Mirfield Stags

Anyone know where Mirfield got their players? They seem surprisingly strong for a new side and all the Dewsbury clubs have gone summer now and alongside Dewsbury Rams running reserves there doesn't seem to be any problems with player numbers. Is there another source I'm missing?

Sheffield Eagles have a reserve side too - who is playing for Hallam Eagles?

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

Sheffield Eagles have a reserve side too - who is playing for Hallam Eagles?

The point is if a team turns up unexpectedly strongly they must have got their players from somewhere but all the other local clubs are strong and they've lost players to a new reserve team

Anyone know where Mirfield got their players? They seem surprisingly strong for a new side and all the Dewsbury clubs have gone summer now and alongside Dewsbury Rams running reserves there doesn't seem to be any problems with player numbers. Is there another source I'm missing?

Most of the are from the Mirfield area. A lot of players from the Mirfield area have been travelling to other areas to play so that player-base has always been in the town, just playing elsewhere. 

Ah makes sense then if they've had players playing out of town for so long and got a lot of good players, and two teams worth of players for that matter. Brighouse isn't too far away so if they don't sort things out could see players drifting over

I've been thinking about this sort of town for a while - I think RL has been stuck with its power-bases in a lot of towns that were big or up-and-coming pre-war. Oldham's a good example - I think at one point it was maybe in the top 25 UK towns by population (actually 12th in 1851 according to Wikipedia), but now it's maybe around 75th, and is continuing to shrink.

Mirfield's on the opposite trajectory however - it might only be about 20,000 people, but it's increasing steadily, and is likely to have a much younger demographic. So, it's vital that, as well as keeping on supporting the traditional clubs like Oldham, in areas like Mirfield that are hardly covered at all by RL, but are young and ripe for colonisation, new clubs should be supported as much as possible - it should be like pushing at an open door, and their strength will hopefully feed back into the more established set-ups.

I've been thinking about this sort of town for a while - I think RL has been stuck with its power-bases in a lot of towns that were big or up-and-coming pre-war. Oldham's a good example - I think at one point it was maybe in the top 25 UK towns by population (actually 12th in 1851 according to Wikipedia), but now it's maybe around 75th, and is continuing to shrink.

Mirfield's on the opposite trajectory however - it might only be about 20,000 people, but it's increasing steadily, and is likely to have a much younger demographic. So, it's vital that, as well as keeping on supporting the traditional clubs like Oldham, in areas like Mirfield that are hardly covered at all by RL, but are young and ripe for colonisation, new clubs should be supported as much as possible - it should be like pushing at an open door, and their strength will hopefully feed back into the more established set-ups.

I think there are problems with clubs being in the wrong location due to tradition. Certain areas have lots of weak clubs struggling whereas other areas have a smaller number of strong clubs. It's hard for clubs to give up tradition and merge but realistically there isn't much alternative in some cases.

At the moment an artificially high number of clubs are kept on life support in Yorkshire just by players doubling up in summer and winter and this isn't sustainable (no coincidence that the whilst Lancashire as a whole lost 20% of sides Widnes has lost 50% as it was the area with the highest support for winter; this not being a dig at winter so much as representing the issues of having your clubs split over two playing seasons). 

On the other hand new clubs in areas like Bury and Mirfield that previously weren't covered are doing well

Good to see Robbie Paul continuing to show his support for the Stags:-

http://www.examiner.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/amateur/former-huddersfield-giants-star-robbie-9134723

With Francis Maloney, Richard Silverwood & Robbie having involvement it appears that the club can develop a high profile locally and attract young players, as well as more established ones from other clubs.

Good to see Robbie Paul continuing to show his support for the Stags:-

http://www.examiner.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/amateur/former-huddersfield-giants-star-robbie-9134723

With Francis Maloney, Richard Silverwood & Robbie having involvement it appears that the club can develop a high profile locally and attract young players, as well as more established ones from other clubs.

Developing their own young players is the way to go.

Bringing in players from other teams seems to work for a season or two but clubs who do that seem to struggle later.

• 4 weeks later...

Intermittent. Only strung together a consecutive 5 years 90's onwards.

New team not based from old bank wmc or play at old bank rec behind coop.

I played 2005-2007

Majority now are town imports

'Shaw cross juniors, Birkenshaw, Mirfield, Heckmondwike Panthers, Stainland Stags and then the Heavy woolen donkeys... WARDY, STOZZA, GT, KARL OR KEAR MUST OF DROPPED A DIGIT FROM MY MOBILE NUMBER! :clapping:

Archived