Statement of intent

Kevin Nicholas

As Chairman tonight was a low point for me and as players left the pitch I feel I was poor in not recognising their efforts after we fell away in the second half. Now after the dust has settled and with support from true friends I need to stand forward with a positive approach and that is what I intend to do regardless of any understandable negativity from others.

1. We have a group of coaches, back room staff & players that are quality people.

2.We will continue to look to strengthen at half back but if it does not happen then we will improve with the fit players we have.

3.We will stick together no matter what and turn it round. The next 2 games this week will not be easy but we will strive to improve against full time teams as we look to get a win under our belts and kick on .

4.Some critics & some paying spectators will not be convinced and that is fair enough and maybe understandable but supporters will help us by getting behind the team no matter what and thanks to those people we will turn it round whether that be this week, next week or after that but we will turn it round no matter what.

5. Whatever some people say on here or elsewhere we will work together and nothing anybody can say will stop us. Watch this space as they say.

6. Make no mistake we have our backs to the wall but that is the challenge which we at Batley are up to whether others think so or not.

Just thought I would make this statement. It is nice to have people believe but if not so be it.I believe and our players&coaches will prove me right. Any help you can give will be greatly appreciated though as it is a lot easier if everybody pulls in the same direction.

By the way thank you for your support in not easy circumstances.Whatever replies there are or not I will not respond now as I have stated my position. We have a great Board & chief exec at Batley and great hardcore support ( even if could do with a few more!) and together we will back our players/ coaches to turn it round.

Hope we get a few there on Wednesday to get a few quid for Danny Jones family.

That's all well and good Kevin and nothing more than I would expect a chairman to say ,but if you even through the dummy at full time what chance have we got ,it's ok patting everyone on the back and saying they are good guys but things arnt right as you no yes am sure things will turn around maybe next year but I carnt see a win , we are true batley fans to the core remember walking across Carter's to go to the mount many years ago Kevin to get hammered by all and sundry we'll that's the felling iam getting driving up new road we can mask it up any flavor you want but changes are needed and the way the club is presenting it self at the moment leaves a lot to be desired ie the press photo etc everybody wants a successful gallant youths no matter how disgruntled we all seem and as to you saying we need to pull in the right direction the only way it's pulling is your way if you take that has criticism so be it but at the moment I think everyone's sat in there little niches and the seasons rolling on

Bulldog Days, on 16 Aug 2014 - 9:00 PM, said:

It's getting ridiculous when extreme arguments & quotes, totally out of context, are used to defend what is clearly a series of mess ups over the past 10-12 months at the Club. As people have often quoted on this forum, there is one person who controls and has the say at the Mount, and it is therefore not ridiculous that a CEO would need the permission of that person, as indeed a Coach needs the funding and permission to buy players. Mess ups do happen in life & business, but it is the manner in which they are addressed and rectified that is important. The loyal supporters are and will continue to back the Club, but at the very least deserve some statement on the current situation

Where has anyone tried to defend the mess ups over the last 12 months? I don't think anyone could defend it tbh, the club has made mistakes and hopefully will have learned from those mistakes and we will go back to the drawing board and come back with a better model in terms of running the club, which includes employing at least one other full time member of staff, who is a good communicator with the fans and the press and has the sales skills to increase sponsorship and revenue streams; maybe paid on commission basis so they will make more money for the club than they cost to employ. So that the other member of staff will know all the rules regarding DR next year.

I still fail to see what good an inquest or a statement will achieve. I don't think anyone is in any doubt what has gone wrong this season, if you are, how are you in any doubt? The mistakes have been plastered all over the place.

The coach has made mistakes, by not giving DR players more game time so they were eligible for the end of season run in. He wrote 2 lads off (Aspinall and Connor) after just one game each and Mason after a couple more. He sent another 2 lads (Brennan and Leary) out on loan for the season when we were short of numbers anyway and we had to play at Featherstone with just 2 props. He signed some players who are simply not good enough to mix it in this division, but could we afford to sign better quality when all clubs were fighting for survival and overspending on players to ensure they stayed up?

We went in to the season with centres and wingers who were not good enough and not enough cover at halfback if we got injuries. We lost a centre and a winger due to the betting fiasco for longer than we thought and the club should have known they would get lengthy bans, just looking at others who had committed the same offences. We have also had Black and Leak out for the majority of the season through injury which is unfortunate and could not be foreseen.

We signed Griffin for the centres who was signed by Salford, we played Blackmore on DR for most of the early part of the season who was then signed by Featherstone. Both were good players and nothing the club could do about this.

