Where are you from, who do you support?

Do you think Australians living in England suddenly start supporting English sports teams?.

I guess it would depend how long they have lived here.

I can not see any reason why they would support every other team that plays against England, can you?

It sounds like some sort of hate complex, plenty of people that move Countries support their home team from their birth and their adopted countries team second or the opposite in some cases.

Wanting your adopted countries team to be beaten by all and sundry seems strange to me.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Monton.

Swinton Lions, whoever are playing Salford, and England (wish it was still Great Britain!)

Spelly.

XIII till I die!

"--- and then on the eighth day, God created Rugby League."

Daily, my intense dislike of the Pinks, Rugby Yawnion, Manchester United, and far-right politics, grows ever larger, and will continue to do so forever more!

Question! What's the connection between Rugby League and Rugby Yawnion? Answer! There isn't one!

My girl-friend asked "If you had to choose between me and Swinton who would it be?" I replied "You know the answer to that one without even asking!"

Burnbank,Hamilton

Support the Robins. Rovers were the first team I seen live in 1979 when I was working in Hull for a few weeks.

I remember waking up on the wall outside of The Lariat one morning, I don't remember why.

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

I remember waking up on the wall outside of The Lariat one morning, I don't remember why.

PMSL Mate you local? I'm going down to Newcastle on Saturday. I stay round the corner from the old Lariat!

Born in St Helens, lived briefly in Billinge before family moved north. Brought up in Abbeytown (west of Wigton but not quite jameater territory) then Carlisle. Now living in Stockdalewath.

Support Saints, but much more interested in expansion teams and international rl

Rugby League is a sport that desperately needs to expand its geographical supporter base and its player base. This imperative means that all other requirements are secondary until this is done.

All power in the game should be with governing bodies, especially international governing bodies.

Without these actions we will remain a minor sport internationally and nationally.

I guess it would depend how long they have lived here.

I can not see any reason why they would support every other team that plays against England, can you?

It sounds like some sort of hate complex, plenty of people that move Countries support their home team from their birth and their adopted countries team second or the opposite in some cases.

Wanting your adopted countries team to be beaten by all and sundry seems strange to me.

Hehe. It's no hate complex. It's all a bit of fun.

But the Aussies have such an incredible arrogance when it comes to any sport they are good at that I think I'd find it hard to support them even if I was from here.

To be fair, I actually like them to do well at the sports they aren't very good at, such as football and tennis, and I'm happy for their golfers etc to do well (basically all their individual sportsmen).... But when it comes to their RL, RU and cricket teams, I'm happy for them to get well beaten. When they learn to be humble and gracious - in victory and defeat - I might change my tune...

Hehe. It's no hate complex. It's all a bit of fun.

But the Aussies have such an incredible arrogance when it comes to any sport they are good at that I think I'd find it hard to support them even if I was from here.

To be fair, I actually like them to do well at the sports they aren't very good at, such as football and tennis, and I'm happy for their golfers etc to do well (basically all their individual sportsmen).... But when it comes to their RL, RU and cricket teams, I'm happy for them to get well beaten. When they learn to be humble and gracious - in victory and defeat - I might change my tune...

I would not have thought there was too much arrogance from their Union team in recent years.

I have not seen too many sour grapes from anyone in losing the number one in the League world title or their last few loses to New Zealand.

Is it the Australian players, the media or the fans that are arrogant?

So never then!

Maybe the Australians are brought up to win and compete and realise there is no prize for second?

Where we are happy to have turned up and give it our best shot and accept the tag as gracious losers.

Winning and embracing that win is not arrogance is it, ridiculing and lauding it over your fellow competitors is.

I thought we had plenty to say when we won back the Ashes a couple of times and in our recent Olympic games triumphs.

From Pontefract

Support Fev/England

Have no interest in UK club RL that doesn't involve Fev.

I guess it's a rivalry thing cos i follow sports quite closely where i don't support anyone.......NRL, NFL and even a fair bit of Union i can watch as a neutral but unless it's Fev playing i'm not too bothered with Rugby League in the UK.

england_identity2.jpg1921_button.jpg

Maybe the Australians are brought up to win and compete and realise there is no prize for second?

Where we are happy to have turned up and give it our best shot and accept the tag as gracious losers.

Neither of those attitudes is inherently better than the other but surely you recognise that the former tends to breed a lot more resentment than the latter? It's only natural.

I despise the England soccer and RU teams and cheer for anyone playing them. It would be easy to put that down to being Irish and yet I have absolutely no problem supporting England RL against New Zealand or Australia. It turns out that when you remove the blanket media coverage, fawning player profiles and overwhelming sense of entitlement, it is quite easy for an Irishman to support England. In RL Australia is the equivalent of England in Soccer and RU.

Neither of those attitudes is inherently better than the other but surely you recognise that the former tends to breed a lot more resentment than the latter? It's only natural.

I despise the England soccer and RU teams and cheer for anyone playing them. It would be easy to put that down to being Irish and yet I have absolutely no problem supporting England RL against New Zealand or Australia. It turns out that when you remove the blanket media coverage, fawning player profiles and overwhelming sense of entitlement, it is quite easy for an Irishman to support England. In RL Australia is the equivalent of England in Soccer and RU.

You are saying you follow the underdog?

But Our Rugby Union team is currently a lucky fourth in the World

Our very long term average Football team is fourteenth in the world and have won not much in nearly 50 years.

I would not have thought there was too much arrogance from their Union team in recent years.

I have not seen too many sour grapes from anyone in losing the number one in the League world title or their last few loses to New Zealand.

Is it the Australian players, the media or the fans that are arrogant?

All of the above

Thank you for your valuable contribution.

You are saying you follow the underdog?

But Our Rugby Union team is currently a lucky fourth in the World

Our very long term average Football team is fourteenth in the world and have won not much in nearly 50 years.

No it's more complicated than that. Think of the English redtops around any major football tournament - the "two world wars and one world cup" type songs, fans dressed as crusaders, jingoism, empire nostalgia, Combat 18 destroying Landsdowne Road etc. etc. It's very off-putting to neutrals, even more so to former colonies. You don't see any of that with England Rugby League, or at least I haven't.

England RU is different again and it probably relates more to the teams place as the epitomy of the English public schoolboy establishment. Not to mention the arrogance of the likes of Martin Johnson and his antics at Croke Park. I suspect most of the English posters on here have a similar feeling towards the England RU team.

All of the above

I have not come across that to be honest.

Ricky Stuarts outburst was the exception.

I do think the fans and media commentators are dismissive to our game in England but we have probably done little to change that over many years with our poor performances.

Often a big bold build up about how our Pack is easily the best in the game and the Aussies are Dads Army......... and we will teach them a lesson this year etc etc

That talk is always going to prime the Aussies to stick it to us when we lose.

The Aussies seem to respect the Kiwis and have no issues with their Test wins over many years.

Archived