Ambition

Kevin Nicholas

There has been mention on here of lack of ambition at the Club and I would like to understand that perception more.

If you were a Director as well as a supporter what would your ambitions be in the short term ( maybe next 2/3 years) and longer term(say next 10years). I do not mean a wish list but reasonably realisable ambitions.

This is a proper rugby related topic for discussion and think it will be interesting to see for everybody hopefully.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

finish above all the teams on a similar budget to ours and continue to compete with the teams above us.a place in the final hopefully a victory in the championship eights in the very near future. and finally try to find another amateur gem like walmsley.

I simply want to see the club grow and develop into what it is capable of becoming, and I don't want to see us go backwards.

We have a terrific ground, a loyal existing fanbase and a lot of people in our town who are potential fans. Plenty to build on.

r02c.gif

There has been mention on here of lack of ambition at the Club and I would like to understand that perception more.

If you were a Director as well as a supporter what would your ambitions be in the short term ( maybe next 2/3 years) and longer term(say next 10years). I do not mean a wish list but reasonably realisable ambitions.

This is a proper rugby related topic for discussion and think it will be interesting to see for everybody hopefully.

Fair play to you Kevin for asking these questions.

I think first of all you should probably look at the assets you already have - a fiercely loyal fan base, not the largest in the world, but a good set of advocates for the Club and the values it stands for, a good core to build on (albeit a very opinionated group, but that shows that we care about what's happening). If you look at the supporters on match days, you will also see many young families who are attracted to the Mount, which can't be a bad thing for the future. That's how most of us started at the Mount.

Secondly, with very hard work from you and the Board, we have a Stadium that is seen in a very positive light by the majority of away supporters, who generally have a first class match day experience. Our Stadium also has the capacity for expansion, as we become more successful.

Thirdly, despite some recent posts ( and I respect those opinions), we have a solid Coach with a Super League pedigree, well respected in the game, who has coached at the highest level, and won trophies with teams that have not been regarded as fashionable. I could go on Kevin, but the above points would suggest that we have a good platform on which to build and expand the Club.

In what form would we like success? Speaking for myself, I Would like to see a stronger squad with more depth, and we are not light years away from this. The lads on Sunday gave their everything to almost conquer a very strong Leigh side, showing guts and courage to front up to huge levels of intimidation, and played a game with a little more expansion and confidence. This provides the entertainment that the fans pay money to see, and drink beer to celebrate/discuss, and attract additional support. We have probably the best set of forwards in this division, but our halfs and threequarters need strengthening to cover injuries/ rest - rotate players, etc.

How is success measured? I would certainly be happy to be in the top 4 every season, competing in play off situations and challenging for some success. That is one of the attractions of bringing players to a Club, and additional support and revenue........which brings me to my next and final point.

To achieve and maintain success, I feel we need to start the process of restructuring the 'back office'. I am sure Kevin that in consultation with John Kear you could calculate the approximate cost of making the relevant additions to the squad. To secure your own investment in the Club, and to ensure future growth, I firmly believe that Paul Harrison needs support in his role as CEO, and that investment in a Commercial Director is required. If you put a business plan together to calculate the cost of squad expansion, stadium expansion, etc, pay a salary and bonus the person to achieve those income levels, which would have to be realistic. Is it worth speaking with BISSA to part fund such an appointment, and include them in the selection of a candidate? After all, such an appointment would certainly be in the category of 'squad building.'

That's my two pennorth Kevin. I hope it gives you some food for thought and a little more focus to help you.

I think first of all you should probably look at the assets you already have - a fiercely loyal fan base, not the largest in the world, but a good set of advocates for the Club and the values it stands for, a good core to build on (albeit a very opinionated group, but that shows that we care about what's happening). If you look at the supporters on match days, you will also see many young families who are attracted to the Mount, which can't be a bad thing for the future. That's how most of us started at the Mount.

Secondly, with very hard work from you and the Board, we have a Stadium that is seen in a very positive light by the majority of away supporters, who generally have a first class match day experience. Our Stadium also has the capacity for expansion, as we become more successful.

