Sign in to follow this  
John Drake

Labour leadership contest

Which of the candidates would make you more likely to vote Labour if they win the leadership?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the candidates would make you more likely to vote Labour if they win the leadership?

• Andy Burnham
    • Yvette Cooper
    • Jeremy Corbyn
    • Liz Kendall
    • I would never vote Labour
  2. 2. Did you vote Labour in the 2015 General Election?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Do you have a vote in the Labour leadership election?

• Yes
    • No
  4. 4. Who would you vote for in the Labour leadership election?

• Andy Burnham
    • Yvette Cooper
    • Jeremy Corbyn
    • Liz Kendall

Who should have stood who didn't?

I think it is difficult to judge a leader until they become one. I remember Tony Blair being derided as weak and ineffective before he got the job, but his nickname 'Bambi' didn't last long once he did get it!

And what was it Churchill said about Clement Attlee... 'a very modest man with much to be modest about', yet look at what he achieved in office.

That's the thing... I genuinely have no clue who would make a good leader of the Labour Party.  There's no-one who just stands out and says "elect me" with their actions, attitude and presence.  The problem of the last decade is that they've been herded into good little MPs who say nothing off-focus so we have no clue about the real personalities of the mainstream Labour MPs.  Want a cabinet or shadow cabinet post?  Shut up and stay on message.

Of the four main candidates, Corbyn's personality and causes are very clear, Burnham is 2nd (but by a long way) with Cooper and Kendall way off in obscurity of what they REALLY stand for.  Cooper won't make policy without a focus group to validate it and I wouldn't be surprised if she runs focus groups for deciding whether to tell people if she has tea or coffee with breakfast int he morning; $deity forbid if anyone asks her the biscuit question.

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" - Mark Twain

Former advisor to Blair, and pension rights campaigner expelled from Labour Party

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/sep/08/tory-minister-ros-altmann-expelled-from-labour-party

Gordon Brown set the principle that you don't have to be a Labour Party member to be a government minister in the Lords.  If she isn't a Tory Party member then I think there's a genuine case for her reinstatement based on that principle alone.  If she follows the Tory whip on non-related matters though then that's a different story, as is it if she has a Tory party membership.

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" - Mark Twain

Quite so..and not an unreasonable decision, in my view, even though her views may not have changed.  I guess they are quite busy at HQ rooting out ineligible voters. What a mess.

Edited by JohnM

Four legs good - two legs bad

Gordon Brown set the principle that you don't have to be a Labour Party member to be a government minister in the Lords.  If she isn't a Tory Party member then I think there's a genuine case for her reinstatement based on that principle alone.  If she follows the Tory whip on non-related matters though then that's a different story, as is it if she has a Tory party membership.

If she's agreed to sit in the Lords as a Tory peer, which according to that newspaper report she has, I'd say she's fairly decisively nailed her colours to that particular mast and shouldn't expect to remain a member of the Labour Party and have a vote in its internal elections.

Some people want to have their cake and eat it too.

Probably at one of his rallies or on the phone to his mate Putin :tongue:

Interesting on the social media that I see are people that I know who are praising the "Messiah" and what he'll do for this country then later post stuff like "keep Britain British" something that JC with his array of dodgy friends will never do.

I've not seen the panorama episode yet but I believe it don't paint him in a good light

Which is precisely why he'd be an awful leader. How does he expect loyalty from others when he shows none himself?

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

Even ignoring the typical Mail slant on this, its appalling that he couldn't be bothered to turn up to vote on an issue that is going to dominate political discussions over the next year or so, this tells you all you need to know about his attitude and his idea of what party loyalty is.

Lets Get Brexit Done !!!!!

As the former Foreign Secretary, Jack Straw, who knows Corbyn well, suggested, perhaps the person who is most terrified about Jeremy Corbyn winning is Jeremy Corbyn.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-34198261

Yep he's spent decades heranguing from the sidelines and only endured limited criticism back as most people saw him as an insignificant irritant.

If he becomes leader he will feel the full force of continuous personal & political attacks on an almost daily basis. Be interesting to see how well he copes with the pressure.

Lets Get Brexit Done !!!!!

Still a possibility that he won't get 50%?

According to the RFU attendance calculator, he could get 120%

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

Still a possibility that he won't get 50%?

Right now, who knows.

On Saturday, we'll all know.

Can't wait...

..oh , hang on a min.....if only the whole thing could have been timed to coincide with the Rugby Union Empire Trophy, 

Four legs good - two legs bad

Wow. Good read, that.

Now I'm really depressed. :(

I'm still clinging doggedly to the hope (forlorn though it may be) that lots of non-Corbyn voters are keeping their heads down for fear of being harangued. A bit like Yes voters in Scotland and Tory voters in England.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

I'm still clinging doggedly to the hope (forlorn though it may be) that lots of non-Corbyn voters are keeping their heads down for fear of being harangued. A bit like Yes voters in Scotland and Tory voters in England.

Same here.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

Sadiq Khan elected as Labour's candidate for Mayor of London

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/sep/11/sadiq-khan-elected-as-labours-candidate-for-mayor-of-london

Those who claim to know about these things reckoned if Khan beat Jowell in this contest, the leadership is a shoo-in for Corbyn given that the votes were cast at the same time by the same electorate (in London at least).

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/sep/11/sadiq-khan-elected-as-labours-candidate-for-mayor-of-london

Those who claim to know about these things reckoned if Khan beat Jowell in this contest, the leadership is a shoo-in for Corbyn given that the votes were cast at the same time by the same electorate (in London at least).

Quite a comprehensive win as well.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I was wondering if there was any possible link.  Tomorrow could be fun then!

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!