Sky Commentary Team

Following on from the Jon Wells thread, there appeares to be an overwhelming opinion that the Sky commentary team is boring and out-dated and in need of a drastic overhaul.

So, from the current team, who do people feel should stay, and who should go, and importantly who would we like to see replace the ones who go ?

I'll kick it off:-

Eddie Hemmings - Go

Mike Stevenson - Go

Phil Clarke - Go

Jon Wells - Stay

Brian Carney - Stay

Barrie McDermott - Stay

Terry O'Connor - Go

Bill Arthur - Stay

Angela Powers - Go

Stuart Cummings - Go

People i'd like to see join the commentary team:

Andrew Voss

Claire Balding

Jamie Peacock

Jon Wilkin

Freddie Flintoff (yes I know he's a cricketer but he's a big RL fan, is making a good career in TV and comes across as a really funny & likeable guy)

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Flintoff did some TV work for the AUS T20 series last year and he is good on TV. I think he is probably in demand with cricket TV networks so he's probably a no-go.

Voss is the best but I doubt he'd be available.

Following on from the Jon Wells thread, there appeares to be an overwhelming opinion that the Sky commentary team is boring and out-dated and in need of a drastic overhaul.

So, from the current team, who do people feel should stay, and who should go, and importantly who would we like to see replace the ones who go ?

I'll kick it off:-

Eddie Hemmings - Go

Mike Stevenson - Go

Phil Clarke - Go

Jon Wells - Stay

Brian Carney - Stay

Barrie McDermott - Stay

Terry O'Connor - Go

Bill Arthur - Stay

Angela Powers - Go

Stuart Cummings - Go

People i'd like to see join the commentary team:

Andrew Voss

Claire Balding

Jamie Peacock

Jon Wilkin

Freddie Flintoff (yes I know he's a cricketer but he's a big RL fan, is making a good career in TV and comes across as a really funny & likeable guy)

Voss is a no brainer, he brings an element of humour as well as a strong knowledge of the game/teams playing. Why not look to get guest co-presenters also? Would much rather listen to the opinion of someone like Sculthorpe, Peacock or Morley etc.. than the bumbling idiots we have now!

eddie & stevo need to go...phase them out with some limited reporting & lesser match commentary role.

make Brian Carney main guy

other suggestion add Martin Offiah to the team, like the Freddy Flintoff Idea if they can get him signed up.

I'd keep Phil Clarke but get rid of Bill Arthur also. Bring in Dave Woods as first choice commentator. The rest i agree with. Personally i'd be looking at some of the many graduates coming out of university having studied media and TV production, get some fresh and original thinking behind the programmes.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

Would anyone else find a more prominent role for Jenna Brooks???  Seems a bit lost on Boots n All.

Q:  Is swimming good for your figure?   
A:  If swimming is good for your figure, then explain whale to me.. 

Tulsen Tollet still does some TV work, always thought he was pretty good when SKY used to show the NRL.

I do like how the Channel 9 coverage in the NRL always seems to enlist the services of former players to interview the players at half time etc, and give opinion/comment as the game is played. Players like Jon Wilkin and Sam Tomkins would be good at this. 

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

If people don't like Eddie and Stevo, I can't imagine the amount of stick Freddie Flintoff would get on the coverage! I do like him btw, but you know RL people will complain about owt. Including me in this post right now

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

I like Brian Moore. I know he's ex Union, but on many occasions said he's played league.

He comes across as very honest in his opinions and isn't a hater of league. He may also be a good link to Union players and fans who like tomwatch and play Rugby League.

​​ 

​THE NORTH OF ENGLAND WITH A POPULATION OF NEARLY 17 MILLION PEOPLE IS THE TRUE EXPANSION AREA FOR RUGBY LEAGUE........IF IT CAN'T EXPAND HERE, WHERE CAN IT EXPAND?

​                       

​                        

I like Brian Moore. I know he's ex Union, but on many occasions said he's played league.

He comes across as very honest in his opinions and isn't a hater of league. He may also be a good link to Union players and fans who like tomwatch and play Rugby League.

