London Skolars - what's going on ?

Poor old Wests, their season could be over now, they are down to play Skolars (at home) next week and Bears (at home) the week after.  According to London RL website, they have only played four home games this season.

I wonder what can be done for this league for next season?

We've had one home game and that was last Friday night

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

Poor old Wests, their season could be over now, they are down to play Skolars (at home) next week and Bears (at home) the week after. According to London RL website, they have only played four home games this season.

I wonder what can be done for this league for next season?

Unless the best east region teams can be persuaded to join I think the only thing that can be done is for Skolars to be ditched and the remaining 5 to play each other thrice. Of course if someone else drops out then I'm really out of ideas. Take Chargers and Rhinos out of the equation and the league could be merged with the south east division, but then where would you put those two sides?

Just crossed my mind, does anyone know who sorts out which teams go into which league at the London/East level.  Who, or which organisation,  would decide to amalgamate leagues, or to move teams up and down to higher/lower  leagues.  Do they ask the clubs what they want to do, do they ask for feedback or do they do it and then tell the clubs?  Just wondering if anyone knows. Ta. 

London and South East have one governing body and east a separate one. But the man who oversees it all nationwide is called David Butler. London and South East had a survey this year as well as asking clubs what they wanted. East appear to want to stick to a 6 team premier division format, theoretically the winner of division 1 replaces bottom of the premier division, but in practice I can't see that

London and South East have one governing body and east a separate one. But the man who oversees it all nationwide is called David Butler. London and South East had a survey this year as well as asking clubs what they wanted. East appear to want to stick to a 6 team premier division format, theoretically the winner of division 1 replaces bottom of the premier division, but in practice I can't see that

Dave Butler is on here

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

Dave Butler is on here

David I hope you are starting to realise what a mess the game is in, but we have 300 touch rugby teams in London, and less than 50% completion rate in Yorkshire Mens League, next to no U18/17/16 in Yorkshire and Lancashire, conflict in the NWC , oh and they have seen the biggest growth but under 7s still facing sanctions, where is the game going in Cumbria and the rest of the country, Yorkshire Juniors having a break lets see how many players come back to complete in September, we had less than 60 attendee's at our NCL match this last weekend, oh sorry we didn't have a BBQ they must have gone elsewhere.

If so, then it's bad news. I heard rumours to that effect a few weeks ago, but now, it seems, it's confirmed.

TBH, it doesn't surprise me, as at the start of the year I predicted they wouldn't see the season out.

Spoke to my former colleagues and it's not necessarily official but it's highly-unlikely games will be played this season.

I make you right on some things.  The move to Warlingham made the team a bit too Warlingham-centric, though the promotion to the Premier did help with recruitment of outside players.  However, there were issues that got the club to that point and it was a move made with the best intentions.

I was with the club up until last August when I moved.  It was probably a mistake to start in Beckenham, certainly at Goals.  It was expensive and the club were treated like second-class citizens.  A change in management led to broken promises and a lot of lies, an ongoing theme.  The committee looked everywhere in the Beckenham area after the 2013 seasons but we were being courted by Croydon RFC.  Given there wasn’t a viable alternative, we moved to Croydon RFC with a sense of trepidation.  Surprisingly it worked, partly because of the cosy clubhouse and friendly staff, partly because a lot of the players drive or carshare to training and it’s a fairly easy to get there by car.  The players that were lost were replaced by newbies who turned up out of the blue and were often younger and in better shape.

We only hosted four home games – two league games against depleted outfits and two friendlies, one against 15 – with two teams pulling out and only St Albans bringing a full matchday 17.  That doesn’t make financial sense at the bar.  Croydon didn’t deliver on their side either, the pitch was cut just once all summer and there were huge potholes we had to fill with sand.  They promised assistance with getting subs from players and matchday food and it didn't appear.  It was obvious to me that the motive of some of their committee was to poach players from other RU clubs but, instead, a few of the best CRFC players saw they were as good as guys at other Union clubs, in some cases several divisions above, and left.  Neither side got what they were looking for.

Due to the geographic spread of players and the willingness of players to drive, there was a wider search for a ground.  However, the club were courted by Warlingham RFC.  There was a charity game at the end of last year which was quite successful and with a number of good Warlingham players in the team, a large percentage of other players coming from that South Croydon area and a large percentage of drivers, it made sense to try.  They offered a longer-term deal and the club could finally plan seasons in advance rather than just season-to-season.  However, it has come off the rails almost entirely due to player commitment.  Even the 2s have fallen away.  As you said, they have good players and the facilities are excellent but there's Entry League levels of commitment and any Warlingham-led team would likely be Fleet Mustangs-like.

So it likely means another move, probably back to Bromley borough.  There's a serious lack of options in the area.  It is a bit of a kick in the teeth when you talk to RU teams and they say no Rugby League but then let somebody else play, as was the case with Bromley RFC and the Charlton Gunners, now Bromley Bengals.  In my view, the club couldn’t have gone back to the Entry League after winning Division 1.   "Our level" was broken up because nobody can commit to a season.  Besides, with the Premier itself in some turmoil, the decision was taken to expand and step up.   There have been internal issues to work against but these have been resolved.  It’s been the same thread running through the club’s entire existence though.  A lot of lies, a lot of broken promises, a lot of hard work not necessarily getting its rewards.  Considering the club has had to rebuild every single season, it's a tribute to what has been achieved given the club essentially has one hand tied behind its back and the credit probably has to go to the chairman.  However, in saying that, missteps have been made by everybody but it's a young club run by relatively young men.  I was the oldest member of the committee last year at 33 years old.

Another awful weekend for the London Prem League, according to the London RL website,  Bears (not sure if folded or not) were a no show at SW Chargers and Skolars a no show at West Warriors.  I hope the powers that be (whoever they might be) have some ideas on how to rectify this for next season.  On a personal note, I now don't go to watch games in the London Prem any more as I can never be sure if they will be on or not.  (As most teams websites are bl**dy awful and not updated - but that's another moan for another day.)

Another awful weekend for the London Prem League, according to the London RL website,  Bears (not sure if folded or not) were a no show at SW Chargers and Skolars a no show at West Warriors.  I hope the powers that be (whoever they might be) have some ideas on how to rectify this for next season.  On a personal note, I now don't go to watch games in the London Prem any more as I can never be sure if they will be on or not.  (As most teams websites are bl**dy awful and not updated - but that's another moan for another day.)

Was told a couple of weeks ago that the Bears had withdrawn from the league, just before they were due to play at Medway, hence we had to cancel the pitch booking. The Dragons arranged a friendly away at SW Chargers A instead. I think Skolars have struggled right from the start, but to their credit they did travel to Medway even with only 9 players.

Archived