We apparently had money available to sign players on, but failed to do so other than Rettie, a half back would have been a better option as it turned out but Black was fit until after the deadline had passed so would it have been prudent to sign another half back who might have been collecting splinters in the stands for the rest of the season if Black had not got injured at Sheffield?

We missed an obscure rule listed under the play-off section of the the rule book about DR players playing 3 times prior to 25th July and have been docked 3 points.

There, that is the inquest over, what good has it done???

Edited by DOGFATHER, 17 August 2014 - 08:47 AM.

The above was posted last season, before our miraculous return of points deducted. Need any more be said?

Sorry kev got to disagree with you support works both ways. You are supporting a coach who seems imcapble of change or or attracting players of the quailty needed to stay at this level. Your decsion to stay loyal to the coach may cost us a place in this league. I state the case of paul cooke you your self stated not intrested in playing retied . Week later joins featherstone ?? How can this be that he chose to do a uturn. Either no one asked or he dosnt want to.play for our coach ??

Kevin, looking at your position solely as a supporter you are quite clearly entitled to show your disappointment, and I would go so far as to say that even as chairman you are entitled to show that same disappointment. These are people who you pay good money to in signing on fees, contracts and match pay, and when they continue to serve up such unenterprising rugby week on week, I'd say you should be top of the list to express such feelings. However, I must take you to task, if that's the right expression, regarding your assertion that sometime things will get better. As a supporter from 1960 I have been through the full range of emotions at this club, from the dire performances of the late 60's and the late 70's, to being at away games when the supporters have got there before the team bus and players have been getting off the bus in states of undress almost having to fall straight onto the field and a myriad of other things, and clearly over the last period of years up to and including the NRC final and Grand Final appearances things have improved along the way, but now this this week, next week, sometime, never attitude is not something we can afford. Time is not on our side, unless the time is being put aside for next year's challenge for the Div. 1 title!! Bulldog Days' above post from August last year still stands up to scrutiny, as he was saying then that last season was a disaster and hoped that lessons would be learned in time for this year, now we're saying the same things again for next year. Unbalanced recruitment in both years has left the squad over-stretched, players brought in then let go within months, (e.g we brought in Jordan Grayston late last season, didn't play him at all, then give him a few games this time then let him go, as clearly he hadn't fitted in at most other clubs he'd been to [not my criticism, just reading inbetween the lines] then we replace him with Cosgrove, who again can at best be said to have been greatly itinerant) we watch enviously as players become available who would bolster our squad then see them going elsewhere, and not always to better clubs. How can players choose let's say for argument Whitehaven, Workington etc

above us when we are regularly touted as the friendliest, most family orientated club by RL followers, and when players keep telling us that we've got a great set of lads and how they all get along etc? There is clearly a problem. Is it finance? Is it club policy? Is it that the coach can no longer inspire (or berate) the team? Is it that the players can't be bothered? (They clearly can't be putting themselves in the shop window for moves if they're not happy here on these performances except for the odd couple). It is IMPERATIVE that we bring in a capable half back, regardless of the hand-wringing that goes on in saying that it's down to availability: Cooke was clearly available at the right money, or why is he now at Featherstone? Sammut has left Wakefield,  where is he headed? Rumour has it Whitehaven, why? Are they so financially sound to afford him whereas we can't? You tell us that finance isn't the problem, show us instead of telling us. We need to show some enterprise here!! Only and until any player tells us where to shove it should we no longer pursue any avenue to improve the playing lot. Same goes for the coach and staff. John Kear did the club a great favour by coming here, raised the profile no end, and your work in getting him here is to be greatly applauded, but I really can't think of another instance of any other club limping along through a myriad of awful performances where the coach hasn't either been dismissed or has walked. You only need to look at Paul Cooke, who had such a great season and a half at Doncaster, yet walked this season as soon as it became clear that his charges were no longer responding. Sadly, we appear to have reached that same point yet, outwardly at least, there appear to be no action being taken. After seeing his squad repeatedly let him down what more can he say to them at the next training session? How can he begin to inspire them again? I honestly don't think he can. Ask me who I think could and along with the other 400 die hards my answer would be God knows, but somebody must fancy having a crack.

