Labour leadership contest

Which of the candidates would make you more likely to vote Labour if they win the leadership?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the candidates would make you more likely to vote Labour if they win the leadership?

• Andy Burnham
    • Yvette Cooper
    • Jeremy Corbyn
    • Liz Kendall
    • I would never vote Labour
  2. 2. Did you vote Labour in the 2015 General Election?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Do you have a vote in the Labour leadership election?

• Yes
    • No
  4. 4. Who would you vote for in the Labour leadership election?

• Andy Burnham
    • Yvette Cooper
    • Jeremy Corbyn
    • Liz Kendall

A thread to discuss the Labour Party leadership contest, spun off from the General Election thread.

Once the list of runners and riders is finalised, I'll put a poll up.

According to the bookies, Burnham is favourite closely followed by Yvette Cooper.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Twitter is going mad at the moment, 50/50 split between whether he is resigning for genuine reasons of not wanting the scrutiny or whether the Sunday papers have got some dirt on him. Either way, I imagine Tories will be celebrating as he seemed like a real threat.

I can see a Cameron v Burnham PMQ's being quite feisty.

Twitter is going mad at the moment, 50/50 split between whether he is resigning for genuine reasons of not wanting the scrutiny or whether the Sunday papers have got some dirt on him. Either way, I imagine Tories will be celebrating as he seemed like a real threat.

I can see a Cameron v Burnham PMQ's being quite feisty.

I'd assume that the papers have been digging for all the potential runners' dirt since this time last week at the very latest.

Cooper and Burnham currently front-runners, as they are the best-known, but the contest hasn't really started yet. Someone offering more of a break from the past could appeal to the party once the campaigning starts.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I think they really need to take their time.

Firstly they have to decide what they are about.  And I don't mean top tax rates and mansion taxes; in my view these were aimed at getting votes from the Old Labour types who would respond to the threat "to tax the rich until the pips squeal."

Surely Labour policy has to be based on truth not falsehood. An example in this weeks Private Eye is the long  list of quotes from Labour dating back to 1997 election campaign, with Blair/Brown/every Labourite you can think of  saying "1/2/3/4/5/6 (delete as applicable)  weeks to save the NHS"  Someone needs to tell Labour its still going strong!  

So, only with the truth  can they identify what they think is wrong and develop policies to put those wrongs right.  Then thye can pick a leader who can take that to the country.  

I'd assume that the papers have been digging for all the potential runners' dirt since this time last week at the very latest.

I think you'll find that he cannot find 34 Labour MPs to back him and the won't be the last to drop out.

It really is going to come down to Cooper vs Burnham, isn't it.

Firstly they have to decide what they are about.  And I don't mean top tax rates and mansion taxes; in my view these were aimed at getting votes from the Old Labour types who would respond to the threat "to tax the rich until the pips squeal."

Surely Labour policy has to be based on truth not falsehood. An example in this weeks Private Eye is the long  list of quotes from Labour dating back to 1997 election campaign, with Blair/Brown/every Labourite you can think of  saying "1/2/3/4/5/6 (delete as applicable)  weeks to save the NHS"  Someone needs to tell Labour its still going strong!  

So, only with the truth  can they identify what they think is wrong and develop policies to put those wrongs right.  Then thye can pick a leader who can take that to the country.  

Some suggestions that Alan Johnson would be a good caretaker leader to steer Labour through a serious policy review. Not a bad shout.

No worries there.  The process doesn't conclude until September.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Labour could also make a bid to sign Nigel Farage, especially if he could bring four million votes with him.

Ukip could have Ed Miliband and take 9.3m votes instead ...

For gambling types, Tristram Hunt might be worth a punt.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Not to mention the EdStone!

What's happened to that, by the way?

A joke on twitter:

Ed Miliband returns from Ibiza.

New gravel driveway.

"Is... Is that the...?"

"Yes, Ed. It is."

I think you'll find that he cannot find 34 Labour MPs to back him and the won't be the last to drop out.

From Twitter: Michael Crick ;@MichaelLCrick 27 minutes ago

Umunna was upset the press doorstepped not just his mother, but his girlfriend's parents and even her 102-year old grandmother.

Goes with the territory, I'm afraid.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

From Twitter: Michael Crick ;@MichaelLCrick 27 minutes ago

Umunna was upset the press doorstepped not just his mother, but his girlfriend's parents and even her 102-year old grandmother.

Goes with the territory, I'm afraid.

If that's the level the press have sunk to then bring on the Leveson reforms. Oh...

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

It really is going to come down to Cooper vs Burnham, isn't it.

Some suggestions that Alan Johnson would be a good caretaker leader to steer Labour through a serious policy review. Not a bad shout.

There does seem to be increasing talk about someone to hold the fort for the next 3 years and see Labour through the EU referendum, etc and then finding a full time leader. It would give time for someone else to emerge (Dan Jarvis or Keir Starmer) but it would also allow Labour to see who the Tories end up going with (presumably Boris, Gideon or May). In addition the temporary leader would be able to bring in the much needed changes to the party structure, ie splitting into English, Welsh and Scottish parties, or at least a federal system*. That's probably how you'd sell it.

* You do need 3 parties, IMO. In Wales Labour is the dominant party, the party of government. In Scotland they're fighting the SNP, in England the Tories and Ukip. You can't fight 3 battles at the same time, and certainly not against 3 very different opponents and on 3 different battlefields.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

I don't think it really matters, because I reckon Cameron's party will implode, like they did between 1992 and 1997.  Basically because he's useless.  I mean what kind of PM employs a suspected criminal as press secretary?

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

I don't think it really matters, because I reckon Cameron's party will implode, like they did between 1992 and 1997.  Basically because he's useless.  I mean what kind of PM employs a suspected criminal as press secretary?

I'd like to think you're right but I really don't see it. I don't see the appeal of a party promising to slash support for disabled people purely to give tax breaks for rich people, but it seems a lot of people do. The only possibility is a split over Europe

Too late to save the NHS now. Have to hope you don't get seriously ill.

that is just not true, and you know it. You have just trashed the 1,700,000 people who work in and for the NHS.

Time to stop spreading misinformation in the hope that at some point someone will belive your distorted view.

that is just not true, and you know it. You have just trashed the 1,700,000 people who work in and for the NHS.

Time to stop spreading misinformation in the hope that at some point someone will belive your distorted view.

I agree, they're not going to trash the NHS, not when they can sell the most profitable bits off to those within the tory party with vested interests in the health industry, of which there are plenty. Could just be coincidence of course. :rolleyes:

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

I agree, they're not going to trash the NHS, not when they can sell the most profitable bits off to those within the tory party with vested interests in the health industry, of which there are plenty. Could just be coincidence of course. :rolleyes:

You've been out in th sun too much. Your Labour pals don't stand a change if they base their policies on outright lies.

Archived