RU's Dirty Tricks Unit operating in UAE.

The second round of Nissan Rugby League Cup matches will go ahead as scheduled on Friday, despite the threat of a criminal investigation.

The UAE Rugby (sic) Federation, whose remit is union, released a statement on Thursday pointing out they are the only government-recognised ruling body for rugby codes in this country.

As such, it is at their discretion (so they claim) as to who can officially bear the title “UAE Rugby” in their name.

http://www.thenational.ae/sport/rugby/nissan-rugby-league-cup-to-go-ahead-amid-threat-of-legal-action-by-uae-rugby-federation

An old dodge, as we all know.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Can we just change the sport's name already?

To "#### You Rugby Union"?

Check out upcoming international fixtures and highlights of past matches at http://rlfixtures.weebly.com

St Albans Centurions International Liaison Officer and former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

Seriously though, to what?

Cellar door? At least it sounds nicer than the awful word 'rugby'.

In all seriousness, 'League Football'? We have to get rid of the stigma somehow. Even in the UK, I know people who won't even give RL a chance because they say they 'hate rugby', based on preconceptions stemming from RU. To be honest even I'm embarrassed to tell people I'm a rugby fan in case they get the wrong idea.

Seriously though, to what?

How about Fieldball.As in the game born in HuddersFIELD and played on a field.We can take footballs approach ,Football in countries where it's popular and Soccer where it's developing.So the proper name would always be Rugby League but in newer countries Fieldball can be the name of our great sport.

Its a good piece.

I particularly liked the bit that said "union has made every effort to lay claim to many RL innovations - red/yellow cards, sin-bins, video refs, blood-bins" - I often forget that RL invented all of these things and shared them with the sporting world.....

I particularly liked the bit that said "union has made every effort to lay claim to many RL innovations - red/yellow cards, sin-bins, video refs, blood-bins" - I often forget that RL invented all of these things and shared them with the sporting world.....

First Rugby to do them all.

How about Fieldball.As in the game born in HuddersFIELD and played on a field.We can take footballs approach ,Football in countries where it's popular and Soccer where it's developing.So the proper name would always be Rugby League but in newer countries Fieldball can be the name of our great sport.

The game was born in Rugby the organisation of the League was born in Huddersfield. We could call ourselves Rugby League.

Didn't football have red and yellow cards first? Didn't ice hockey have sin bins first? Didn't American Football have video refs first?

rldfsignature.jpg

No just reiterating history for reasons of clarity and honesty. We have the Rugby name for a reason and are no less entitled to it than any other rugby code.

Rewriting known history to make a point is not honesty and does nothing for clarity. You have attempted to rewrite history.

Didn't football have red and yellow cards first? Didn't ice hockey have sin bins first? Didn't American Football have video refs first?

Yes along with many other other innovations that orginated in other sports.

Rewriting known history to make a point is not honesty and does nothing for clarity. You have attempted to rewrite history.

The game of rugby football was not born in rugby?

The formation of the NRFU league system was not born out of the meeting of the first 22 clubs?

22 teams playing essentially improved RU in a new league was the initial outcome of the Huddersfield meeting.

Where is the rewrite? If you have no requirement for detail then RL was invented in 1895 in the George Hotel in Huddersfield. In terms of cementing the entitlement RL has to its own heritage then back of fag packet simplicity is not good enough.

Exactly my point, but apparently some in RL feel hard done by as RU adopted these and didn't credit RL with "inventing" them.

Crazy world we live in.

Exactly my point, but apparently some in RL feel hard done by as RU adopted these and didn't credit RL with "inventing" them.

Crazy world we live in.

One can only hope RU eventually follows RL and starts running and passing with the ball,who knows you then might have a game worth watching.

• 8 months later...

Amazingly - given the events in Rugby League in the UAE in 2015, the Sydney Roosters have seen fit to organise a training camp in Dubai en route to the UK.

A guy went to jail for organising Rugby League in the UAE a few months ago.

Australian crassness at it's absolute worst.

http://www.theroar.com.au/2016/01/06/mascord-roosters-dubai-trip-raises-a-load-of-questions/

Rugby League: Alive and Handling

Amazingly - given the events in Rugby League in the UAE in 2015, the Sydney Roosters have seen fit to organise a training camp in Dubai en route to the UK.

A guy went to jail for organising Rugby League in the UAE a few months ago.

Australian crassness at it's absolute worst.

http://www.theroar.com.au/2016/01/06/mascord-roosters-dubai-trip-raises-a-load-of-questions/

Lets hope Mascords article isn't the only one and we have some of the fabled values of RL come out.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived