Mid season term report

Keep The Faith

Looking bottom line at recruitment/recruitment funding. As I understand it, we are restricted to 40% of Salary Cap Relevant Income as a Championship Club, or £1m as the Salary Cap finite upper limit.

Salary Cap Relevant Income includes 19 sources of income into a club, such as Gate Receipts/Shared Gate Receipts, Season Ticket sales, sponsorship income, Hospitality Sales (bars, food, etc), Profit on Merchandise sales, Owners/Director's contributions, Donations (BISSA), Advertising Revenue, Profit on Programme sales, Profit on Lotteries/Draws, profit from commercial activities. The balance is made up by BBC TV fees & Central funding/distribution from the RFL.

There is a direct relationship between amount of income generated from the above activities, and the size of recruitment budget / quality of player we can recruit. A poster on another thread argued that we need to invest in a business/marketing manager, which makes perfect common sense, especially if the package for the role was weighted towards bonus incentives based on targeted turnover in the specific income areas as listed above. We need to speculate to accumulate, and open our Club to smart ways of operating, if we are to survive and progress.

simple is simple does... :pickeat:  or we could bring an extra crowd drawing decent player and the folks will come and see.its like a circus, have an attraction like tommo and the fans will return,if not we seem to just accept the sinking thats going on far too easy. :download:

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its not a money issue, Kevin has already said that, it is an issue of availability.

Seriously, can anyone name any player better than what weve got who is 100% available and possibly more important, 100% willing to come to Batley (why would anyone come to relegation contenders)

The good player pool isn't a bottomless pit, we burned our bridges with the DR fiasco and as for a "loan player" would any other club with a better player see Batley as a good option to loan out one of their fringe players, and again, would that player want to come.

Its not a money issue, Kevin has already said that, it is an issue of availability.

Seriously, can anyone name any player better than what weve got who is 100% available and possibly more important, 100% willing to come to Batley (why would anyone come to relegation contenders)

The good player pool isn't a bottomless pit, we burned our bridges with the DR fiasco and as for a "loan player" would any other club with a better player see Batley as a good option to loan out one of their fringe players, and again, would that player want to come.

Very sensible post.

SIGNATURE

You have a point Gary, but quality players have come to Batley for 'development' under the guidance of John Kear. A combination of the right money and a quality coach should be a good enough incentive to attract and retain quality players, primarily now for next season . We need a business plan in place now, so we are fully prepared for next season, and can be speaking to the right calibre of player for the next campaign. It grieved me to see three or four Super League players on display in the Salford - Giants game last night, all been through Batley's hands.

You have a point Gary, but quality players have come to Batley for 'development' under the guidance of John Kear. A combination of the right money and a quality coach should be a good enough incentive to attract and retain quality players, primarily now for next season . We need a business plan in place now, so we are fully prepared for next season, and can be speaking to the right calibre of player for the next campaign. It grieved me to see three or four Super League players on display in the Salford - Giants game last night, all been through Batley's hands.

It should be  a source of pride that our club was part of their development. Unfortunately, guidance and development do not perhaps speak as loudly as the opportunity to earn a lot more money in a relatively short career, and to become a full-time athlete! These are aspects to the game that we will not be able to compete with SL clubs.

Those players are gone, but we should, l agree, be looking now for those players who might be able to enhance squad for next season, and who is to say that we aren't?

after pre season and first two league matches i can,t remember reading any posts about the squad being weak or the coach not being good enough.I am still confident that we will not be relegated (always any small teams priority) and once we get full squad back we will challenge most teams in this division.if anyone is confident of us being relegated i am willing to take bets within reason of course to the contrary.

after pre season and first two league matches i can,t remember reading any posts about the squad being weak or the coach not being good enough.I am still confident that we will not be relegated (always any small teams priority) and once we get full squad back we will challenge most teams in this division.if anyone is confident of us being relegated i am willing to take bets within reason of course to the contrary.

rubbish.there was plenty a fans/ex players mentioning we were short in the halfs for cover and other posistions.hell we started off world beaters and went down hill fast with a gaffer on the pitch,not a gambling man but if we had a skilled playmaker we would a won at least 5 a the games we have lost,i never got the big wraps for leatherbarrow from the off,infact his last game for keighly dident inspire me and if he was going to impress folks that should have been his day to do so been as we were his new club for the season after. not enough line breaks/40.20s, crapola dinks over to nothing time after time,i dont get all this no players around when plenty of cracking/quality halfs have moved around other squads in the past 3 months that would have done us to a tee..i think we just need to wipe this season off again and try keep the quality we have and bring in the missing link for next season if we save up.. :pickeat::download:  onwards and upwards..weres mi coat.

It should be  a source of pride that our club was part of their development. Unfortunately, guidance and development do not perhaps speak as loudly as the opportunity to earn a lot more money in a relatively short career, and to become a full-time athlete! These are aspects to the game that we will not be able to compete with SL clubs.

Those players are gone, but we should, l agree, be looking now for those players who might be able to enhance squad for next season, and who is to say that we aren't?

