• Last Reply

Eddie - Stay, as a commentator only

Stevo - Go

Phil - Stay

Brian - Stay

Jon - Stay

Barrie - Go

Terry - Go

The first thing we need is a separate studio and commentary team. One new lead presenter, with two studio pundits. I'd bring a new presenter in from outside, I'd like someone like Mark Chapman. Keen about the sport, not patronising and gets the best out of the studio pundits. I'd keep Jon Wells in a mainly studio based role. On Thursday's, I'd like to see the studio guests as being Wells and Carney in a "Carragher and Neville" style role, to compare to football. I'd keep Carney away from presenting.

Then, a lead commentator, with one co-commentator, two at a push. Four, now five is too many. The pundits are talking over each other. Stevo particularly just won't shut up and talks over everyone! Eddie is fine as a lead commentator, as long as Cummings and Stevo aren't in the commentary box. The commentary team don't need to be talking constantly too, there can be periods of silence! I'd like to see Rod Studd doing more commentary. The co-commentators should be varied a bit. There's no need to have the same commentators and the same voices every game, so I'd limit each pundit on Sky to having one commentary game per weekend.

I agree that Jon Wilkin is good on the BBC and I'd like to see him on Sky. The BBC are leading the way with their coverage. Their pundits dwarf their Sky counterparts. Tony Rea was good on Sky last year. He's knowledgeable and doesn't just states the obvious, he should be given more of a push.

As for Barrie and Terry. They are awful. They struggle to string a sentence together and rely on the same old clichés. As for Andrew Voss, no thanks. He was ok for the World Cup, but the same cringey jokes would get very tiresome, very quickly.

As for Andrew Voss, no thanks. He was ok for the World Cup, but the same cringey jokes would get very tiresome, very quickly.

I've watched the NRL this season for the first time.

Can't agree.......Andrew Voss is just a great commentator, and Halligan is better than he was in the World Cup

Some of the Aussie co-commentators such as Alexander aren't as good, but its great how the Aussie ex-players are good with the mike and H/T reports not long after they have finished their playing careers.

I'd have Voss anyday, but I doubt it will happen. He brings humour and never dwells too much on any point, and lets his co-commentator get a word in. He's also technically spot-on with the rules of the game

Doesn't he do a Rugby show on Talksport – supposed to cover both codes, but mainly Union (probably through no fault of him I may add). On the odd occasions him speak on there about League, or his comments on Twitter, he is pretty complementary about RL. He treats the “my sport is better than your sport” brigade on both sides pretty well – ie he enjoys a strong well reasoned discussion, but basically calls out those who dismiss either code out of hand. Maybe good to get his thoughts in an issue of RLW?[/size]

Yes, "Talksport" ignores Rugby League. I just think his comments on some " League" games could add a new dimension to the commentry experience and also; possibly ? bring a new audience to Rugby League. It would be something tootally different and inovitive.

​​ 

​THE NORTH OF ENGLAND WITH A POPULATION OF NEARLY 17 MILLION PEOPLE IS THE TRUE EXPANSION AREA FOR RUGBY LEAGUE........IF IT CAN'T EXPAND HERE, WHERE CAN IT EXPAND?

​                       

​                        

They all need to go.........when i do bother to watch SL games on sky i have the sound off.......can't stand any of them.

The only person i like on TV for RL is Wilkin....i'd keep him and get a new team of well trained professional presenters.........Young and good looking.......and no broad accents.

england_identity2.jpg1921_button.jpg

A lot of the Aussie ex players , like Andrew Johns , Sterlo and Mark Gasnier are very good analysts , but they also have Fittler and Lockyer to show that not all legends are naturally good at talking about the game .

The only thing that sometimes irritates about C9 is they do get a bit fawning over the former players they have in the commentary , but by and large the coverage down there is way ahead and an excellent accompaniment to the games . I think Voss is now the best there is anywhere

Rumours that Eddie and Stevo will depart together.

I'd also say goodbye to Barry, O'Connor &, Powers.

Main journo commentators Rodd Studd and Bill Arthur, I'd try and bring in Phil Kinsella from BBC Radio. Best radio commentator by a country mile.

Summerisers to be Wells and Clarke and take them away from stats. Wells is too good for just half time and Clarke could do a good job as summeriser only. Carney to stay to fill in where needed and do the mid weeks shows.

I'd have Wilkin as touch line advisor and also introduce Michael Shenton into that role too.

Shenton is excellent, articulate, intelligent and always sums up a game well and can get maximum information into very few words. I'd introduce him as in time he could add a lot to SKY's presentation.  

The one recurring theme in the majority of posts appears to be 'too many people in the commentary box'

This is the single biggest thing that irks me and, in my humble, makes the presentation appear a touch student radio. There can be four-way inane ramblings about a facile point between Stevo, Cummings, McDermott and O'Connor whilst the on-field action is being ignored.

For me their should be a front man/presenter, Hemmings (I think he isa poor commentator) A commentator and a maximum of two co-commentators, preferably one being there for providing analysis.

• 4 years later...

I am listening to the complete dross that the sky commentary team are talking. It’s no wonder the game is losing its popularity. All the y have mentioned is Saints and all the upcoming matches. Clarke. Hemming’s total waste of time. 
move on guys 

11 hours ago, SurviveRL said:

I am listening to the complete dross that the sky commentary team are talking. It’s no wonder the game is losing its popularity. All the y have mentioned is Saints and all the upcoming matches. Clarke. Hemming’s total waste of time. 
move on guys 

Good well considered first post.  Well done.

"I'm a traditionalist and I don"t think you'd ever see me coaching an Australian national side!"  Lee Radford, RLW March 2016

Proud to be a member of the TRL woke claque

12 hours ago, SurviveRL said:

move on guys 

Highest watched opening game in 6 years 

12 hours ago, SurviveRL said:

I am listening to the complete dross that....

Can I clarify. 

Do you want Rugby League to survive or do you want to survive Rugby League?

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 hour ago, Newcastle Thunder said:

That's got to be a good start. I am surprised that Saints were not first up as reigning champions.

I clicked on the thread which started on page 1 and wondered what century I'd walked into !!!  

But the telling question is what were attendances on Friday?

2 hours ago, Newcastle Thunder said:

That's a good result.

Have we had Thursday evening games for 6 years?

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

34 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

That's a good result.

Have we had Thursday evening games for 6 years?

Can't be far off, but it's the highest audience for any Rd 1 game for 6 years, so that includes all days. 

3 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Can't be far off, but it's the highest audience for any Rd 1 game for 6 years, so that includes all days. 

Indeed. My point was if that includes some first games which were a Friday then that's an even better result. 

13 minutes ago, cookey said:

Seems to be less and less involvement for Terry and Barrie,which has to be good news. Now just get rid of their attempt at analysis and I'll be happy.

Titles are an improvement.

Was it Terry or Barrie banging on about an 8 point try following Hills tackle the other night? This is why Cummings had to be there with so called experts like this. 

11 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Was it Terry or Barrie banging on about an 8 point try following Hills tackle the other night? This is why Cummings had to be there with so called experts like this. 

We don't need an ex referee for that, just competent commentators that know what they are talking about.

Archived