Italy RL - FIRL/LIRFL split (Merged threads)

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/opinion/italys-recognition-of-rugby-league-as-a-legitimate-sport-shows-how-rugby-league-is-still-growing/story-fns99y8z-1227306881196

Oh, there are going to be some old RU guys in Italy having apoplectic fits over that! All their hard work of lying, cheating, bending the rules, abusing political influence and trying to exterminate the 13-man code, overturned. I hope they choke to death on it!  B)

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/opinion/italys-recognition-of-rugby-league-as-a-legitimate-sport-shows-how-rugby-league-is-still-growing/story-fns99y8z-1227306881196

Oh, there are going to be some old RU guys in Italy having apoplectic fits over that! All their hard work of lying, cheating, bending the rules, abusing political influence and trying to exterminate the 13-man code, overturned. I hope they choke to death on it!  B)

Yeah... well, no.

http://www.federleague.it/287-federleague-la-fir-ufficializza-l-entrata-della-firfl-nella-sua-famiglia

The FIRFL (the breakaway group, to be known as the Lega IRFL from now) has been recongised by the FIR (italian rugby federation) as a member with the ambition to developp the 'modalita' 'rugby a 13' and 'rugby a 9'. The FIR being a recognised governing body, 'rugby a 13' and 'rugby a 9' become de facto recognised sports.

No much chocking.

So it's not good news at all. Ah well, the article was "written" by Mal Meninga so we shouldn't have expected it to be fact-based. After all, as Mal said, "What's RL ever done for me?"

The only thing the FIR can do is play a domestic league. Since the other Italy RL is a member of RLEF, the RU version won't be able to play internationals against any other RLEF/RLIF members.

The RLEF should have stepped in earlier to resolve whatever issues were splitting the 2 RLs.

FIRFL come in agreement with the Italian Rugby Federation (FIR) and now is
under CONI

The FIRFL, now known as Lega IRFL on Wednesday, 15 April was officially
announced to be recognised by the Italian Rugby Federation (FIR) in an
historic development partnership. The Lega IRFL is recognised as the
association committed to the sport and growth of rugby league (for rugby a
13 and rugby a 9).

This now means, the Lega IRFL now falls under CONI (the Italian National
Olympic Committee) and effectively, the IOC. Only one rugby league
federation can come under FIR and CONI.

“IRFL - The Federal Council has unanimously approved the acknowledgement of
the Association called Lega Italia Rugby Football League (hereafter
referred to as Lega IRFL) withan registered office in Rome, Via Santa Croce
in Gerusalemme 63, which sports association under the federal support,
committed to the activity in the form of Rugby a 13 and Rugby a 9.”
Link:
http://federugby.it/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_download&gid=3612&Itemid=97

The Lega IRFL will now focus their attention on their International Rugby
League match against BARA (British Asian Rugby Association) who will be
lead by former rugby league legends Ikram Butt and Garry Schofield (as
coach) in Rome on May 16.

Just to point out the FIRFL / Lega IRFL is still it's own sports assocation but under FIR... The same thing happens in Norway RL and now/soon South Africa RL. Both of those feds are/will be government recognised that way.

rugby league isn't recognised by sports accord / IOC (as most know)

FIRFL would hence still be able to play any national team (if they were in RLEF I mean)

Interesting that firfl are now the only legal body for rugby league in Italy.

I guess it comes down to how much Govt $$$ is available to tap into. In AUS there is very little direct Govt money going into RL. It is more indirect, like providing a grant to Warringah Council for work on Brookvale Oval or using Inglis or Thurston in education and health promotions aimed at Aboriginals.

Without knowing the Italian numbers, it's hard to decide. From the perspective of the breakaway RL it is a great strategic move to bolster their credibility as the legitimate representative of RL in Italy.

I still don't like it. I still think the RLEF dropped the ball by not being more aggressive in forcing some sort of merger/conciliation between the 2 RLs, and/or negotiating recognition of RL by the Italian Govt.

http://www.onrugby.it/2014/10/28/fondi-coni-il-calcio-perde-25-milioni-di-euro-il-rugby-guadagna-il-22/

2.7 M€. The FIR is a relatively rich governing body anyway, it's loosing a silly amount of money on these two pro 12 sides by example. 

