match on 26/09 is Latvia/Spain v Malta, not Greece

Is anyone able to explain why the Czech Republic is not part of this qualifying process?

Supposedly because they were 'relegated' from European C last year. Which doesn't really make any sense since Spain and Latvia were able to enter and didn't even participate in the competition. It seems like the European competitions are being viewed more as guidelines rather than actual official qualification tournaments, which is garbage IMO as the WC qualifiers should be a separate process and every nation should be allowed to enter.

The final game at Leigh Sports Village could be a cracker. Is it a foregone conclusion that Wales and Ireland will qualify or could we see one or both at Leigh? In a rematch of Wales against Italy it would be difficult to judge who would be the favourite to take the last qualifying space. Italy against either Serbia or Russia could be another classic. Greece looked strong last year, how will they cope against better opposition? Can Spain's rapid rise continue? This process throws up lots of exciting possibilities, and I am looking forward to how it all plays out.

Italy could potentially beat Wales or Ireland, but everyone else is a mile off

I was hoping a spot would of been put aside for countries who only use home grown domestic players rather than a whole team of grandparent ring inns.As it stands Wales Ireland and Italy will qualify.Serbia Russia Ukraine have no chance.Greece beat Serbia last year with 8 Australian based players, so imagine what they will do to them with a whole squad of them.IMO it should be 50-50 split of heritage/domestic players in a match day squad of 18.

Archived