No Confidence in Board

Kevin Nicholas

The sooner all critics realise that our chairman is probably the clubs biggest fan the better this site will be. Does anybody know a club chairman who on match days puts the winning ticket numbers on the board for all to see? I've been to most grounds in the RL and never heard winning numbers. How many chairman will take a bin linner round the club to help clear up? How many chairman's wife help run a bar? The answer to all 3 questions is non .sorry I forgot to mention the investment of 3 to 4 hundred k . We all make mistakes, KN will admit he has but remember without him the fans forum would not exist because the club wouldn't

Heartwarming stuff. I realise that our chairman is a fan of the club, and am aware does chores around the ground. Very commendable. However, does this mean that we should not look to change, adapt and evolve - as have other clubs?

If Mr Nicholas wants the club to develop and be the best it can be - which as a fan I would expect will be the case, he needs to surround himself by people who are capable of helping him to achieve that aim.

'Stagnant' is the word I'd use to describe Batley Bulldogs at the moment, and sadly it appears that too many fans are happy with that situation.

r02c.gif

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Also, while I'm at it, there's nothing wrong with using pseudonyms on this forum.  There are more than a few pro and semi-pro players and other club officials who are members here anonymously posting and chewing the fat with fellow rugby fans without having to reveal themselves, tying their views to their professional profiles and being unfairly criticised just because of who they are.  On the other side, there's been more than a few people who have been grossly unfairly persecuted by being a whistleblower or just using robust criticism and using their real name while they do, so you may understand why people choose not to reveal their names.  In my time as an administrator of this forum I've seen club officials grossly unfairly treat fans simply because they used their real name to dare to criticise their club"

The reason "keyboard warriors" exist is because they hide behind user names. Words such as persecuted are pretty strong stuff. When talking about whistleblowers surely there needs to be some perspective into what the subject matter is, we're not dealing with a goverment cover up or anything of significant magnitude, we're talking about a Rugby League club, I understand people are passionate but there needs to be a semblance of balance.

If someone has a go at an individual why would you be suprised when that person responds likewise. I honestly believe that usernames are a total red herring for people that don't have an ounce of moral fibre or a back bone, these people I'm sure will have a go on here & then shake hands in "real life" with the person who they've had a go at. I understand that people have different agendas & in some respects that's healthy, however I fail to understand how issues can be addressed properly when you don't even realise who you're dealing with. The top & bottom of it is that they're cowards. I'm all for open & robust debate, just have the courage to put your name to it. I wont hold my breath...... 

Paul Halloran.

"Also, while I'm at it, there's nothing wrong with using pseudonyms on this forum. There are more than a few pro and semi-pro players and other club officials who are members here anonymously posting and chewing the fat with fellow rugby fans without having to reveal themselves, tying their views to their professional profiles and being unfairly criticised just because of who they are. On the other side, there's been more than a few people who have been grossly unfairly persecuted by being a whistleblower or just using robust criticism and using their real name while they do, so you may understand why people choose not to reveal their names. In my time as an administrator of this forum I've seen club officials grossly unfairly treat fans simply because they used their real name to dare to criticise their club"

The reason "keyboard warriors" exist is because they hide behind user names. Words such as persecuted are pretty strong stuff. When talking about whistleblowers surely there needs to be some perspective into what the subject matter is, we're not dealing with a goverment cover up or anything of significant magnitude, we're talking about a Rugby League club, I understand people are passionate but there needs to be a semblance of balance.

If someone has a go at an individual why would you be suprised when that person responds likewise. I honestly believe that usernames are a total red herring for people that don't have an ounce of moral fibre or a back bone, these people I'm sure will have a go on here & then shake hands in "real life" with the person who they've had a go at. I understand that people have different agendas & in some respects that's healthy, however I fail to understand how issues can be addressed properly when you don't even realise who you're dealing with. The top & bottom of it is that they're cowards. I'm all for open & robust debate, just have the courage to put your name to it. I wont hold my breath......

Paul Halloran.

Come on, you really don't think those in charge of the club don't know EXACTLY what the real identities of people who post under pseudonyms on here are?

The criticism I see on this forum of late is not slanderous and it's not insulting. The overwhelming majority of it is constructive and measured.

Take the post expressing concern over the club's failure to change advertising banners over the last week. Isn't this valid? The identity of the gentleman who posted his concerns about the banners/posters is well known to those in charge of the club.

I also believe that my own real identity is known by those in charge of the club. After all, enough people have referred to me by my real name on this forum when replying to my posts. I have no issue with this. If someone from the club would like to come and have a conversation with me at a match, I'd have no issue with this either and would reiterate the points I make on the forum.

As for 'shaking hands', it's worth pointing out that I don't know Mr Nicholas. I've never associated with him, and have never mingled in the board room/lounge/bar either before or after games. I've never even had a conversation with him. I'm simply a fan who attends home and away games, spending money religiously. I've no need to be on personal terms with Mr Nicholas, Mr Winner, Mr Harrison or any of the players. Neither do I have any desire to be on personal terms with them.