Not all of them went to be full time athletes DD. Despite him being demonised, what we would have given to have Gareth Moore on board this season? My point is that to compete in the wage stakes, we need to up our ante off the field. If we resource a business/marketing manager to support Iro review and develop the Club, and it's various income streams, we are at least attempting to be competitive in an environment where the Hunslets and the Doncasters are out muscling us in the funding of new players ( all due respect to those clubs.)

But their not coming anymore, either because they're not available or the proposition isnt as attractive as it once was. Batley are no longer a Championshp Grand Final winning side, theyre seen as a once half decent side on the slide, not somewhere anyone would want to come to try and re-invent themselves like Walton, Johnson, Brown etc, etc did in past seasons and i serioualy doubt the "Joh Kear" effect will come into play for anyone anymore, regardless of his undoubted qualities, in reality he's coaching a relegation bound team, again not an attractive arena for any player to come into.

The feel good factor has gone, thats now at Dewsbury and good luck to them if they can ride the wave longer than Batley did, they certainally appear to be grabbing it and building on the process where Batley never did after the GF win.

Not all of them went to be full time athletes DD. Despite him being demonised, what we would have given to have Gareth Moore on board this season? My point is that to compete in the wage stakes, we need to up our ante off the field. If we resource a business/marketing manager to support Iro review and develop the Club, and it's various income streams, we are at least attempting to be competitive in an environment where the Hunslets and the Doncasters are out muscling us in the funding of new players ( all due respect to those clubs.)

How many times does it need to be said to be understood, MONEY ISNT THE ISSUE, Kevin himself has repeatedly said this.

I for one Gary think we may have enough in the locker to avoid the drop this season, but my concerns are for next season, if we continue deluding ourselves as a Club that we are making progress with the off field infrastructure to adequately finance and support the on field squad development that will both attract supporters and keep us long term in the Championship. Forget the apathy of 'Little Batley' and 'no one is interested'. Just look at the attendances and support when we reached the Northern Rail and Grand Finals.

I'm afraid John Kears pulling power days are over, what quality player would come to a club

that just drives the ball down the middle all day.When i read what he said in the press on

friday i nearly choked on my breakfast."I would have preferred to play a more conservative

style of rugby" For gods sake we already bore our fans to death.

......Since when has money not been an issue at Batley, Gary!

Erm, since Kevin said it, what is it you dont understand and ill try my best to help.

Just to be clear, Money to bring in a new player isnt an issue according to the Chairman.

Why would he say that if it wasn't true.

it would be with a player like GM on silly money paid under the previous guy at fev

Come on Tom, are you Moores wife, please dont get like the others who claim to know exactly how much each and every player to put boots on gets paid, i tell you what, all "these mates down the boozer" and those "who work with Moore", or "were told by the Fev kit man" or once "found his payslip behind a seat in the longstand" are clowns mate.

Money is always a factor in any sort of business. I am willing to accept that it's probably not the chief reason why we aren't able to pick up the players we need. Money certainly is relevant within the argument around bringing in someone to complement Iro on the business side of things.

Before it starts to make sense, this incomer will need to cover all their salary and the associated on-costs. This will likely equate to the cost of a decent player before a single extra penny is raised. It would be a big risk, in my view. We aren't in a position where we can take such a gamble. Throwing cash around isn't always the answer.

Money is always a factor in any sort of business. I am willing to accept that it's probably not the chief reason why we aren't able to pick up the players we need. Money certainly is relevant within the argument around bringing in someone to complement Iro on the business side of things.

Before it starts to make sense, this incomer will need to cover all their salary and the associated on-costs. This will likely equate to the cost of a decent player before a single extra penny is raised. It would be a big risk, in my view. We aren't in a position where we can take such a gamble. Throwing cash around isn't always the answer.

Fundamentally a sportsman plays to win so would be more enticed by the prospect of joining a team/club with the potential to win things. Is this where recruitment is stalling?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Few whispers doing the rounds that Fev offered us Gareth Moore on loan this week. Only rumours, though. Looks like Fev are looking to offload at the moment - Irwin 'homesick' and returned to Australia, Mendieka gone to Bradford.

r02c.gif

Few whispers doing the rounds that Fev offered us Gareth Moore on loan this week. Only rumours, though. Looks like Fev are looking to offload at the moment - Irwin 'homesick' and returned to Australia, Mendieka gone to Bradford.

If there is any truth in that it would be interesting to know why as, according to a large number of their supporters, he seems to be in outstanding form. Money issues at Fev perhaps?

If there is any truth in that it would be interesting to know why as, according to a large number of their supporters, he seems to be in outstanding form. Money issues at Fev perhaps?

More likely Ego issues

Caution is not a bad thing OD, but the right person, qualified for the job, could produce income to bring 3 or 4 quality players in. I do not think it a gamble, and what have we to lose from the current position we are in?

Caution is not a bad thing OD, but the right person, qualified for the job, could produce income to bring 3 or 4 quality players in. I do not think it a gamble, and what have we to lose from the current position we are in?

BD, I agree that something has to happen, and fast. To enlist an experienced, knowledgeable individual with the ability to produce a sustainable guaranteed income flow you would be looking at a package of at least £40K a year. Unless you got someone daft enough to accept payment based on returns. I would agree entirely, though, that something's got to change

Archived