Kingstone Press Championship: Featherstone 30 Dewsbury 32

thehullram

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ah so you know at least three Dewsbury fans Robin

:O  :biggrin:  :biggrin: :biggrin:  

Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads.

George Bernard Shaw.

You are of course entitled to disagree.

13:11 - a starter for ten...

Tackle busting run and quick play the ball that created a platform for us to win the game.

I can remember Max fletcher once making a break - if they'd invented video then, I'd put it on to prove what an outstanding player he was. ;)

Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads.

George Bernard Shaw.

I can remember Max fletcher once making a break - if they'd invented video then, I'd put it on to prove what an outstanding player he was. ;)

After almost a season with us

Tom can only remember 1 memorable thing

Thankfully it's been saved on video for future generations of dewsbury Rams to sit down and reminisce what a fantasic player he was and how much he contributed to dewsburys greatest team of under performers since year dot

Even in the terry crook days

We knew we were rubbish and expected as much...so we wasn't disappointed

This season the arsenal as been there

But the execution ain't ;)

So uncle tom tell us another fable of fantasy ;)

I did hear once we had a unicorn playing at centre ;)

Video footage anybody???? ;)

Luke Adamson.

Come on Tom.

Luke is having a good season but he doesn't fulfil any of the strengths I listed for Tommy. We needed someone similar to Tommy and like coolie I think that's what we have missed most this time around.

Wasn't Zack Johnson the replacement for Tommy ? I wonder would Tommy come back.

Homer: How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?

[

i]Mr. Burns: Woah, slow down there maestro. There's a *New* Mexico?[/i]

Wasn't Zack Johnson the replacement for Tommy ? I wonder would Tommy come back.

Tommy left for family reasons so is unlikely to reverse that change now. Thanks to injury his impact at Swinton hasn't been as great as it might have been and I think we have oped OK without him. Tommy's major attribute was on attack - this year, in recent games. it is defence which has been our weakness (no matter what Nick says).

Zach is a prop so I don't believe that he was recruited to replace Tommy, it's just that he came from Swinton that some might think so.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

[quote name="Blind side johnny" post="3151382" I think we have oped OK without him

so.

Hah hah. Would beg to differ BSJ. Recent performances would seem to back me up.

Jobe Murphy was average at best, but Tommy Gallagher was exciting to watch. Could slip a pass out from anywhere and liked the occasional (legal of course) shoulder charge or aggressive tackle shall we say, and it got people roaring and made you seem like you got your money's worth because you'd be talking about some of the things he did after the game. I miss him!

Fundamentally I firmly believe one of the main reasons for our success last season was our bench and we found players that made a sudden impact when brought on.

Farrell, Gallagher, Aizue and Haggerty.

Diverse in the things they brought. Farrell constant energy, Gallagher the unexpected, Aizue power and experience and Haggerty grit and determination and last season had that aggressive edge.

Haggerty for me this year has his head in St Helens and unfortunately for us his body in Kirkless. He's just not there with it, and Hepworth in particularly has been the better forward, when really on paper it should be one who had signed for the SL champions.

Money aside (other teams budgets) a team should want to build on last seasons effort, and I feel Morrison saying our goal was always to finish in the top six is a cop out for when he knew top four was slipping away and was becoming virtually impossible. I am one of his biggest fans as well and understand him defending his players in that sense.

But in all honesty we will finish 7th (lets not beat around the bush) and that is a failure. They say the league table doesn't lie and we will be put in the same bracket as the sides below us and that is disappointing when recruitment wise this year has been one of the strongest and financially for us we have spent a lot (can't use reserves as an excuse) end of the day regardless if it's a rugby club or a business, you spend money to improve. not finish in a dismal 7th.

Fundamentally I firmly believe one of the main reasons for our success last season was our bench and we found players that made a sudden impact when brought on.

Diverse in the things they brought. Farrell constant energy, Gallagher the unexpected, Aizue power and experience and Haggerty grit and determination and last season had that aggressive edge.

Good post MR.  Agree with all of it, but as you say Haggerty not quite on it this year, Tommy gone and Farrell only fit enough to play one game in three....(apparently).

I tend to agree on your season summary and points about finishing 7th but lets see what happens next two games before we start to think about our final summary. 

Whilst we have spent a lot more, the team's above us have spent more. Money talks but having said that, it's some of the recent performances which have been more disappointing. Just seems to be a lack of organisation, leadership and ideas. This is GMs first real challenge, so it will be interesting to see if he can turn it around and go into the bottom 8 with some form and chances of winning.