PS: the amount the football federation recieved versus the other federations is kind of crazy.

I still think the RLEF dropped the ball by not being more aggressive in forcing some sort of merger/conciliation between the 2 RLs, and/or negotiating recognition of RL by the Italian Govt.

I don't understand why the RLIF forced the USA to sort their predicament out but not Italy.

rldfsignature.jpg

I don't understand why the RLIF forced the USA to sort their predicament out but not Italy.

My guess: There is no umbrella Federation for USA, Canada, Jamaica, etc. Thus direct RLIF communication was the most appropriate method.

The RLIF were not too interested in either.  There is only so much the RLEF could do, ultimately the AmRFL died off as it was a basket case, and the RLEF did not not (if you follow) give encouragement to the USARL.

In the Italian case, it is seen very differently.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

Historic Day For Rugby League in Italy

Wednesday, April 15, 2015 was an historic day, unforgettable, for Italian Rugby League. The reason it can be read directly in the statement of the Italian Rugby Federation (FIR) that day in Chapter 3.8, under the title “Irfl: examine statute and request for taking act”.

“IRFL - The Federal Council has unanimously approved the acknowledgement of the Association called Lega Italia Rugby Football League (hereafter referred to as Lega IRFL) wit han registered office in Rome, Via Santa Croce in Gerusalemme 63, that is a sports association under the federal support, committed to the activity in the form of Rugby a 13 and Rugby a 9.”

An historical recognition, which opens horizons for the impressive new Lega IRFL, from now on even more "appetising" for players from Italian rugby union: a new showcase, new possibilities for involvement, for example, athletes playing in Eccellenza (the top Italian rugby championship) that could work on and improve more technical aspects like the impact, pace, technique and other aspects from rugby league and that can expand the boundaries of their international experience.

With this brief excerpt, in essence, the Fir committed to the ideas, proposals and the vision of the new Lega IRFL: an act much more than formal and an absolutely decisive step for the growth of the whole Italian Rugby League movement.

In light of this "incorporation" in Federugby, there might be a revised schedule of international engagements for the Lega IRFL, although the great event between the Italian Azzurri (Firfl) and the British selection of BARA  (British Asian Rugby Association) on May 16 in Rome at "Tre Fontane" stadium remains absolutely confirmed.

Almost inevitably, also, from next year there will be expansion of the number of teams participating in the championship. Among other things, the official website of Federleague (www.federleague.it) will have a second domain www.fir13.it with a "redirect" to the main one to pay homage to the decision of Federugby.

Six years after the birth, which took place in 2009, and with four teams participating in the first championship in 2010, the movement of the Italian rugby to 13, and again launched an Italian Cup the following year in February and March, it has official recognition from FIR. "A great pride mixed with satisfaction - says the General  Secretary of the Lega Irfl Pierluigi Gentile who from the beginning has fueled this project - a crucial step in our desire to grow and improve.”

On the surface it sounds like a step forward that Rugby League and rugby onion can work together, to further both sports. However, Rugby League has made solid strides in Italy, through both official and non-officially RLEF recognised organisations. To see that potentially jeopardised if union at some point decides to withdraw its support, where clubs, players and officials choose to remain loyal to a governing body they will have developed an affinity for, is of great concern.

Personally, I don't believe that any nation whose funding or accreditation comes from a rival code should ever be given any green light to take part in international competition. They should be welcome to play, and develop the game, but through lack of backbone or persistence they should foreit their right to take their place within the Rugby League community.

Lega IRFL No Longer Rebels

After many years of words, the doubts are finally gone. The world of international rugby league calling for clarity on FIRL (federation that was in the RLWC 2013) and FIRFL (federation with the largest number of participants and most present on the Italian territory), has been satisfied.