Thirdly, despite some recent posts ( and I respect those opinions), we have a solid Coach with a Super League pedigree, well respected in the game, who has coached at the highest level, and won trophies with teams that have not been regarded as fashionable. I could go on Kevin, but the above points would suggest that we have a good platform on which to build and expand the Club.

In what form would we like success? Speaking for myself, I Would like to see a stronger squad with more depth, and we are not light years away from this. The lads on Sunday gave their everything to almost conquer a very strong Leigh side, showing guts and courage to front up to huge levels of intimidation, and played a game with a little more expansion and confidence. This provides the entertainment that the fans pay money to see, and drink beer to celebrate/discuss, and attract additional support. We have probably the best set of forwards in this division, but our halfs and threequarters need strengthening to cover injuries/ rest - rotate players, etc.

How is success measured? I would certainly be happy to be in the top 4 every season, competing in play off situations and challenging for some success. That is one of the attractions of bringing players to a Club, and additional support and revenue........which brings me to my next and final point.

To achieve and maintain success, I feel we need to start the process of restructuring the 'back office'. I am sure Kevin that in consultation with John Kear you could calculate the approximate cost of making the relevant additions to the squad. To secure your own investment in the Club, and to ensure future growth, I firmly believe that Paul Harrison needs support in his role as CEO, and that investment in a Commercial Director is required. If you put a business plan together to calculate the cost of squad expansion, stadium expansion, etc, pay a salary and bonus the person to achieve those income levels, which would have to be realistic. Is it worth speaking with BISSA to part fund such an appointment, and include them in the selection of a candidate? After all, such an appointment would certainly be in the category of 'squad building.'

That's my two pennorth Kevin. I hope it gives you some food for thought and a little more focus to help you.

+1
r02c.gif

2/3 years a top 4 divsion side with a second team and u19's in playing against wigan,leeds and huddersfield..

10/15 years.. Let's aim for the big league.. It needs to be done also bring the scholarship,u19's and also a second team because theirs alot of junior talent who won't be kept on and deserve a chance at batley

competing as a top 4 side and we are not that far off, just needed a couple of extra additions in the backs and those 6-7 pt losses would have more than likely been wins.

then 4/6 yrs time a crack at the top league as long as RFL haven't changed the goalposts yet again.

The long stand side finally completed to accomaodate the extra fans when we get a shot at top league.

That we attract more folk from the town to come on match days and keep going to games .

a 2nd team and u-19's will be essential in reaching some of these goals and be THE club that young talent want to start their Rugby career with.

Stoopid Cup Winner 2012

More resources put to commercail activities rather than the ground improvments. We have a great ground but need a team to attract more fans. Also a full time commercail manager to increase sponsership and cooperavative clients to our matches. Maybe a bonus incentive scheme for who ever takes up the postion it will encourage him or her to excell.

A season ticket offer for next year, market it to death so everyone is aware of it and lets see if we can smash a target of a thousand with a big emphasis on cheap/free kids tickets as they are the future plus kids result in more paying adults.

if you make your money on season tickets you could also have 1 game a season were it is free entry (assuming you wouldn't be losing out on too much gate revenue for that particular game), again advertise it to the hilt, get it filled, get everyone interested and coming back for future games.  Would probably make money back on catering etc.

As alluded to in previous threads, Fev, Leigh etc, no bigger than Batley but they have done something right to attract a good number of fans to regularly attend so we should follow suit and build the fan base which will ultimately build the club.

Take a look at Bradford City's season ticket push for next season as inspiration.

Playing wise Id like to see us finally use the link with Batley Boys, like Keighley do with the cougar cubs - a clear pathway from under 8s right through to the first team.

Thats the youth development box ticked right there - the Batley Boys could still run an open age team as now and the under 18s or equivalent would form our academy side.

Long term the benefits of this will be priceless to both clubs and interest in the sport in the town can only grow as a result.

Off the field as ive said on other threads we do come across as amatuerish with our odd opening hours and poor communication - the asvertising boards last week missing 2 games was outrageous.

I would also look to appoint a couple more board members with proven business accumen from the local area to help bring more investment and know how into the day to day running of the club.

