New Head Coach Appointed

Dons News

<p>Doncaster RLFC are delighted to announce that Gary Thornton has agreed to become the new head coach of the club.</p>

<p>The 34 year-old was last season voted the Kingstone Press Championship 1 coach of the year after winning the league with York City Knights.</p>

<p>Thornton brings a wealth of experience, having coached Batley Bulldogs between 2003 and 2009.</p>

<p>Former Dons captain Peter Green will also join Thornton’s backroom team as assistant coach.</p>

<p>On the appointment chief executive Carl Hall said: “We had some really good applicants and I kept reverting back to Gary because I was really impressed with what he said in his interview along with his enthusiasm for the sport.</p>

<p> “I think he is a good fit for this club to take us forward on and off the field and I believe he will contribute massively to the Academy Foundation side which starts later this year and he will put some real structure in the place. </p>

<p>“He has a proven track record at this level of rugby league and I wish him the best of luck in the job.” </p>

<p>Thornton’s first game in charge will see the Dons travel to Odsal to take on Bradford Bulls this Sunday.</p>

View the full article

Archived