The Firfl, in fact, since last April 15 has officially become Lega IRFL Irfl and was recognized by the Italian Rugby Federation (FIR) and then by CONI (English: Italian National Olympic Committee), along the same lines as rugby sevens (7 a-side) and beach rugby, under the support of the FIR, officially conducts rugby activity, defined as he code (game) of rugby league (Rugby a XIII).

This has historical and statistical implications: the Lega IRFL is the first rugby league movement recognised in Italy in history, the first rugby league federation in partnership with a major rugby union federation (the Fir, in fact), and the second of the world's rugby league recognized by IOC (Norge Rugby League is under Norge Rugby Bond, while South Africa Rugby League is going through the same process as Lega IRFL with SARU and SASOC).

This will have important operational aspects, regarding the possibility for clubs and rugby union players (77k in Italy), to be able to play in the in the newly formed championship ‘Lega’ (and finally in the only official Italian national rugby league body in the country) with full insurance coverage and with the approval of the FIR. The insurance coverage of the players will be the same given to the clubs and players in rugby union. It is inevitable that this will be a driving force for a movement that, compared to other recognized specialties, will help at least on some technical and tactical aspects rugby union, as is already being done in the most major rugby union bodies.

"We are really proud and happy for this recognition - said the Lega IRFL General Secretary Pierluigi Gentile - especially because for years we were given false information about us from other pseudo reality. It's funny now to think that we were called "rebels" for years and now instead, finally, a kind of justice has stated that the "rebels” are the others. Over five years ago we took our way for two important reasons: because we always thought fundamental right and relate in a serene and constructive dialogue with the Fir from which we come and we thank them, and then because we are Italians and , in our view , it was right that the our National was the expression of a movement created in the territory .Six years ago we took our way for two important reasons: because we have always thought fundamentally and to relate calmly and constructively with the Fir, from which we all come and given thanks to them and then because we are Italians and, in our opinion, it was right that our national team was the expression of a movement created in the territory. It is too simple to call players only for a world cup (and qualifiers), when there are guys for years who play, sweat and struggle in your championships. As long as I do, we will never leave them out. I have nothing against the heritage player, rather they are a help, but we need these same players in the first place to play in our championship, that actually help to improve the level and, in doing so, will certainly be part of our national teams. The hope now - says Gentile - is that the European institutions do not block our development, as was the case until recently, using the pretext that we were not recognized. We are now recognized and we hope, as already happened in London, at Westminster (the movement thanks to the Member of Parliament, Greg Mulholland MP), of being welcomed and listened to. We want the national teams or foreign clubs that can finally as many times there has been requested, to confront us, to allow us to improve and grow again."

An inevitable thanks, at this point of the growth of Italian Rugby League: “A special thanks goes to all the Fir and in particular, the attorney Nino Sacca and President Alfredo Gavazzi who have ferried, following the directions given to us by the CONI president Malagò. I would like to thank all those who contributed to our movement from the beginning, and even those who have supported us over the years, but unfortunately some have chosen other roads. I hope that finally, who manages the few clubs in the other pseudo association, does not prevent their guys to play in a championship that is finally recognized. Now players can stay calmly, under a legal profile and insurance, to play the game of rugby league in Ital . I invite them - concludes Gentile - to yct in the interest of their players and rugby league and we will welcome them with open arms.

insurance for players - check

PRO rugby players (or any player really) more likely to play RL now - check

Lega IRFL under CONI and IOC - check

Lega IRFL open to any other RL player or club to join - check

a lot greater funding - check

clarity on FIRFL (federation that was in the RLWC 2013) and FIRFL (federation with the largest number of participants and most present on the Italian territory),

You might want to modify that bit. It's good to see that I'm not the only one that had been confused by the similar names at least

Check out upcoming international fixtures and highlights of past matches at http://rlfixtures.weebly.com

St Albans Centurions International Liaison Officer and former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

Also, is there now clarity? Because there still seems to be more than one governing body

Check out upcoming international fixtures and highlights of past matches at http://rlfixtures.weebly.com

St Albans Centurions International Liaison Officer and former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

Archived