Kevin, looking at your position solely as a supporter you are quite clearly entitled to show your disappointment, and I would go so far as to say that even as chairman you are entitled to show that same disappointment. These are people who you pay good money to in signing on fees, contracts and match pay, and when they continue to serve up such unenterprising rugby week on week, I'd say you should be top of the list to express such feelings. However, I must take you to task, if that's the right expression, regarding your assertion that sometime things will get better. As a supporter from 1960 I have been through the full range of emotions at this club, from the dire performances of the late 60's and the late 70's, to being at away games when the supporters have got there before the team bus and players have been getting off the bus in states of undress almost having to fall straight onto the field and a myriad of other things, and clearly over the last period of years up to and including the NRC final and Grand Final appearances things have improved along the way, but now this this week, next week, sometime, never attitude is not something we can afford. Time is not on our side, unless the time is being put aside for next year's challenge for the Div. 1 title!! Bulldog Days' above post from August last year still stands up to scrutiny, as he was saying then that last season was a disaster and hoped that lessons would be learned in time for this year, now we're saying the same things again for next year. Unbalanced recruitment in both years has left the squad over-stretched, players brought in then let go within months, (e.g we brought in Jordan Grayston late last season, didn't play him at all, then give him a few games this time then let him go, as clearly he hadn't fitted in at most other clubs he'd been to [not my criticism, just reading inbetween the lines] then we replace him with Cosgrove, who again can at best be said to have been greatly itinerant) we watch enviously as players become available who would bolster our squad then see them going elsewhere, and not always to better clubs. How can players choose let's say for argument Whitehaven, Workington etc

above us when we are regularly touted as the friendliest, most family orientated club by RL followers, and when players keep telling us that we've got a great set of lads and how they all get along etc? There is clearly a problem. Is it finance? Is it club policy? Is it that the coach can no longer inspire (or berate) the team? Is it that the players can't be bothered? (They clearly can't be putting themselves in the shop window for moves if they're not happy here on these performances except for the odd couple). It is IMPERATIVE that we bring in a capable half back, regardless of the hand-wringing that goes on in saying that it's down to availability: Cooke was clearly available at the right money, or why is he now at Featherstone? Sammut has left Wakefield,  where is he headed? Rumour has it Whitehaven, why? Are they so financially sound to afford him whereas we can't? You tell us that finance isn't the problem, show us instead of telling us. We need to show some enterprise here!! Only and until any player tells us where to shove it should we no longer pursue any avenue to improve the playing lot. Same goes for the coach and staff. John Kear did the club a great favour by coming here, raised the profile no end, and your work in getting him here is to be greatly applauded, but I really can't think of another instance of any other club limping along through a myriad of awful performances where the coach hasn't either been dismissed or has walked. You only need to look at Paul Cooke, who had such a great season and a half at Doncaster, yet walked this season as soon as it became clear that his charges were no longer responding. Sadly, we appear to have reached that same point yet, outwardly at least, there appear to be no action being taken. After seeing his squad repeatedly let him down what more can he say to them at the next training session? How can he begin to inspire them again? I honestly don't think he can. Ask me who I think could and along with the other 400 die hards my answer would be God knows, but somebody must fancy having a crack.

Bloody hell Phil were you up all night writing that,some very good points there. For what it's worth I still think you'll survive,London on Wednesday & Whitehaven (a) on the 14th are massive games

Its all very good mr Nichols you mentioning a half back when last week mr Kear said we didn't need one, do you and the coach not communicate or does as it seems, no one listen's, or is it a case of, what i say is what happen's, imo if Mr Kear had any morals at all he would quit, he's too old to coach at this level, & at this level you cannot play one man rugby and just depend on forwards to win a game, we need a young younger coach to play a fast flowing game, a coach that knows the speed of the game, & one that will teach the players to give the ball some air, im sure there will be plenty of talented coaches out there that would jump at the chance to come to our great club, & do a much better job and one that will concentrate oo batley and not 3 other jobs, to me its got to be someone who gives 100% to batley and not 25%.

As Chairman tonight was a low point for me and as players left the pitch I feel I was poor in not recognising their efforts after we fell away in the second half. Now after the dust has settled and with support from true friends I need to stand forward with a positive approach and that is what I intend to do regardless of any understandable negativity from others.

1. We have a group of coaches, back room staff & players that are quality people.

2.We will continue to look to strengthen at half back but if it does not happen then we will improve with the fit players we have.

3.We will stick together no matter what and turn it round. The next 2 games this week will not be easy but we will strive to improve against full time teams as we look to get a win under our belts and kick on .

4.Some critics & some paying spectators will not be convinced and that is fair enough and maybe understandable but supporters will help us by getting behind the team no matter what and thanks to those people we will turn it round whether that be this week, next week or after that but we will turn it round no matter what.

5. Whatever some people say on here or elsewhere we will work together and nothing anybody can say will stop us. Watch this space as they say.

6. Make no mistake we have our backs to the wall but that is the challenge which we at Batley are up to whether others think so or not.

Just thought I would make this statement. It is nice to have people believe but if not so be it.I believe and our players&coaches will prove me right. Any help you can give will be greatly appreciated though as it is a lot easier if everybody pulls in the same direction.

