Marquee players

Not a strange thing to say at all. Saints do have a history of signing great overseas players. But was Jamie Lyon, to use your example, on £500,000 plus a year? The answer is no. He was on a salary that fitted within the salary cap. He was not being paid 2 or 3 times the amount of the next highest paid player at the club.

Eamonn McManus has stated on numerous occasions that he would never sign an overseas player and pay him an enormous amount of money. Not because he or the clubs directors couldn't afford it, but because it is unfair, and in his own words: "it would p*** off the other players at the club".

He has 11 or 12 years worth of experience of managing the clubs overall wage structure and maintaining a healthly balance within it. Saints will always have good, quality overseas players in the squad, but not at the expense of our youth development and promotion.

its small time. Its like Man City saying they wont sign Messi as he doesnt have a Manc accent.

You will either use the marquee rule or you wont, but to create a divide between overseas and homegrown is strange.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In a way it's a shame Saints are only a league club - such selfless vision - think of the kids - maybe in a crazy sort of way the whole world should learn from them.

Yep. Absolutely spot on there mate. That all makes perfect sense. Don't disagree with a single word of that. :D

McDonnell - Turner - Percival - Burns - Walsh - Amor - LMS (please excuse the abbreviation I struggle with the end of his name) - Walmsley - Vea - Masoe - Greenwood - Wilkin... Et al

It's not just their kids, it's others' kids from far and wide. They're the UNICEF of TGG.

:)

its small time. Its like Man City saying they wont sign Messi as he doesnt have a Manc accent.

You will either use the marquee rule or you wont, but to create a divide between overseas and homegrown is strange.

I am not going to even bother with the football bit. I don't even think that you understand what you have just come up with there. It has no relevance at all

Actually, it is important to single out homegrown talent. The only successful clubs over the past 10 to 15 years, have been the ones that have invested the most in youth development. That tells you something!!

McDonnell - Turner - Percival - Burns - Walsh - Amor - LMS (please excuse the abbreviation I struggle with the end of his name) - Walmsley - Vea - Masoe - Greenwood - Wilkin... Et al

It's not just their kids, it's others' kids from far and wide. They're the UNICEF of TGG.

:)

Hahahahaha. Sorry, I couldn't stop laughing then. Are you serious?

Actually, it is important to single out homegrown talent. The only successful clubs over the past 10 to 15 years, have been the ones that have invested the most in youth development. That tells you something!!

To be fair, St Helens have been pretty successful as well during that time period. ;) 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I am not going to even bother with the football bit. I don't even think that you understand what you have just come up with there. It has no relevance at all

hey, if Saints want to rule themselves out of world class signings, I am 100% supportive of that. Surprised their fans are, but good for you.

hey, if Saints want to rule themselves out of world class signings, I am 100% supportive of that. Surprised their fans are, but good for you.

It's okay. We'll just stick with developing our own world class players and complimenting them with astute overseas signings like Luke Walsh. I will let you into a secret. It works!!!

If a 33 year old current Captain of NSW Origin team with a proven big motor is not a marquee player then I don't know what is.

Gallen is a fantastic competitor and unlike some that move here to wind up their careers I can not imagine him not giving his everything every game.

Any team in the World would want him.

Gallen has slightly more runs on the board than the other two that frequently are inconsistent under achievers throughout their careers that have not lived up to their potential.

Gallen is supposed to be on a $650k contract at the Sharks, I am thinking it would take 30% more than that to get him to Super League or a longer contract at similar money than he will get from an NRL Club, 3-4 years maybe.

Thank god my team don't want him or i'd boycott the game altogether.. I'll say it again THE GUY IS A DRUG CHEAT but no one seems to mind.

It's okay. We'll just stick with developing our own world class players and complimenting them with astute overseas signings like Luke Walsh. I will let you into a secret. It works!!!

cool, great that you aren't interested in using every advantage you can to stay at the top, i applaud that.

I do however, await the first time a genuinely world class player becomes available and Saints join that bidding war.

Its one thing ive always enjoyed about Saints, always based their success on their home grown talent like Sculthorpe, Newlove, Martyn, Long, Perrelini, Goulding, Lyon, Wilkin etc. Always steered clear of those pesky overseas players like Gidley too.

Saints hold no kind of moral high ground, they have developed plenty of youth, but they have also raided many clubs and signed plenty of overseas players too.

Thank god my team don't want him or i'd boycott the game altogether.. I'll say it again THE GUY IS A DRUG CHEAT but no one seems to mind.

it would take a lot for me to boycott my team, but i would never be overjoyed with Gallen signing for Wire. Very good player, but never liked the bloke.

Saints hold no kind of moral high ground, they have developed plenty of youth, but they have also raided many clubs and signed plenty of overseas players too.

I don't disagree about us signing plenty of overseas players. I said that we do.

Don't forget that we have developed lots of players that are now playing for other clubs. Not just in SL but in the Championship too. There are too many to name them all. So don't forget about that when you start talking about 'raiding' other clubs.

What your saying is true, but morality doesn't come into it which is why you call it "kind of" morality, nor do the rules come into it beyond limits to overseas signings which clubs stick to. Clubs have to be true to themselves and do the best for themselves within the rules and they all tend to do that.

1. I don't disagree about us signing plenty of overseas players. I said that we do.

2. Don't forget that we have developed lots of players that are now playing for other clubs. Not just in SL but in the Championship too. There are too many to name them all. So don't forget about that when you start talking about 'raiding' other clubs.