Other clubs seem to have hoards of board members yet ours doesnt seem to have had an injection of fresh blood in a long time, and that could be a good thing, a couple of fresh pairs of eyes to help with the day to day running of the club could help address a lot of the issues fans are frustrated with at times.

Dont take that the wrong way, i like the current board, but we always seem to need help with all sorts, so a few new faces appointed to it would be a good thing IMO.

Once the above are in place, i believe we would be in a position to move forward in all areas at a much faster rate than we have been.

What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law

Playing wise Id like to see us finally use the link with Batley Boys, like Keighley do with the cougar cubs - a clear pathway from under 8s right through to the first team.

Thats the youth development box ticked right there - the Batley Boys could still run an open age team as now and the under 18s or equivalent would form our academy side.

Long term the benefits of this will be priceless to both clubs and interest in the sport in the town can only grow as a result.

Off the field as ive said on other threads we do come across as amatuerish with our odd opening hours and poor communication - the asvertising boards last week missing 2 games was outrageous.

I would also look to appoint a couple more board members with proven business accumen from the local area to help bring more investment and know how into the day to day running of the club.

Other clubs seem to have hoards of board members yet ours doesnt seem to have had an injection of fresh blood in a long time, and that could be a good thing, a couple of fresh pairs of eyes to help with the day to day running of the club could help address a lot of the issues fans are frustrated with at times.

Dont take that the wrong way, i like the current board, but we always seem to need help with all sorts, so a few new faces appointed to it would be a good thing IMO.

Once the above are in place, i believe we would be in a position to move forward in all areas at a much faster rate than we have been.

but theres other kids at other clubs that would be good enough for an u19's... But i agree follow keighley also maybe try and raise an 19's also u16's scholarship side and see if the kids can take on the likes of wigan and so on.. Featherstone sheffield leigh even dewsbury have started with the second team

but theres other kids at other clubs that would be good enough for an u19's... But i agree follow keighley also maybe try and raise an 19's also u16's scholarship side and see if the kids can take on the likes of wigan and so on.. Featherstone sheffield leigh even dewsbury have started with the second team

It could all fit under one banner, the junior section could be known as the Batley Bulldogs pups for example, then they progress up the ranks and at the older age groups can get a chsnce at a scholarship, plus we can attract other promising local amatuers to the club and develop them, without having to throw them in at the deep end and them not being good enough.

Clubs like ours need to produce our own talent and this would be win win as we could work in partnership with Batley Boys and is a great way of putting rugby league in the town under one banner - im sure lots of kids would love telling people they play for the Bulldogs, and thus the profile of the club goes up.

What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law

"Keep The Faith Tee Shirts now available from BISSA"

Spread & Save please hand your jars or any other container in on match days

Sponsored by Londis, Bradford Road Liversedge

Visit the BISSA Online Shop to purchase DVDs, books and event tickets

here

BISSA website

http://www.bissa.co.uk/

image1 (1).JPG

Sorry Bulldog days but the BISSA constitution states that monies can ONLY be used for the recruitment or retention of PLAYERS.We see where you're coming from but BISSA members money cannot be used for Club employees.

Colin Bottomley. BISSA Chairman.

here

BISSA website

image1 (1).JPG

Sorry Bulldog days but the BISSA constitution states that monies can ONLY be used for the recruitment or retention of PLAYERS.We see where you're coming from but BISSA members money cannot be used for Club employees.

Colin Bottomley. BISSA Chairman.

Colin, back in my day we were going to use money from BISSA with help from Cadburys to keep Baz Eaton as a player but also in a full time role working at the club in a marketing/community type role, unfortunatly it never happened but if it was OK back them, is something similar not acceptable now.

If the club employee is also a player, why not.

In that situation Barry Eaton still had a playing role,hence BISSA money could be used towards that. If say a commercial manager was just that,then no, BISSA money cannot be used. If though, say a current or new player also had a commercial role the members would be consulted at a special meeting.

BISSA Colin.

here

BISSA website

image1 (1).JPG

In that situation Barry Eaton still had a playing role,hence BISSA money could be used towards that. If say a commercial manager was just that,then no, BISSA money cannot be used. If though, say a current or new player also had a commercial role the members would be consulted at a special meeting.

