Huyton RL

Just found this as a new member.

I followed Huyton's fortunes, as we used to live in the closest prefab to the Liverpool City ground in Knotty Ash. My dad used to take bicycles in at 6d a go from the supporters of St Helens, Widnes, Wigan and Warrington etc.

I used to get 6d, but usually spent it at the shop which was situated in the front left of the huge car park and would then bunk in! 

I went to see Huyton now and again even though we moved from Knotty Ash in 1958 and was at Wilderspool in 1975 when Huyton led the Wires 6-4 at half time before losing 20-6 (I think).

Warrington went on to win the Cup that year and John Bevan was in the team I believe.

I also seem to recall a cup game at Alt Park when the mighty Leigh, coached by Alex Murphy, were held to a draw and only won the replay 2-0! Anyone remember those games? 

Does any other Huyton fan remember an older guy simply called "The Voice" and is a guy called Phil Kelly (ex Holt High) out there somewhere?

Johnnycool

John Barnes at the Holt from 1961-67

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They were re-incarnations of Blackpool Borough, although the history is more complex with them splitting into 2 clubs, then Lancashire Lynx and so on.

I watched quite a few Huyton games in the late 70s/early 80s and most of Runcorn's home games the season that John Cogger played, he was way too good for that level of RL. Wasn't the best at avoiding trouble in pubs though.

Great RL Stalwart that Geoff Fletcher was, he was effectively taking 1/30th share of the money the RFL had coming in and using it for his hobby. Huyton was (and is even more so now) the kind of place that makes other RL playing towns in the north look a bit posh.

Chuckle I watched Huyton sometimes back then.   I think they made more money from the social club then anything else. It was easier to get served when you where errm not so old, and pubs shut at 3pm in those days but you could get a drink down at the rugby club.

Being an Huyton chap meself... I didn't know their where posh places in the North...

Just found this as a new member.

I followed Huyton's fortunes, as we used to live in the closest prefab to the Liverpool City ground in Knotty Ash. My dad used to take bicycles in at 6d a go from the supporters of St Helens, Widnes, Wigan and Warrington etc.

I used to get 6d, but usually spent it at the shop which was situated in the front left of the huge car park and would then bunk in! 

I went to see Huyton now and again even though we moved from Knotty Ash in 1958 and was at Wilderspool in 1975 when Huyton led the Wires 6-4 at half time before losing 20-6 (I think).

Warrington went on to win the Cup that year and John Bevan was in the team I believe.

I also seem to recall a cup game at Alt Park when the mighty Leigh, coached by Alex Murphy, were held to a draw and only won the replay 2-0! Anyone remember those games? 

Does any other Huyton fan remember an older guy simply called "The Voice" and is a guy called Phil Kelly (ex Holt High) out there somewhere?

Johnnycool

John Barnes at the Holt from 1961-67

Don't know him as regards to your question.

Welcome to the forum as per your opening comment. Not least as you where not too far away from myself and we both occasionally watched Huyton.

I won't crack the obvious jokes regards reference to the diddy men.... It took a while before I realised where Knotty Ash was as I always mixed it up with Old Swan or Dovecot...

Incidentally I was at Seel Road School seeing as you mention Holt

Liverpool FC were football league champions a couple of times in the Edwardian era and a couple more in the 1920s, Everton won their first title in the 1890s.

Liverpool RFC was the world's first "open" rugby club (as in not a school, university or hospital team).  I've seen a quote in a book, from the Liverpool Mercury a couple of years after the NU split, which said "The Rugby Code in Liverpool and district will in a few years be as extinct as a dodo" because there were only a handful of RU clubs left in Lancashire, but switching to NU never seemed to be under consideration by Liverpool.

Tony Collins book goes into lots of detail about how and why the division in Lancashire between football and rugby came about, if you're interested.

not entirely 100% accurate, the rugby union club was originally registered as liverpool football club before the split at everton spawned liverpool AFC, when liverpool fc became liverpool sthelens the football club were able to drop the A and became liverpool FC. at no point were the rugby club known as liverpool RFC

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1455957_262746450543197_276002364_n.jpg

I remember John Cogger playing for Runcorn when all the first team players went on strike and they turned up with the " A " team plus Cogger. He had to play because he was their only contracted player I believe. They got battered about 80-2 I think but Cogger really gave it a go. He must have punched every Hornets player at least twice. A real trier with a fair amount of ability.