However, I do like to comment on what I see, especially as generations of my family and I have invested so much money in the club over the last 100+ years and continue to do so.

When the club has done things well, I've praised them. When things are badly done - or are not being done at all, I'll be constructively negative. It's up to Mr Nicholas to take criticism on board and act accordingly if he feels it carries weight. We're his customers, after all, and professional sport is a customer service industry. Mr Nicholas may have invested time and money in the club, but so have the fans.

r02c.gif

"Also, while I'm at it, there's nothing wrong with using pseudonyms on this forum.  There are more than a few pro and semi-pro players and other club officials who are members here anonymously posting and chewing the fat with fellow rugby fans without having to reveal themselves, tying their views to their professional profiles and being unfairly criticised just because of who they are.  On the other side, there's been more than a few people who have been grossly unfairly persecuted by being a whistleblower or just using robust criticism and using their real name while they do, so you may understand why people choose not to reveal their names.  In my time as an administrator of this forum I've seen club officials grossly unfairly treat fans simply because they used their real name to dare to criticise their club"

Paul Halloran.

The last time I checked Paul we are living in a democratic society, where people are allowed to express views, and a RL Fans Forum is just one of many social media vehicles that can be used for this purpose, where people can choose to reveal their true ID or not, like it or otherwise.

I have certainly no axe to grind with Kevin Nicholas on a personal level, and indeed have given him plaudits on many occasions, but unfortunately Kevin is the only person that can change things at the Club, as sole owner, and obviously points are directed towards him.

It is evident that things have been 'stagnating' over a couple of seasons at the Mount, and just maybe a hint of complacency has begun to set in. The genuine supporters, of which group I count myself and family, are witnessing a good coach and a set of players giving their all on the pitch, and after yesterday's courageous performance deserve us all to get behind them for the remainder of the season and kick some opposition butt. The flip side of this is that Kevin needs to support this team from behind the scenes, strengthen the squad to share the season's workload, and create a sustainable infrastructure for fundraising and marketing the Club to enable us to compete at his level for honours and prize money. If Kevin is unable to do this due to work commitments etc, hold his hand up and bring in some expertise onto the Board to support him, or pay somebody to come in and support Paul Harrison, with set financial targets, to enable us to compete for the ever increasing prize money in our game.

If Kevin's ambition for the Club is to purely survive in this division, please be transparent and communicate this to the supporters, and expectations levels can be set without all the frustrations and 'conspiracy theories' that tend to emerge due to non communication. Conversely, if this is Kevin's ambition, please communicate a plan that suggests we are competing for certain goals over a specific timeframe, which suggests to supporters that a plan actually exists, and we can buy into that . I am sure that he has given John Kear some targets?

I do not believe any of the above comments arise from being a 'coward' , purely a very passionate supporter of a Club with great heritage, who has pride in our team and cares for the future of our Club.

Thanks for the reply "The Terminator" You've misunderstood my post, at no time have I said that debate shouldn't happen or mentioned any individuals, my comments related to anyone who feels they can have a go at whoever, be that a fellow fan, referee, coach, groundsman etc, etc. I'm not saying anyone shouldn't vent their spleen, what should happen is they should have the balls to front up by putting their name to it. If everyone at the club & other posters know who you are what's the problem in putting your real name to it. I don't know who you are & have no axe to grind with anyone, however if I did randomly start having a go at people, I'm sure you would be at least curious as to who that person is. To re-iterate it's nothing to do with what's posted or who to, it's all about not hiding behind something. If people try & justify that, so be it. To the people that do put their own names on here fair play to you.

Cheers,

Paul Halloran. 

Thanks for the reply "The Terminator" You've misunderstood my post, at no time have I said that debate shouldn't happen or mentioned any individuals, my comments related to anyone who feels they can have a go at whoever, be that a fellow fan, referee, coach, groundsman etc, etc. I'm not saying anyone shouldn't vent their spleen, what should happen is they should have the balls to front up by putting their name to it. If everyone at the club & other posters know who you are what's the problem in putting your real name to it. I don't know who you are & have no axe to grind with anyone, however if I did randomly start having a go at people, I'm sure you would be at least curious as to who that person is. To re-iterate it's nothing to do with what's posted or who to, it's all about not hiding behind something. If people try & justify that, so be it. To the people that do put their own names on here fair play to you.

Cheers,

Paul Halloran.

You must have missed the piece I wrote about those at the club being aware of people's true identities - which, in the majority of cases, they most certainly do.

In any case, why shouldn't debate happen amongst people using assumed names? If Mr Nicholas doesn't like what he reads, it's up to him. He doesn't have to take any criticism on board. If he does feel that people have a point, perhaps he could act upon that criticism. Knowing someone's 'true identity' is irrelevant unless a comment is slanderous or insulting.

If Mr Nicholas approached me at a match, I would engage him in conversation and reiterate the points I've made on this forum. Labelling me as a 'coward' because I choose to post under a pseudonym on an unofficial fans forum is a huge misnomer on your part. Do you think I am scared of Mr Nicholas? That seems to be what you're suggesting?