By the way thank you for your support in not easy circumstances.Whatever replies there are or not I will not respond now as I have stated my position. We have a great Board & chief exec at Batley and great hardcore support ( even if could do with a few more!) and together we will back our players/ coaches to turn it round.

Hope we get a few there on Wednesday to get a few quid for Danny Jones family.

I like you Kevin and admire your principles, but fans are leaving in droves and change is needed.

I ask you as a season ticket holder and fan of over 30 years, please relieve John Kear of his role as coach and get a fresh face in with new ideas., before we lose the few fans we have left.

We are customers, and we arent happy, and deep down watching this dross werk in week out for the last 2 seasons, you camt be happy either.

It is getting progressively worse and the club is dying as a result as our already small fan base is getting smaller every week.

What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law

Last nights decision to play Lee Mitchell at stand off must go down as one of the

strangest decisions ever made.To play a man there who doesn't pass the ball is

unbelievable, but it's getting worse by the week Kear just hasn't got a clue these

days, he needs putting out to grass and quickly.A total has been and don't feed

me that ###### about we don't sack coaches he's taking us into division 1 despite

Kevins optimism.Don't leave it too late get rid of the dinasour before he ruins

our club it's in your hands chairman.

cracking post phil.and spot on too as jk is a fossil.when we have players falling out on the bench it shows they care and know things are wrong on and off the pitch,all this cobblers about jk staying loyal until end a seasons a load a tosh if he had got the wakey job he would a been off like a flash,so someone needs to grow a pair and admit things aint working and havent for weeks on end,we dont expect to win every game but as fans we want to compete week on week,on the way home i really did think to myself that it no more until theres a change and i aint on my own thats for sure.trips to hemel and cov are looking to the flavour for next season unless somethings done this  next week. :(

So if we survive this season what is in store? We will cobble a squad of 20 odd players next year, of middling to average/mediocre ability (unwilling or unable to pay for the better ones) who, if we get a few injuries or other bad luck, will be struggling to win a game. The number of spectators will become gradually downtrodden by what they are watching and gradually decrease and the vicious circle will continue until eventually our luck runs out and relegation occurs. A club that keeps flirting with relegation usually gets its comeuppance eventually, and cannot have any complaint when it happens. With the way the financial set up is now in RL, those well run, successful clubs will pick up the larger amount of the pay out of the TV/sponsorship money and the gap will become bigger each year between those clubs and those who make up the numbers.

its all self inficted fred and done by those we trust to know what there doing,cant be right for fans to know how to play players in right posistions when we have a coach of "quality". :pickeat:

In regards to signing halfbacks Batley could try and sign Jordan Lilley on loan from the Leeds Rhinos. It is reported in the Yorkshire Evening Post that he could make his debut for the Leeds Rhinos against Wakefield tomorrow. He is also the England Academy scrum half. Batley get an half back for a month or couple of months and Leeds have a player gaining experience in the Championship. 

"Anyone who does not watch rugby league is not a real person."

-John Singleton,

In regards to signing halfbacks Batley could try and sign Jordan Lilley on loan from the Leeds Rhinos. It is reported in the Yorkshire Evening Post that he could make his debut for the Leeds Rhinos against Wakefield tomorrow. He is also the England Academy scrum half. Batley get an half back for a month or couple of months and Leeds have a player gaining experience in the Championship.

A few weeks ago up at the mount, 3 amateur finals were played, that's 6 teams and 6 half back pairings. 12 players in total, all at the top of their game in their respective leagues. Why wasn't someone from the coaching staff there to watch/scout these players ?

We have done well in the past recruiting from the amateur game, Alex Walmsley stands testament to that.

Why wasn't all 12 of the half backs invited to a couple of training sessions ?

I'm pretty sure, a player could have been found that was a natural half back, and could have put in a better stint than someone playing out of position.

I'm sure any of one of them would jump at the chance to step up, and earn a wage for doing something they love.

A few weeks ago up at the mount, 3 amateur finals were played, that's 6 teams and 6 half back pairings. 12 players in total, all at the top of their game in their respective leagues. Why wasn't someone from the coaching staff there to watch/scout these players ?

We have done well in the past recruiting from the amateur game, Alex Walmsley stands testament to that.

Why wasn't all 12 of the half backs invited to a couple of training sessions ?

I'm pretty sure, a player could have been found that was a natural half back, and could have put in a better stint than someone playing out of position.

I'm sure any of one of them would jump at the chance to step up, and earn a wage for doing something they love.

Good point BD. it is all about being proactive, not reactive.

Archived