1. You like any club sign players in an attempt to be a top club which you have been as long as I've watched the game. In 1975 it's recorded you had 16 local lads, but also big money signing of Chris Charles, Kel Coslett, Mel James, Frank Wilson, John Mantle and Roy Mathias from Wales RU and Tony Karalius and Peter Glynn from Widnes and Roy Eckersely from Leigh. Half the side brought in.

2. Not sure about the "we" unless your a shareholder with executive power you've exercised in this direction, nor the "developed" bit. The reason Saints like Wigan churn out players (14 playing first team SL 2 years ago) is because it's a by product of incessant success in winning trophies and being at the top. It stimulates people to set clubs up, recruit kids and develop them so Saints have a ready made supply of top juniors for their academy.

This is what makes me Cringe about Koukash "investing in youth". There has to be that youth being developed in Salford and it's surrounds to be able to do that, and there isn't, your just lucky your local club is on a long roll of success breeding success. Your claiming "not only do we win things we develop youth as well"

The two things are entirely hand in hand, and any credit doesn't go to you or your club IMHO, it goes to those who run the local junior clubs in St.Helens

Do you really want to know how many players are drug cheats? Dude, testing is optionnal and we don't even catch all the substances. If players at Cronulla and Canberra are drug cheat then guess what about premiers winning teams.

There are players (can't say that there's many but there is) that are boasting ELITE performances when it comes to Olympic Weighlifting! What I think is that most people don't really want to know who is a "drug cheat" or not because in the end, they will struggle to find a team without "drug cheats". 

We ask players to be a their best from 20 years old to 35, we ask players to recover from injuries in few months, we ask players to have consistency in their form, we ask props to get 150+ meters per game, we ask wingers to act like second hand props at kick returns... today's game isn't made for "normal" human beings.

Do you really want to know how many players are drug cheats? Dude, testing is optionnal and we don't even catch all the substances. If players at Cronulla and Canberra are drug cheat then guess what about premiers winning teams.

Testing isn't optional.

testing optional lol

rio ferdinand got banned for 8 months for "missing" a drugs test

christine ohuruogu was banned for a year for missing 3 tests

as for paul gallen...if anyone could'nt tell he was juiced up they've got rocks in there heads...from being a slightly above average 2nd rower in to a 80min front row machine...give me a break lol and im not buying the pleading ignorance plea either...

he's paying for it now though cos his body is breaking down....serves him right too

OLDHAM RLFC

the 8TH most successful team in british RL

testing optional lol

rio ferdinand got banned for 8 months for "missing" a drugs test

christine ohuruogu was banned for a year for missing 3 tests

as for paul gallen...if anyone could'nt tell he was juiced up they've got rocks in there heads...from being a slightly above average 2nd rower in to a 80min front row machine...give me a break lol and im not buying the pleading ignorance plea either...

he's paying for it now though cos his body is breaking down....serves him right too

I do not really like Gallen but I can appreciate his ability for a long period of his career.

I always thought he played nearly all of his games as a Lock or Second Rower.

2008 RLIF Lock Of The Year 2010 Harry Sunderland Medal 2010 RLW Player of the Year 2011 Brad Fittler Medal 2011 Dally M Lock Of The Year 2011 Harry Sunderland Medal 2011 Peter Frilingos Memorial Award 2011 RLIF Lock Of The Year 2012 Dally M Lock Of The Year 2014 Wally Lewis Medal              

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

There are players (can't say that there's many but there is) that are boasting ELITE performances when it comes to Olympic Weighlifting! What I think is that most people don't really want to know who is a "drug cheat" or not because in the end, they will struggle to find a team without "drug cheats".

We ask players to be a their best from 20 years old to 35, we ask players to recover from injuries in few months, we ask players to have consistency in their form, we ask props to get 150+ meters per game, we ask wingers to act like second hand props at kick returns... today's game isn't made for "normal" human beings.

I'd disagree about the suggestion that players who are able to lift heavy has any correlation to drug use in rugby. If this was the case it would be pretty easy to target them for drug testing.

I see guys in the gym lifting as heavy as any super league player I have heard about and in fact know a couple of lads who have got to similar levels (and know 100% they don't use drugs), they have to mix their training with work - let's not forget for players training is their work.

Their will be some players using dodgy things however I don't think many SL players will be putting their careers on the line in thus way. If anything I would guess it would be more rife in the lower leagues.

This is what makes me Cringe about Koukash "investing in youth". There has to be that youth being developed in Salford and it's surrounds to be able to do that, and there isn't, your just lucky your local club is on a long roll of success breeding success. Your claiming "not only do we win things we develop youth as well"

Given that Salford's "surrounds" includes most of Greater Manchester, it's a bit of a stretch to say there's no youth being developed there. Salford's problem is spotting them, being attractive to them, developing them and then, most importantly, retaining them. That, I believe, is what he's talking about.

Of all the statements Marwan makes, this surely has to be one of the least cringeworthy.

Let's change this topic "drug cheats"...cos we've left the road a bit ...gallen would be fantastic for super league ..be great if someone else bought myles off manly ...

So you would consider a drug cheat as a marquee signing (I know Parra would)? Should sign Lance Armstrong & Ben Johnson as joint coaches of any club dumb enough to take this charmer on.

So you would consider a drug cheat as a marquee signing (I know Parra would)? Should sign Lance Armstrong & Ben Johnson as joint coaches of any club dumb enough to take this charmer on.

Do you believe Keiron Cunningham was also a drug cheat?

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

Archived