BISSA Colin.

Thanks for the clarifications Colin/Barry. Looking at the player/commercial manager dual role, it gives an interesting option that maybe we could attract a quality leader on the field, and an additional source of income off the field.

I am no expert by any means but I would like to suggest that any long term progression and ambition for the club will be based upon the increase of commercial revenue. I have only subscribed to this forum for a short time but the passion for the club from its members is clearly evident so hard core support is not in question but we have always struggled to attract attendance's much above 1000 on average. What is not as transparent is the commercial support from some of the town's largest employers. Puma, from down the end of Grange Road sponsor Arsenal to the tune of 30m per season. Could they sponsor and / or supply our first team kit, training kit, match ball, match day sponsorship etc? And if not, why not? Who speaks to them and other large, local businesses? What is Fox's level of commitment for example and how do they promote our club to their customers? I am no corporate luvvie but have benefitted from corporate hospitality at sporting events and it can work. I would personally love to see the longer term ambition of the club include the development of local community projects as well as seeing the club be solvent and successful and if I lay myself open to criticism of being a happy clapper then I won't lose any sleep.

It could all fit under one banner, the junior section could be known as the Batley Bulldogs pups for example, then they progress up the ranks and at the older age groups can get a chsnce at a scholarship, plus we can attract other promising local amatuers to the club and develop them, without having to throw them in at the deep end and them not being good enough.

Clubs like ours need to produce our own talent and this would be win win as we could work in partnership with Batley Boys and is a great way of putting rugby league in the town under one banner - im sure lots of kids would love telling people they play for the Bulldogs, and thus the profile of the club goes up.

This is a fantastic idea. There's plenty of able people who would volunteer for local amateur and even school level scouting in a similar way to what The Giants do for their academy programme. This area is a hotbed of junior RL, with Moor, Shaw Cross, Drig, Batley, Birstall and Celtic all having teams at various age groups competing at the top level of their competitions.

Kids at 16/17 would love telling people they play for the Bulldogs. It's a step up and an aspiration. My daughter is the captain of the all conquering Batley Bulldogs Girls team and it means everything to her and more as a lifelong Dogs fan. The girls team is Buford's idea above already in action - the core of the team are the girls that played for Batley Boys, Birstall Vic, Drig and Thornhill until they were too old to play in the boys leagues. It was obvious when this team of girls got together that they would end up being special - they're currently unbeaten this season and generally hammering other teams with top quality rugby.

We (at Batley Boys) had a coaching seminar on talent spotting by (who I think was) one of the heads of the England RL academy. Someone asked what was the main thing he'd like to improve in the England RL player pathways from player-with-potential to Super League and beyond. His reply was that the removal of second teams was massively harming the game in the UK. He said that players that may not be good enough until they are 22-23 are falling out of the game altogether at 16 and 17 if they aren't suitable for Super League by then. He said that these players were generally massively talented but were leaving the game in large numbers as the drop was too far from Super League academy to local amateur. He used Alex Walmesley as an example of a player that came good against the odds and said his path should have been far smoother to the top. If players like Alex were given contracts for 3-5 years in their late teens with a view that they'll be first teamers by the end of that time we wouldn't have this big local talent drain.

A chunk of Sky money should be ring fenced for all teams to be able to run reserves. The coaching infrastructure and systems are there (one of the England academy coaches was recently poached by the Australian equivalent) and the noise coming from it should be listened to and acted on.

Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

NL Commercials are also a HUGE company these days and one of the best known commercial vehicle hire companies in the UK. The owner is also Batley born and bred. Could investment be a possibility? If not, the guy is obviously a very canny and shrewd businessman. Would his input be worthwhile at some level?

r02c.gif

NL Commercials are also a HUGE company these days and one of the best known commercial vehicle hire companies in the UK. The owner is also Batley born and bred. Could investment be a possibility? If not, the guy is obviously a very canny and shrewd businessman. Would his input be worthwhile at some level?

Had a good few sessions with Nigel many years ago, we used to call him the laughing lorry man, great bloke and liked by all, not seen him for years though.

Archived