Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
John Drake

Labour leadership contest

Which of the candidates would make you more likely to vote Labour if they win the leadership?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the candidates would make you more likely to vote Labour if they win the leadership?

• Andy Burnham
    • Yvette Cooper
    • Jeremy Corbyn
    • Liz Kendall
    • I would never vote Labour
  2. 2. Did you vote Labour in the 2015 General Election?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Do you have a vote in the Labour leadership election?

• Yes
    • No
  4. 4. Who would you vote for in the Labour leadership election?

• Andy Burnham
    • Yvette Cooper
    • Jeremy Corbyn
    • Liz Kendall

The tone from the more hysterical press hasn't changed much in 100 years:

20156664491_226c195147_o.jpg

1909 poster

Well what do you expect from the shills of the 1%

If this is any guide, it looks like Corbyn is getting ready to throw his 'old friend' under a bus if he wins, rather than welcome him back with open arms.

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2015/07/jeremy-corbyn-interview-i-think-we-have-think-terms-disillusioned-who-didn-t-vote

We digress briefly to discuss George Galloway of the Respect Party. In March 2012, when Galloway won Bradford West in a by-election from Labour, Corbyn tweeted his support for his old friend even though he had defeated a Labour MP – but now he says they are no longer close. “No doubt George and I will come across each other somewhere . . . I thought the tactics he used against our candidate [Naz Shah, who won Bradford West back for Labour in May] were appalling. I was quite shocked; it was appalling.”

Double standards or what? Tweeted his support for his mate against HIS party

But now he's up for Election distances himself

Bet when he gets in Degsy and Galloway are let back in

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" - Mark Twain

Seeing as he's a lifelong teetotaler it's highly unlikely he'd ever be seen running a pub. :rolleyes:

I likes these though:

If Jeremy Corbyn ran your local pub, some of the regulars would secretly hope that it never became popular, preferring it as it was.

If Jeremy Corbyn ran your local pub, the managers of the bland chain pub down the road would be utterly perplexed by the fact people want to drink in Jeremy Corbyn’s pub. “But our pub is obviously what people want,” they’d say. “We’ve done extensive market research. Why are all these people drinking in a pub that can never be popular?”

Edited by Griff9of13

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

I can always rely on you Martyn to find a smear against Labour.  You've been doing it now for about 10 years.

It's not a smear - it's a fact.

So do you think that what he did qualifies as normal behaviour?

Or does it suggest a degree of fanaticism?

It's not a smear - it's a fact.

So do you think that what he did qualifies as normal behaviour?

Or does it suggest a degree of fanaticism?

Dig up some smears on the Tories Martyn and I might start to take you seriously. Problem is you never do do you>

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

Dig up some smears on the Tories Martyn and I might start to take you seriously. Problem is you never do do you>

I think we can assume that your unwillingness to answer the question proves the point.

I think we can assume that your unwillingness to answer the question proves the point.

I'll stick with what I've just posted Martyn.  I don't recall you ever posting something uncomplimentary about the Tories, yet you consistently post stuff like this about Labour, all the while claiming to be independent.  You're about as independent as the Daily Mail or the Telelgraph.  I've a good mind to stop buying League Express just to spite you.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

I'll stick with what I've just posted Martyn.  I don't recall you ever posting something uncomplimentary about the Tories, yet you consistently post stuff like this about Labour, all the while claiming to be independent.  You're about as independent as the Daily Mail or the Telelgraph.  I've a good mind to stop buying League Express just to spite you.

I'm not posting about Labour, but about Jeremy Corbyn.

It's strange that you seem so reluctant to give your opinions on his eccentric behaviour towards his former wife.

Those of us who want to see Labour as a viable political party don't want to see the party turn to someone who will make it unelectable.

Incidentally, most of the posting of mine you refer to was in relation to Gordon Brown, who I also thought should not have been elected as the Labour Party leader, with predictable results.

I'm not posting about Labour, but about Jeremy Corbyn.

It's strange that you seem so reluctant to give your opinions on his eccentric behaviour towards his former wife.

Those of us who want to see Labour as a viable political party don't want to see the party turn to someone who will make it unelectable.

Incidentally, most of the posting of mine you refer to was in relation to Gordon Brown, who I also thought should not have been elected as the Labour Party leader, with predictable results.

And Alistair Campbell, and Tony Blair.  No matter who Labour choose the Tories among us will find something. Like Miliband "stabbed his brother in the back"  How about "Cameron is a total and a liar to boot."  That'd make a good headline. But no one ever uses it, despite the fact that unlike in Miliband's case it's true.

Clement Attlee.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/aug/03/jeremy-corbyn-economic-strategy-would-keep-tories-in-power-chris-leslie?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

One of a number of 'Corbyn will destroy the world' articles today.  I think people are worried.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Those of us who want to see Labour as a viable political party don't ...

... include you, most of the time.

Still, like when I write about Farage and Ukip I only do it with love.  I desperately want a right wing isolationist party whose views I entirely disagree with to find a voice that can work for them.  I'm sure you feel the same about a left leaning party whose politics seem to be entirely at odds with those you support.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/aug/03/jeremy-corbyn-economic-strategy-would-keep-tories-in-power-chris-leslie?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

One of a number of 'Corbyn will destroy the world' articles today.  I think people are worried.

