Doesn't players' subs and memberships etc. cover the bills? Not arguing against the price going up as I don't think 4 quid is unreasonable but other amateur sports such as football and cricket don't charge admission and still manage (cricket clubs can actually pay professional players in amateur leagues).

Im not sure about football but I think most cricket teams play in local leagues therefore I would be very surprised if they have the costs of playing fro coaches for away trips

The travel expenses for clubs soon rising when you have a few away trips to pay for gate receipts only go towards these costs.

If a  cricket team are paying surly that shows they have a very generous sponsor or other revenue streams are very profitable.

It's not true to say 'amateur' cricket is free. A few examples of admission charges at games I've watched in the last few weeks:

Accrington (Lancashire League) £4, including programme

Barrow (Northern League) £2, including programme

Lightcliffe (Bradford League) £3, including programme

League rules dictate Lancashire League clubs charge £4 admission and Bradford League clubs £3 admission.

I was told the overseas professional for one Lancashire League cricket club (I won't name it) is being paid £12,000 for his summer's work in 2015.

Also, you have to drop a very long way down the rugby union pyramid before you find admission prices at NCL ARL level - ie £2-2.50. The latter remains outstanding value, I reckon.

over the border u are miles away from what it costs to run an ARLFC. Coach travel alone per season is in excess of £5000 that is before cost for cup games. Cost of Kit n accessories £1500 a year at least. After match food along with other incidental expenses e.g. line marking white, training etc. Average gate takings approx. £350. As you can see if clubs did not do fundraising to assist cost most would go to the wall.

Its nice to be important, but never forget its important to be nice!!!

Suppose its how an individual values the work of the volunteers who run the amatuer game , the cost of running an amatuer club is staggering when you break it all down .

£4 is not a lot of money these days not the price of a pint in some places .

The amatuer players give excellent value for money cant belive someone is complaining about donating £ 4 to help keep the amatuer game afloat .

To be fair maxwel and Barbara Henderson I'm not particularly involved in amateur RL other than being a spectator so I really don't know what kind of amount is needed to run a club, or even how much subs are for players, I was just asking the question really based on other sports.

Hopping Mad I wasn't aware of that - from experience of the Bolton Association and the Liverpool Comp, teams don't charge a fee, although the pros generally get paid a little less I believe (I've heard 8k bandied about a bit for a couple of players previously). One club had a local businessman bankrolling signings for a few years, and I've no doubt other clubs have the same, although not every club, although I know subs (and then weekly so-called tea money) aren't cheap these days and seem to be rising.

Casyorkie fair point, I hadn't considered the travel, indeed local games (travelled to by car) for cricket are a lot cheaper than a trip from Pats to Hull for instance on a coach.

Again, I'm not knocking the price, although when what you guys have said is taken into consideration, £2.50 doesn't seem enough for rugby league.

Archived