Sky Commentary Team

On 28/05/2015 at 12:29, BatleyFanAndy said:

If keep O'Connor for the McDermott/O'Connor link. Quite funny when they work together.

I'd add Alex Simmons to the show. Big fan of the sport with plenty if enthusiasm.

I can barely understand Alex Simmons mutterings, not a great advert for our game outside the heartlands.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
45 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Aye, but we clearly haven't found any so far!!! 

Commentators who will not,(or dare not) commit themselves, unlike our brothers at the other side of the world.

17 hours ago, SurviveRL said:

I am listening to the complete dross that the sky commentary team are talking. It’s no wonder the game is losing its popularity. All the y have mentioned is Saints and all the upcoming matches. Clarke. Hemming’s total waste of time. 
move on guys 

You do realise Hemmings retired last year? 

Nice to know you were paying such close attention 

2 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

I can barely understand Alex Simmons mutterings, not a great advert for our game outside the heartlands.

He's back involved in Leeds game-day "entertainment" this year. In the old North Stand going down to the bar was a way of avoiding him and his inanity at half time but I fear the new setup doesn't lend itself to this as much ?

46 minutes ago, M j M said:

He's back involved in Leeds game-day "entertainment" this year. In the old North Stand going down to the bar was a way of avoiding him and his inanity at half time but I fear the new setup doesn't lend itself to this as much ?

He pretty much epitomises all that is 'Northern man'  in a lot of southern minds.... Friendly, loud, likes rugby league and a bit slow..... Personally I quite like him and I do watch rugby AM though sometimes for the car crash appeal... I suspect he's quite a clever guy underneath the presenter act

4 hours ago, Dave T said:

Was it Terry or Barrie banging on about an 8 point try following Hills tackle the other night? This is why Cummings had to be there with so called experts like this. 

On the Hill incident Terry started with "it's a sin bin for me" and ended with "the referee had nowhere else to go" when the red card came out. Bill Arthur at the end of the game described it as "At times dour". They seem to have no idea what's going on at times.

7 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:

On the Hill incident Terry started with "it's a sin bin for me" and ended with "the referee had nowhere else to go" when the red card came out. Bill Arthur at the end of the game described it as "At times dour". They seem to have no idea what's going on at times.

Eddie Hemmings lost his enthusiasm towards the end of his run, but even now when we see highlight clips, it is night and day from anything we have had since. 

10 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:

They seem to have no idea what's going on at times.

Yeh it’s not good . I know we compare a lot to the NRL but honestly the commentaries are complete chalk n cheese . They really add to the game , here it’s just something you put up with . I thought they’d have a bit of a clear out but no , it’s the same substandard stuff . Barrie n Terry add very little , especially to new or casual viewers and sorry , Bill may have been a good touch line guy but he’s not the most fluent communicator and at times doesn’t know what’s going on . Last night the ref put his arm out for a scrum and Bill thought it was a pen and was wondering what the penalty was for ... need slicker comms but they stick with these 

9 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Yeh it’s not good . I know we compare a lot to the NRL but honestly the commentaries are complete chalk n cheese . They really add to the game , here it’s just something you put up with . I thought they’d have a bit of a clear out but no , it’s the same substandard stuff . Barrie n Terry add very little , especially to new or casual viewers and sorry , Bill may have been a good touch line guy but he’s not the most fluent communicator and at times doesn’t know what’s going on . Last night the ref put his arm out for a scrum and Bill thought it was a pen and was wondering what the penalty was for ... need slicker comms but they stick with these 

I will defend Bill Arthur for that one, it was very poor signalling from the ref, and as there was some dissent I did think the ref had penalised him.  The lack of scrum signals at time is annoying. 

I also don't think the Aussies are much, if any better tbh. There are some better, but they get just as confused, and their ex-players are terrible with the rules. 

5 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I also don't think the Aussies are much, if any better tbh

Imo I’d argue with that . The regular comms and co-comms on matches on Fox that we get are way better than the sky lot . Andrew Voss , Warren Smith they’re just super professional and good communicators .  The summarisers bar the odd one compliment them and they can do it with fewer voices 

Just now, DavidM said:

Imo I’d argue with that . The regular comms and co-comms on matches on Fox that we get are way better than the sky lot . Andrew Voss , Warren Smith they’re just super professional and good communicators . 

Vossy is very good, but I think our benchmark here is on the BBC rather than Sky. 

1 hour ago, Whippet13 said:

How Connor initially thought that challenge was a Sin Binning beggars belief. His commentating isn't good.

I had forgotten how utterly abysmal the commentary team are. Genuinely puts me off renewing Sky sports.

They spent more time bickering and trying to say clever things than calling the game. 

The BBC is light years ahead, and I'd not say they are great. Sky dial it in with their RL production 

4 hours ago, DavidM said:

Imo I’d argue with that . The regular comms and co-comms on matches on Fox that we get are way better than the sky lot . Andrew Voss , Warren Smith they’re just super professional and good communicators .  The summarisers bar the odd one compliment them and they can do it with fewer voices 

Voss is good but aside from commentary is beginning to believe his own hype.

The rest of the callers I find totally annoying... Greg Alexander is the worst summariser ever. And the terrestrial tv team is embarrassing! 

I actually prefer to watch the games without commentary 

5 hours ago, DavidM said:

I really like Warren Smith but all of them are better than Arthur and the chuckle brothers

11 hours ago, Wollongong said:

Voss is good but aside from commentary is beginning to believe his own hype.

The rest of the callers I find totally annoying... Greg Alexander is the worst summariser ever. And the terrestrial tv team is embarrassing! 

I actually prefer to watch the games without commentary 

Mmmm , I’ve an idea . You’re not happy , some of us aren’t happy . Let’s swap Uncle Bill for Vossy for a trial period .

Archived