Tasi Finally Signs

Ever since Tasi refuse a new Salford contract been rumoured he was signing for Saints.

2 Year deal finall done this morning

http://www.saintsrlfc.com/news/page/4974

This should new see Masoe complete his move to St.George in the NRL.

Tasi should give Saints far more minutes on the pitch than Masoe gives so not too disappointed with htis signing. 

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

I'm glad this has finally been confirmed. I'm happy to have him signed up too. He looks like a big rugged and agressive player who's not afraid to get stuck in.

I don't think he's as talented as Masoe, that probably goes without saying, but as you say he will offer more minutes and will hopefully be more consistent too. 

Not a spectacular signing but a solid and pleasing one.

I'll be glad to see the back of Masoe; been disappointing for me after watching his displays in the World Cup. Expect Tasi to be of far more value simply as he will play more minutes.

We desperately need to sign a spare half back...

I'll be glad to see the back of Masoe; been disappointing for me after watching his displays in the World Cup. Expect Tasi to be of far more value simply as he will play more minutes. We desperately need to sign a spare half back...

His inconsistency is certainly frustrating. He does seem to lift in the big games and come up with some rampaging performances when we need them the most. Unfortunately the trade off for this is a lot of sloppy, lacklustre displays.

On the whole I'm happy to have had him on board (and for him to remain so until the end of the year) and I'll follow the rest of his career with interest. I do think your opinion on this is well justified though.

Yep, I think Tasi will be good for Saints.

The gap between what Masoe can do and what he usually does is a bit too wide. About time he dropped back down to NRL level (dons tin helmet). ;) 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Eamon McManus now tops the  Hypocrisy League table.  This is the man who castigated  Marwan for buying the likes of Tasi instead of developing `our own`.

So in 2015 what does Chairman Mac do?   Buys a Pacific Islander instead of promoting his own Youth system player.

Eamon McManus now tops the  Hypocrisy League table.  This is the man who castigated  Marwan for buying the likes of Tasi instead of developing `our own`.

So in 2015 what does Chairman Mac do?   Buys a Pacific Islander instead of promoting his own Youth system player.

I assume you are trying to be amusing?  If not then you need to look at the 19 we have been fielding regularly this season.  In it you will see Thompson, Richards, Savellio, Greenwood (when fit, which he isn't at present) and recently Walker too.  We could be playing a debutant in the forwards this week; debutant for first team anyway.  He scored a try in the win against the Australian schoolboys last autumn.  All the aforementioned are from our under 19s and they are all in the first team.  Obviously playing all those young, English, homegrown players must mean that we shouldn't play two Tongans.  What a disgrace!

I'll be glad to see the back of Masoe; been disappointing for me after watching his displays in the World Cup. Expect Tasi to be of far more value simply as he will play more minutes. We desperately need to sign a spare half back...

Masoe has been a luxury no team can afford these days,you could condense his highlights for saints into a 2 minute you tube segment.

Poor mans Feka

Masoe has been a luxury no team can afford these days,you could condense his highlights for saints into a 2 minute you tube segment.

Poor mans Feka

You could have Masoe with 4 forwards on the bench I think for 3 10 minute spells I reckon.

Once he does more than a brief spell he gets tired and becomes a liability.

McDonnell - Turner - Percival - Burns - Walsh - LMS - Walmsley - Amor - Vaea - Masoe - Wilkin...

Add Roby and a winger or 2 and would that be Saints' first 13?

Not too many local lads by my reckoning.

Apologies for not writing McCarthy-Scarisbrook's name out in full, but it is v long and I am not sure of the spelling...

• 2 weeks later...

McDonnell - Turner - Percival - Burns - Walsh - LMS - Walmsley - Amor - Vaea - Masoe - Wilkin...

Add Roby and a winger or 2 and would that be Saints' first 13?

Not too many local lads by my reckoning.

Apologies for not writing McCarthy-Scarisbrook's name out in full, but it is v long and I am not sure of the spelling...

McDonnell is a fill in for Lomax, who is a St Helens lad and who is presently injured for the season.

Percival is local as are Roby, Makinson, Swift, Thompson, Richards and Savelio, all of whom are local and all of whom are in the first choice 17. Saints are producing forwards at present.  However,  Fleming (wing/centre) has also had his debut this season, and he too is local.  He may now be a permanent feature since Makinson is gone for the seaosn unless Cunningham (also local) goes with Matty Dawson, who isn't local.

I didn't realise Wigan ran with a first 17 of local players.  I could have sworn some of them were Welsh and from the London area, for example.

The likes of Masoe will be less in demand when the number of interchanges is reduced

I don't understand why we would consider a further reduction in interchanges.  All that will do is increase tiredness among the forwards and therefore the chances of injury.

Poor mans Feka

He's better than Feka (or the Wigan version of Feka anyway) but he looked a lot better playing for Samoa than he has done for the majority of time he has played for Saints.  I won't miss him when he has gone.  But at least he generally has a good game against Wigan, something we will need him to do this Friday given the raft of new injuries Salford inflicted on us.

McDonnell is a fill in for Lomax, who is a St Helens lad and who is presently injured for the season.

Percival is local as are Roby, Makinson, Swift, Thompson, Richards and Savelio, all of whom are local and all of whom are in the first choice 17. Saints are producing forwards at present. However, Fleming (wing/centre) has also had his debut this season, and he too is local. He may now be a permanent feature since Makinson is gone for the seaosn unless Cunningham (also local) goes with Matty Dawson, who isn't local.

I didn't realise Wigan ran with a first 17 of local players. I could have sworn some of them were Welsh and from the London area, for example.

Greg Richards isn't local.

I assume you are trying to be amusing?  If not then you need to look at the 19 we have been fielding regularly this season.  In it you will see Thompson, Richards, Savellio, Greenwood. All the aforementioned are from our under 19s and they are all in the first team.  Obviously playing all those young, English, homegrown players must mean that we shouldn't play two Tongans.  What a disgrace!

A couple of the lads you mentioned seem to come from Barrow and Warrington not St.Helens, but of course there are as good a number of real locals in your team as any so maybe your right to be miffed.

But the problem is (not for you of course) is that a club like yours with 50+ years at the top behind you (I first saw Saints beating Wigan in the 1966 cup final) are always going to have the advantage of a strong local junior RL. Success at senior level provides that.

They are also able to attract the best imports too, as Saints (as well as Leeds and Wigan) is where the success and the medals are. Some players can move for more money but choose to stay for that and perpetuate that. You get top players playing for less than they can get elsewhere.

Not only that, but as above Saints is the lure for the best kids such as Barrow Island and Latchford Albion can produce.

And not only that, the likes of Saints can cherry pick any decent player at a lower SL club. HKR turn up a gem in Burns, Saints take him. Salford find a quality prop in Tasi and Saints take him.

And that is what rankles.

You can't blame Saints for doing it, but you can maybe be miffed at their supporters being able to lord it over others, and fans of lesser clubs being a bit mean in return.

Perhaps the likes of Salford and HKR need to try a bit harder to achieve what Saints have achieved?? 

Tasi is overrated and lazy...and I'd say you's St. Helens got him for nothing ..masoe is a typical nrl 20 min sub ...every nrl team has one ....and I mean every team ...he (masoe)isn't designed for long stints ...neither is tasi....hate to say I told u so but this time next year "I told you so "

Archived