Lib Dem leadership contest

<tumbleweed>

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

Two bald men fighting over a comb...

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Farron with Mulholland as deputy.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Farron with Mulholland as deputy.

Probably this. The leadership team will constitute a quarter of the parliamentary Lib Dem party! That was unthinkable just two weeks ago.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

In the past Liberal leaders spoke of a realignment of the left.  I always thought Blair was shortsighted in not locking the Lib/Dems in in 1997, but perhaps he'd never have got it past the Labour party. But with closet Tories like Clegg discredited, perhaps now would be the time?

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

After the cuts goes deeper, the tax cuts for the rich increase, the Human Rights Act is repealed, the snooper's charter is passed, someone somewhere will miss the Lib Dems being in government.

Has to be Tim Farron for sure though. If they want to shred their right-wing, Tory-lite image, they need to go with someone from the "left" of the party.

The little old lady wearing a yellow rosette sat at the polling station on May 7th taking numbers looked more capable of leadership than any of the 8 MPs. Gingerjon and her could be the dream ticket.

That's rather disingenuous; the two named above (Farron and Mulholland) are both very capable MPs. I'd take either of those two as my MP over anyone from the Tory benches.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

That's rather disingenuous; the two named above (Farron and Mulholland) are both very capable MPs. I'd take either of those two as my MP over anyone from the Tory benches.

Farron is a 'liberal' who voted against marriage rights for same sex couples. Mullholland is anti-abortion.

Farron is a 'liberal' who voted against marriage rights for same sex couples. Mullholland is anti-abortion.

My bad; I'd forgotten about Farron. Didn't know that about Mulholland though. Both due to their "Christian" beliefs I presume. :dry:

My bad; I'd forgotten about Farron. Didn't know that about Mulholland though. Both due to their "Christian" beliefs I presume. :dry:

Yes, Farron is a 'happy clappy Anglican' bigot and Mullholland is a Roman Catholic bigot. Farron also believes in the healing power of god! Mullholland is also a Mancunian!

Two bald men fighting over a comb...

Nonsense.

Farron has a full head of hear and Lamb just a receding hairline.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

• 1 month later...

Given the dirty tricks exposed during the general election, I just can't believe that Lamb knew nothing about this.  Especially given that Lamb was Mental Health minister for four years, oversaw a 10% cut in mental health beds and 8% in budget then campaigned that the Lib Dems were the ones who cared about mental health parity with physical health.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Yes, Farron is a 'happy clappy Anglican' bigot and Mullholland is a Roman Catholic bigot. Farron also believes in the healing power of god! Mullholland is also a Mancunian!

There you go calling people names does nothing for your arguement.

Are you not bigoted bycalling them bigots ?

You have no reason except that you see all christians as bigots.

Get real .

There you go calling people names does nothing for your arguement.

Are you not bigoted bycalling them bigots ?

You have no reason except that you see all christians as bigots.

Get real .

Some of my best friends are Christians, none of my friends are bigots.

• 4 weeks later...

I liked his speech rallying the members to g to th local elections and build up support.

They have put .

on 17000 new members since the election.

Intersting background brought up by his mother in a Preston terrace quite poor

But not impressed by the selfinterest of the polticans when he was growing up.

So became a Liberal.

Yep

but if Corbyn wins for labour it could be eclipsed

I don't think so. Corbyn is a smarter operator than Michael Foot, and he will lose very few Labour voters to the Lib-dems

If elected he won't win a general election, but what i think he will do is increase Labours vote in Scotland and Wales, getting votes of the nationalists, and i think he will also get more voters from the Lib-dems than they get from Labour.

Archived