Always a big regret that I never saw Huyton at Alt Park. As students at Liverpool University in the early 80s, our (me and small group of RL followers) first year coincided with the club's last season at the ground. Off we went, most Sundays, to watch Saints, Wigan, Wire or Widnes, but never got to Alt Park. As I recall, we really wanted to see Huyton versus Doncaster but, unfortunately, the fixture fell out of term time. We did make some amends the following season by watching Runcorn Highfield several times at Canal Street. I remember, very clearly, Geoff Fletcher's voice booming out across the ground, barking "meet om", every time the opposition had possession. Some years after graduation, I did finally see a game at Alt Park, albeit Knowsley United FC. Not quite the same!

• 3 years later...

I began supporting Huyton at some time during the 1970s as I lived close to the ground and went home and away for years - often being one of just two or three away fans.  In all the many years of watching them through to their demise I only saw four away wins: at Halifax, Doncaster, Blackpool and Chorley - although we were robbed 10-9 at Dewsbury by a last minute penalty that the ref admitted was a bad decision in the bar after the game!  Went to games on National Express coaches or the train and a  couple of times was allowed on the team coach  by Geoff Fletcher.  Memorable home games included a 32-10 home win over Hull FC and and a 21-20 win over Hull KR which included them missing a last minute conversion.  Wonderful times and met some brilliant people.

Back in the old days you always had a better class of stragglers, imagine Huyton or Donny bringing in a Aussie coach! and they always seemed to put the full number out from somewhere, the likes of WWR can't even lie about their crowd's properly never mind have the coach wear a ridiculous wig.

And of course in these 'enlightend' times you can't call them ###### and a waste of space, you have to have sympathy for them and applaud them for the fine job they are doing giving a bunch of Rah-Rahs some pocket money in their off season. Geoff Fletcher and Sam Morton must be spinning in their graves?

On 22/04/2015 at 12:16, CiderWire said:

Runcorn Highfield, I recall them being around in '88 when I used to work on the Astmoor Estate

Ah, the Astmoor estate. I worked a summer there after my A-levels for Welsh Water testing for nasty chemicals n stuff.

Apparently Allan Bateman was working there just a few years before whilst playing for the Wire (even pro converts still had ‘real’ jobs back then).

1 hour ago, koli said:

Unfortunately he passed away not too long ago.

A darkly humorous and slightly tasteless anecdote, but I'll share anyway.

30 odd years ago, we went on the away trip to see Barrow play Runcorn Highfield. One of the lads told me he'd asked about Geoff Fletcher at the bar and whether he still wore the wig. 

The barman said he'd stopped wearing it. Apparently, at his father's funeral, it slipped off his head and into the grave! 

How true it is, I don't know, but it was a great tale about one of the game's greatest unsung heroes. 

On 24/04/2015 at 13:11, MancRL said:

Didn't Manchester Rugby Club play in Kersal;Salford, before moving to Cheadle,Cheshire?

Even Bell Vue Rangers were originally a Salford club. Proper Manchester has never really had a tradition of playing either code of Rugby.

Manchester  played at Moor Lane, Salford now the home of Salford City FC. Belle Vue Rangers were originally Broughton Rangers. The City of Salford once had three RL sides! 

The Huyton shirts look like my old school P.E. kit! I've got the match day programme from this game and the comments in the club notes section are just as scathing, but refreshingly honest, about the Dons as Geoff Fletcher is towards his men: "So it goes on, defeat after defeat. The last two defeats st Swinton and Keighley being particularly bad with the opposition being allowed to score practically at will due to some feeble tackling, especially in the backs." The front cover also has a fantastic illustration of the late, great Barry Banham who scores the match-winning try.

On 29/12/2019 at 13:24, Greg said:

Sorry, Tony Banham! ? I think that he later went on to play for Huyton

He did indeed. He used to play for the same Hull amateur team as me on a Saturday then turn out for Geoff Fletcher on the Sunday.

He sometimes took our halfbacks with him too. 

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

On 28/12/2019 at 12:03, koli said:

Unfortunately he passed away not too long ago.

He was still alive when I asked though!

RIP Geoff.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

On 28/12/2019 at 11:57, Cheshire Setter said:

Ah, the Astmoor estate. I worked a summer there after my A-levels for Welsh Water testing for nasty chemicals n stuff.

Apparently Allan Bateman was working there just a few years before whilst playing for the Wire (even pro converts still had ‘real’ jobs back then).

One of the girls who worked in the factory was the girlfriend of 

On 28/12/2019 at 11:57, Cheshire Setter said:

One of the girls who worked at our place was involved with a certain John Cogger. She did invite me back to her place one barmy afternoon and although I admit I was tempted by what was offered, the gentleman in me politely declined....... so did the coward in me who remembered who she was seeing at the time. Pity

Archived