single sheet programmes

There are numerous examples of single sheet progs AFAIK.

Many were issued in the changeover to Sunday rugby where you bought a programme as the entrance fee, to get around the Sunday trading laws. However, I can't work out why at some games a programme was issued and then others it was a single sheet - thats only going from my own collection from a single club - maybe they fluctuated between Saturdays and Sundays as game day. There are still 1 or 2 from that period that never seem to appear.

I started to put together a list of single sheets for Featherstone Rovers, then I realised I would have to expand the list to include all sorts of irregularities. Ive got what I sincerely hope is a definitive list (at least post 1960 anyway) of the following categories:

1. Games with just a single sheet/card only and no programme. Often hastily rearranged fixtures or Cup replays.

2. Games where nothing at all was printed. There have been a few, including some games in France.

3. Fixtures where two programmes were printed, one for the original fixture date and one for the rearranged date.

4. Rearranged fixtures where only the original programme was re-used, sometimes with an updated teamsheet inserted.

5. Sunday supplement teamsheets from the late 60s and early 70s when the sheet actually acted as the entrance ticket.

6. Double programmes which covered two home fixtures (Grrrrr! Just wrong!).

7. Game On magazines and their supplements from 2009 and 2010, two years which were a nightmare to work out who was printing what. Chaos.

8. Programmes printed for games that never took place. Only ever happened once to Featherstone Rovers AFAIK, and of course is as rare as dodo poo. (Thanks for the scan BNF).

Archived