State of Origin Game 1 (Spoilers)

Maybe it was just a one-off bad game but that was rather rubbish wasn't it. WIthout wishing to cause any offence, it was a bit like watching Hull FC v Widnes. If you were to describe that as top level then the whole game's in trouble. 

I don't doubt that NSW or QLD would have been competitive in the 4 nations in the same way that Fiji would have been, but compared to the quality of NZ in the ANZAC test for example, they're a long way off.

Hopefully this will go some way to putting international RL at the top of the tree for a change.

I have not seen many games in Super League that are of that standard to be honest.

Would Leeds or Saints beat either team?

I don't think so.

South Sydney Rabbitohs ripped Saint Helens  a new one not long ago 39-0, they are currently 6th in the NRL with 6 wins and 5 losses.

It wasn't a classic but it was a competitive arm wrestle we will see what the next two games bring.

I am a fan of SOO, it brings a lot of media publicity to our sport and generates an income that we can not get elsewhere.

Every one seems to want to pull it apart, its the outlook of our fans that is the downfall of our game it seems.

If we won a series the International game may do better I think, how long has it been against Australia? none of my kids were born then and my oldest is 24 years old, I think about 40 years or more.

The Australians made the kiwis look like a Pub team 18 months ago in the World Cup Final 34-2.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have not seen many games in Super League that are of that standard to be honest.

I don't think so.

South Sydney Rabbitohs ripped Saint Helens  a new one not long ago 39-0, they are currently 6th in the NRL with 6 wins and 5 losses.

It wasn't a classic but it was a competitive arm wrestle we will see what the next two games bring.

I am a fan of SOO, it brings a lot of media publicity to our sport and generates an income that we can not get elsewhere.

Every one seems to want to pull it apart, its the outlook of our fans that is the downfall of our game it seems.

If we won a series the International game may do better I think.

The Australians made the kiwis look like a Pub team 18 months ago in the World Cup Final.

Yeah but Wigan vs Brisbane and Warrington vs St George were competitive games. I think the aussies had it really easy because of the semi finals.

Fiji were not a challenge to Australia but England was a very big one for NZ. 

Yeah but Wigan vs Brisbane and Warrington vs St George were competitive games. I think the aussies had it really easy because of the semi finals.

Fiji were not a challenge to Australia but England was a very big one for NZ. 

Brisbane and St George were just fillers to the main game, what were they playing for beyond a long distance pre season friendly???

In that case we should have beaten Australia early on, the fact we lost to Italy in the warm up did not help.

Australia did not concede a try after their first game against England, that is almost unheard of.

Many teams prefer competitive build up games rather than training run walk overs where you hit the top teams in the Finals after a soft build up and get smashed by the top shelf teams.

You must know that.

But what were wigan and wire playing for then?

The chance to beat one of those "superior" NRL teams i guess.

Its a Super League vehicle isn't it?

The NRL fans don't give a rats about their team beating a small town/city in the north of England, they would not even know who some of our teams are, they probably don't care if their team loses either because its not in a neutral environment, its just a pre-season perk for the players and officials.

The NRL fans don't give a rats about their team beating a small town/city in the north of England, they would not even know who some of our teams are, they probably don't care if their team loses either because its not in a neutral environment, its just a pre-season perk for the players and officials.

Typical excuse, and one that negates anything said about the WCC. Basically, if the aussies win, they are the best. If the brits win/come close, the aussies don't care. Are you familiar with the phrase 'on a hiding to nothing'?

So the Saints result proves they are far superior but the wire and Wigan games go back to the old nobody cares argument.

I don't think so.

If we won a series the International game may do better I think, how long has it been against Australia? none of my kids were born then and my oldest is 24 years old, I think about 40 years or more.

The Australians made the kiwis look like a Pub team 18 months ago in the World Cup Final 34-2.

Human Punk does not suggest any ESL side could or would beat NSW or QLD. He said the game was like watching an FC v Wdnes game. In otherwords a pretty boring game of rugby. To be fair apart from one or two moments i cannot remember much about the game and i sort of agree with him. 

By the way we are all fans of Origin and league in general and therefore we are not knocking it for the sake of it. I just think its time for Internationals to take centre stage now as the pinnacle of the game.

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

I don't think so.

South Sydney Rabbitohs ripped Saint Helens a new one not long ago 39-0, they are currently 6th in the NRL with 6 wins and 5 losses.

South Sydney beat Brisbane by a similar scoreline the week after so that point isn't valid.

How about France.

Or have we given up on them.

I would agree entirely with this suggestion, or wales/ireland/any other genuine international as opposed to a local squabble.

Rugby League is a sport that desperately needs to expand its geographical supporter base and its player base. This imperative means that all other requirements are secondary until this is done.

All power in the game should be with governing bodies, especially international governing bodies.

Without these actions we will remain a minor sport internationally and nationally.

Rabbitohs ripped Saints 39-0 and they're 6th on the table : SL is .

Brisbane won Wigan 14-12 in extra time and they're 1st on the table : Brisbane were not really playing, it was just a friendly so SL is .

Saint George won Warrington 18-12 : at first Saint George are rubbish in the NRL so Warrington is even more rubbish and the SL is which is why that was a competitive game. Then Saint George are 3rd on the table and now it's "just a friendly".

It was a dull game but it's different when you have an emotional investment in it. When I watch SL I have no history with any of those teams and I just want to see some good play. I don't care who wins, as long as it's not Leeds.

For me State of Origin has had its day. The NSW Halfs are awful and look so clueless. Qld are an old side and once Slater, Smith, Thurston and Cronk go in the next couple of years the quality will really drop! I would rather watch NZ play than Qld or NSW as they are prepared to throw the ball around a bit and not just play this one up football that seems to happen so often now in SOO as people fear of making a mistake. And we are in 2015 and the game should be looking to promote Internationals not 2 States in Australia.

It was a dull game but it's different when you have an emotional investment in it. When I watch SL I have no history with any of those teams and I just want to see some good play. I don't care who wins, as long as it's not Leeds.

Exactly ducky. That's why it's so big in the states involved but not so elsewhere particularly now the quality isn't what it once was and will be even less once the old guard have retired. Emotional attachment tends to cloud the view. Liked your final comment too.

rldfsignature.jpg

Origin has been going for years and, like every series, has the occasional duff game. I think that judging the whole concept based on Wednesday's match is a bit premature, even for Rugby League fans.

I also prefer internationals, even as a neutral*, but that doesn't mean Origin has no place in the game any more. 

*although who is truly neutral if the Kangaroos are involved?

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Origin has been going for years and, like every series, has the occasional duff game. I think that judging the whole concept based on Wednesday's match is a bit premature, even for Rugby League fans.

It was being said even before game 1. No-one is writing Origin off, that would be stupidity, just questioning the quality when compared to the recent past.

rldfsignature.jpg

Archived