RLWC2017 qualifying starts next month

One spot for the Americas, one for Middle East Africa and the other teams will come from Asia-Pacific. Full details yet to be revealed, but should be known shortly.

www.twitter.com/flyingking2

30th October Dubai will host the Middle East Africa qualification when Lebanon take on South Africa. Cracking location for the game, having visited Dubai earlier this year, can recommend it as a top holiday destination.

http://rlif.com/rugby-league-international-news/article/1551/dubai-to-host-rlwc-qualifier

www.twitter.com/flyingking2

The timing is in favour of Lebanon who could call on plenty of heritage players to improve their chances of coming through this game. I thought the RLIF were going to time these games so they were in season meaning heritage players in the SL and NRL were unlikely to play?

rldfsignature.jpg

30th October Dubai will host the Middle East Africa qualification when Lebanon take on South Africa. Cracking location for the game, having visited Dubai earlier this year, can recommend it as a top holiday destination.

http://rlif.com/rugby-league-international-news/article/1551/dubai-to-host-rlwc-qualifier

It's a shame UAE are not involved in the tournament, other than hosts. Though, I don't think they have that many Emiratis playing yet

Check out upcoming international fixtures and highlights of past matches at http://rlfixtures.weebly.com

St Albans Centurions International Liaison Officer and former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

The timing is in favour of Lebanon who could call on plenty of heritage players to improve their chances of coming through this game. I thought the RLIF were going to time these games so they were in season meaning heritage players in the SL and NRL were unlikely to play?

What? No. Why is heritage players playing in World Cup Qualifiers a bad thing?

It's a shame UAE are not involved in the tournament, other than hosts. Though, I don't think they have that many Emiratis playing yet

They have a domestic league but only one player is Emirati.

They need to have Affiliate membership of the RLEF before they can enter I believe and are currently Observers. I expect they'll join the 2021 qualifiers

Wasn't that floated as an idea because the Russians (and/or someone else?) didn't like playing sides stacked with heritage players? Not sure that was ever practical really, and I suspect there would've been more, and potentially louder voices arguing against it. The only way to have a completely level playing field is to run a comp based entirely on domestic or homegrown players - something the RLWC is never likely to be. 

Wasn't that floated as an idea because the Russians (and/or someone else?) didn't like playing sides stacked with heritage players? Not sure that was ever practical really, and I suspect there would've been more, and potentially louder voices arguing against it. The only way to have a completely level playing field is to run a comp based entirely on domestic or homegrown players - something the RLWC is never likely to be.

I just think that as long as the team that qualifies is broadly similar to the team that plays in the WC, that's fine

Check out upcoming international fixtures and highlights of past matches at http://rlfixtures.weebly.com

St Albans Centurions International Liaison Officer and former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

I just think that as long as the team that qualifies is broadly similar to the team that plays in the WC, that's fine

Given the length of time between qualifiers and the actual tournament, I'm not too sure much can be done to ensure that. In an ideal world we'd have the best players turning out for every country at every opportunity, but the RL world is far from ideal. As it is, even those nations who rely heavily on heritage players outside of World Cups tend to replace many of them with an allegedly better standard of heritage player when the RLWC comes round. 

I'd say the team that qualifies should be the team that plays.

What if players are injured or unavailable for personal reasons? I don't have a problem with heritage players as such. It's when, like a lot of the Italy team in 2013, they only come out of the woodwork for the glory games and don't put anything back into the game in their heritage country.

rldfsignature.jpg

What if players are injured or unavailable for personal reasons? I don't have a problem with heritage players as such. It's when, like a lot of the Italy team in 2013, they only come out of the woodwork for the glory games and don't put anything back into the game in their heritage country.

Aye, that's the thing. It will never be 100% the same team. But as long as you don't just snub all the players that got you through the qualifiers (I'm thinking USA in 2013), then I'm fine with it

Will the Americas qualifying tournament simply be a three-nation series between USA, Canada and Jamaica?

I would have thought so. Possibly Mexico, though I'm not sure where they're at at the moment with regards to a national team

I would have thought so. Possibly Mexico, though I'm not sure where they're at at the moment with regards to a national team

There will be minimum criteria to meet (I believe full or affiliate RLEF membership is needed)

There will be minimum criteria to meet (I believe full or affiliate RLEF membership is needed)

True. Which, if they are being held this year, would definitely rule them out. If it was next year then maybe, although I'm not sure what they have in the way of a domestic league other than 9s

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

As suspected, the Lebanon v South Africa match has changed venue and will now be played in Pretoria, South Africa over 2 matches (25th and 31st October)

Archived