Just to clarify, my name is Tom Nicholson. Are you happy with this 'admission'? What do you intend to do with this information now that you have it? Has it benefited you to know this?

r02c.gif

Thanks "Bulldog Days" see my post above.

You too have misunderstood my post. Peoples democratic rights are a right given by people who had the courage to stand up & fight for something that was worth fighting for (it's called moral fibre) in any fight there is always people that will keep quiet & not front up yet still want the benefits of said democracy. Not knocking anybody for having an opinion, but why wouldn't you want to put your name to something if you are so passionate about it??

Cheers,

Paul.

Cheers,

Paul Halloran.

I am sure that many of the points made Paul standup for themselves , with or without poster IDs. The truth is the truth, and the very fact that people take the time and effort to post these points would suggest that they care about what is and what is not happening to the Club. Unfortunately the 'come and talk to me over a pint' days are over, and until people see a little more transparency and communication of goals, they will remain frustrated and 'hide' as 'cowards ' behind poster IDs.

Thanks "Bulldog Days" see my post above.

You too have misunderstood my post. Peoples democratic rights are a right given by people who had the courage to stand up & fight for something that was worth fighting for (it's called moral fibre) in any fight there is always people that will keep quiet & not front up yet still want the benefits of said democracy. Not knocking anybody for having an opinion, but why wouldn't you want to put your name to something if you are so passionate about it??

Cheers,

Paul.

Its called choice Paul, you know me, you know i hide from no one on any form of social media or in the real world anywhere or anytime, however, there are those who choose to remain anoonymous and you must accept their decision to do so.

I am sure that many of the points made Paul standup for themselves , with or without poster IDs. The truth is the truth, and the very fact that people take the time and effort to post these points would suggest that they care about what is and what is not happening to the Club. Unfortunately the 'come and talk to me over a pint' days are over, and until people see a little more transparency and communication of goals, they will remain frustrated and 'hide' as 'cowards ' behind poster IDs. 

Once again for clarification & at the risk of being repetitive, I have no issue with what is said & to whom as long as it's not personal or insulting. I said earlier, people are understandably passionate, quite rightly. Issues can be sorted out in numerous ways, I prefer to front people up as you are then able to converse properly as there's always 2 sides to the story, however you obviously see it differently & I respect your stance, whether we agree or not. Your unwillingness to sign your name has confirmed my stance though.

Cheers,

Paul.

Once again for clarification & at the risk of being repetitive, I have no issue with what is said & to whom as long as it's not personal or insulting. I said earlier, people are understandably passionate, quite rightly. Issues can be sorted out in numerous ways, I prefer to front people up as you are then able to converse properly as there's always 2 sides to the story, however you obviously see it differently & I respect your stance, whether we agree or not. Your unwillingness to sign your name has confirmed my stance though.

Cheers,

Paul.

How do we know your name is really Paul Halloran?

Tom

Hi Tom,

Ask Gary Coyle.

I'd be a bit stupid to be fair asking for transparency & then posting under a false name. I will try & attach a photo later, just not the worlds greatest with tech'

Cheers,

Paul.

Aye Tom, thats Paul, thick as ####

Sorry mate but you left yourself wide open for that one LOL

Hi Tom,

Ask Gary Coyle.

I'd be a bit stupid to be fair asking for transparency & then posting under a false name. I will try & attach a photo later, just not the worlds greatest with tech'

Cheers,

Paul.

But I don't know what Paul Halloran looks like, so that wouldn't help!

Tom

Supertyke if you send me your tel. No I am happy to discuss issues with you. Sorry not really an Internet person hence no Pm reply no other reason than that. Cheers.

I will get in touch presently Kevin

Hi Tom,

Tom, other than giving you my inside leg measurements, I'm not sure what you want me to do? I suppose you'll just have to work on the principle of trust as I am with you. No hidden agenda. The only thing with me because I've put my name to it is you can actually check me out - not that you'd want to, as I'm sure you've better things to do with your time!!!!

Gary, how very dare you!!!! Open & honest mate, admitting my short comings!!!  

Dolmio, agreed it's tedious. What started as a simple impartial post has become like Through The Keyhole!!!!!!!

Cheers again,

Paul Halloran.

Hi Tom,

Tom, other than giving you my inside leg measurements, I'm not sure what you want me to do? I suppose you'll just have to work on the principle of trust as I am with you. No hidden agenda. The only thing with me because I've put my name to it is you can actually check me out - not that you'd want to, as I'm sure you've better things to do with your time!!!!

Gary, how very dare you!!!! Open & honest mate, admitting my short comings!!!  

Dolmio, agreed it's tedious. What started as a simple impartial post has become like Through The Keyhole!!!!!!!

Cheers again,

Paul Halloran. 

Just trying to make the point that it's very easy for anybody to pretend to be somebody they're not.

Having been on this forum for a while, I know who quite a few of the Dewsbury and Batley fans are 'in real life'.

But for argument's sake, 'Lone Drinker' could tell me his real name was Jimmy Jackson and post a photo to support his claim and I wouldn't be in any position to question it!

So I'm not sure what you're going to achieve.

Tom

Archived