Corbyn would, I think, ultimately be a disaster for the Labour party.  I strongly suspect the other three would be even worse because from one second to the next you wouldn't actually know what they stood for or how strongly they would commit to supporting a particularly issue.  They're not strong enough or charismatic enough like Blair to get past that.

In addition, the #Labstain will haunt them well past 2020.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Corbyn would, I think, ultimately be a disaster for the Labour party.  I strongly suspect the other three would be even worse because from one second to the next you wouldn't actually know what they stood for or how strongly they would commit to supporting a particularly issue.  They're not strong enough or charismatic enough like Blair to get past that.

In addition, the #Labstain will haunt them well past 2020.

I think Burnham and Copper would do 'OK', but that's not really good enough.  Corbyn and Kendal are both 'wrong', being at either end of the party.

A centre lefty with a bit of character/leadership/charisma/strength would be ideal.  The tories have already given such a person plenty to work with.  Not sure that person exists within labour though (certainly not Umunna).

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Clement Attlee detested faddish radicalism – you couldn’t say that Jeremy Corbyn is his heir

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2015/07/clement-attlee-detested-faddish-radicalism-you-couldn-t-say-jeremy-corbyn-his-heir

Attlee was very scathing on self indulgent lefties. IIRC he said in his usual laconic style to Harold Lasky (one of these)  "a period of silence would be very welcome form you"

People should remember that.  And also remember that he was possibly the greatest PM this country has ever had.

Clement Attlee.

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" - Mark Twain

Yes, but what have they  got to say on Cilla's sad demise?

We know Andy Burnham's wife appeared on Blind Date, but have the others' spin doctors been caught flatfooted?

They'd better get a move on before Cherie Booth raises her head above the gravy boat.

Nobody works false sentiment like a scouser.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

There are lots of Jeremy Corbyn supporters inside the Labour Party. That much we know. He is one of those. As such, is this even a story?

The big question is, how many Jeremy Corbyn supporters are there outside the Labour Party where the votes Labour will need to win elections in future must come from.

The big question is, how many Jeremy Corbyn supporters are there outside the Labour Party where the votes Labour will need to win elections in future must come from.

Lots already and Corbyn is much more likely to gain the support of those who are currently disengaged and effectively disenfranchised.  If Burnham thinks he can re-engage people by abstaining on important votes and then making half-hearted promises that he "might think about sort of possibly renationalising bits of the railway at some point maybe" then he doesn't even begin to understand what the problem is. As I keep repeating, it's not about the 24% who voted Tory, they ain't budging, but the 76% who didn't many of whom didn't vote at all.

Lots already and Corbyn is much more likely to gain the support of those who are currently disengaged and effectively disenfranchised. If Burnham thinks he can re-engage people by abstaining on important votes and then making half-hearted promises that he "might think about sort of possibly renationalising bits of the railway at some point maybe" then he doesn't even begin to understand what the problem is. As I keep repeating, it's not about the 24% who voted Tory, they ain't budging, but the 76% who didn't many of whom didn't vote at all.

That's all well and good. However, do we know with certainly of the 76% you mention, those that didn't vote will automatically vote Labour. And of that 76% those who did vote Labour would continue to do so with Corbyn as leader. I think caution needs to be exercised before getting carried away. It is not so long ago that all the 'KIPPERS were getting similarly giddy about Farage and his sweeping into power at the last general election, and look what happened there.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

Lots already and Corbyn is much more likely to gain the support of those who are currently disengaged and effectively disenfranchised.  If Burnham thinks he can re-engage people by abstaining on important votes and then making half-hearted promises that he "might think about sort of possibly renationalising bits of the railway at some point maybe" then he doesn't even begin to understand what the problem is. As I keep repeating, it's not about the 24% who voted Tory, they ain't budging, but the 76% who didn't many of whom didn't vote at all.

Where is your actual evidence for this assertion that vast numbers of 'the 76%' are out there just itching to vote for a Corbyn-led Labour Party?

Where is your actual evidence for this assertion that vast numbers of 'the 76%' are out there just itching to vote for a Corbyn-led Labour Party?

Apparenlty Labour MP's are to be asked to investigate the bona fides of new members in their constituencies.

According to Private Eye the Telegraph, which despite it's being a Tory paper is normally scrupulously fair on its new pages, has with its urging Tories to register and vote for Corbyn, alienated its contacts within the Labour party, thus depriving them of sources for news.

Clement Attlee.

Tory caught signing up as Labour supporter wanted to expose vote 'farce'
Tim Loughton says he had no intention of voting in party’s leadership contest but wanted to ‘blow the gaff on what a complete farce the whole thing is’
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/aug/05/conservative-tim-loughton-signs-up-labour-supporter-leadership-contest

Well, he got caught, so maybe it isn't as much of a farce as he suggests.

However, I do think people should have to show more commitment to the party than simply paying a one-off no obligation payment of three quid almost right up until the point the ballot papers are issued, to get a vote in something as crucial a leadership election which could decide the whole direction of the party for years to come.

I'd argue for a minimum period of 12 months as a 'registered supporter' before being entitled to vote, but allow full members to vote as soon as they join. That would be no bar to anyone who seriously does support the Labour Party, it would help discourage point-scoring berks like Tim Loughton, while encouraging genuine supporters to renew and perhaps take out full membership instead of just registering as a supporter.

What's the evidence that any of the 24% Tory vote will ever be enticed to vote Labour under Burnham?