Doesn't he do a Rugby show on Talksport – supposed to cover both codes, but mainly Union (probably through no fault of him I may add). On the odd occasions him speak on there about League, or his comments on Twitter, he is pretty complementary about RL. He treats the “my sport is better than your sport” brigade on both sides pretty well – ie he enjoys a strong well reasoned discussion, but basically calls out those who dismiss either code out of hand. Maybe good to get his thoughts in an issue of RLW?

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

I believe Stevo is retiring at the end of next season and it will probably be best if eddie does the same.

Sky are probably going to let them run their course but in the meantime I think they should have a full-time presenter who dosen,t do the commentary (probably Carney) and have a second team for the thursday fixtures.

Any guests such as Flintoff,the many footballers who are interested in our game + any celebrities should be encouraged.

I believe Stevo is retiring at the end of next season and it will probably be best if eddie does the same.

Sky are probably going to let them run their course but in the meantime I think they should have a full-time presenter who dosen,t do the commentary (probably Carney) and have a second team for the thursday fixtures.

Any guests such as Flintoff,the many footballers who are interested in our game + any celebrities should be encouraged.

Eddie, with a different partner who doesn't egg him on and constantly try to find shouty controversy where there is none, might do okay for a few more years. In fact, it might be a good way to ease a couple of the existing pundits into the world of commentary.

Stevo loves the game, but has only one idea about how to cover it. And that idea got very old a very long time ago.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I agree with most of the comments. My priority would be for Stevo to go. He loves the game, is passionate, but he is now a stereotype in the Eddie Waring mould. You know exactly what he is going to say next. Eddie Hemmings is different. I think that he is good at presenting, but his commentary is declining. I'd still like him to be the main presenter, but pass over commentary to any of the above mentioned people.

Dave Woods is the best UK commentator, I would sign him up tomorrow.

Eddie I like, but only to front the show.

Steve, great guy but I would move him to front Boots n All, I think he would do well there.

Phil Clarke alongside Brian Carney would work well, both knowledgable; but Dave Woods would have to call the game.

Baz n Tez; when they do reporting pieces, they do it well; that's their niche.

Jon Wells has excellent technical insight, they need to give him a bigger role; but good where he is.

Wilkin is a natural on TV, I would like to see him snapped up by Sky.

Eddie Hemmings - Go, I'd pay him to do so

Mike Stevenson - Go, as above

Phil Clarke - Go, long walk on a short pier

Jon Wells - Undecided

Brian Carney - Go

Barrie McDermott - Go

Terry O'Connor - Stay

Bill Arthur - Stay

Angela Powers - a nothing role

Stuart Cummings - Go, please and quickly

bring in

Katie Millward

Full team from Australia

Dave Parkinson - best commentator by a mile

If people don't like Eddie and Stevo, I can't imagine the amount of stick Freddie Flintoff would get on the coverage! I do like him btw, but you know RL people will complain about owt. Including me in this post right now

Yes Amber,  spot on! This week we get rid of Stevo etc and next week we'll have another thread about who to get rid of  from that team! 

Getting hot under the collar about temporary and unimportant stuff is a league legend in its own right!

I do like Voss though! Keeps it on thread, otherwise I'd have to spend time blaming *nion!

I'm a fan of Voss too, but would he uproot and come all this way?

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Rod Studd . I know he doesn't do all the games but he is sky rugby's biggest asset . He is outstanding . To me of the current Ben - Hur cast numbers , you'd just keep him and Carney and get rid of the rest. I'd don't get tweedledee and tweedledum ( barry n terry ) , Bill Arthur is poor and seems to struggle getting his words out , Phil Clarke turns a great sport into a dry academic exercise from open university , Cummings is a cringing officials cheerleader ( make him redundant by micing the video ref ) , Angela Powers and her half time reports ( eg Blackpool ) are embarrassing , and it's all been said about Eddie n Stevo . To many people , to much deadwood and to many not up to it . Id throw all their money to get Vossy - he's always going on about SL almost like he's saying come and get me ! But if not Studd n Carney , get rid of the rest and use the savings to reduce my subscription!!!!!

Archived