I think Marketran's summary of the season is a feeling a lot of us have and WR's comment about Morrison's challenge In turning our form around is also a good point. The turn around will not come on Sunday. I reckon Featherstone's three games in a week gives them momentum and Dewsbury, having a rest last week, will start like a car engine in winter weather - cold and slow.

Featherstone 42-16 Dewsbury

FTS: Thackeray

MoM: Luke Adamson

Att: 2346

Legs, Dews, Legs.

This and the London game are both very important to us. We carry our points through into the Championship Shield games and where we finish in that final eight determines our final position (i.e. we might finish 7th in the Championship but if we could improve that to 2nd after the "eights" we would be classified as 6th - is that clear?). That final position will determine the amount of central funding we get next year - 1st & 2nd get £200k, 3rd & 4th get £175 k. A £25k difference will affect our recruitment ability next year, so every point does really count.

I expect us to lose on Sunday, probably by 20 points, but would be more than happy to be surprised by a special performance, for once.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

After almost a season with us

Tom can only remember 1 memorable thing

Thankfully it's been saved on video for future generations of dewsbury Rams to sit down and reminisce what a fantasic player he was and how much he contributed to dewsburys greatest team of under performers since year dot

Coolie, if you are asking me if I have a scrapbook of newspaper clippings and a carefully edited video montage of Jobe's highlights then I'm afraid you'll be disappointed.

But the video I linked to exemplifies what I think he brought to the team.

He was an aggressive runner who broke tackles, a busy defender, he had a bit of needle about him and he played the ball quickly. He also had the technical ability of a player who'd played his junior rugby in a Super League environment.

Not all fans value the same qualities in players. If it was up to some supporters we'd have a team full of James Cravens and Tom Lillycrops - I just think there's more to the game than being brave and running above your weight.

Hope that's OK with all of you...

Tom

Whilst we have spent a lot more, the team's above us have spent more. Money talks but having said that, it's some of the recent performances which have been more disappointing. Just seems to be a lack of organisation, leadership and ideas. This is GMs first real challenge, so it will be interesting to see if he can turn it around and go into the bottom 8 with some form and chances of winning.

Fully understand what you mean about other clubs spending more as well, but in pre match interviews you often hear about coaches saying 'let's worry about ourselves.'

I think that as a team and recent performances would support that the team hasn't improved. I didn't go to London but the best I've seen us play this season is against Leigh and Bradford at home and we still lost (it's a results business)

Hopefully Rams can do what our opponents did midweek and pull of a shock win and go into these 8s with some confidence and some points because like BSJ said points carry over and letting 5th and 6th get away will mean we're constantly playing catch up.

Come on Tom.

Luke is having a good season but he doesn't fulfil any of the strengths I listed for Tommy. We needed someone similar to Tommy and like coolie I think that's what we have missed most this time around.

Tommy was a great player for us and hit great form during the closing stages of 2014. His off the cuff play created a lot for us and, as I said, we have missed him.

I don't think Luke Adamson plays to the same style, but I do think he is a far better all-round player.

Your initial query was whether or not we'd attempted to replace Tommy. Clearly we have, and with a player who's having a very good season.

Tom

Jobe Murphy was average at best, but Tommy Gallagher was exciting to watch. Could slip a pass out from anywhere and liked the occasional (legal of course) shoulder charge or aggressive tackle shall we say, and it got people roaring and made you seem like you got your money's worth because you'd be talking about some of the things he did after the game. I miss him!

Haggerty for me this year has his head in St Helens and unfortunately for us his body in Kirkless. He's just not there with it, and Hepworth in particularly has been the better forward, when really on paper it should be one who had signed for the SL champions.

Money aside (other teams budgets) a team should want to build on last seasons effort, and I feel Morrison saying our goal was always to finish in the top six is a cop out for when he knew top four was slipping away and was becoming virtually impossible. I am one of his biggest fans as well and understand him defending his players in that sense.

But in all honesty we will finish 7th (lets not beat around the bush) and that is a failure. They say the league table doesn't lie and we will be put in the same bracket as the sides below us and that is disappointing when recruitment wise this year has been one of the strongest and financially for us we have spent a lot (can't use reserves as an excuse) end of the day regardless if it's a rugby club or a business, you spend money to improve. not finish in a dismal 7th.

I did think we were a little weak on the bench last week against Halifax, and that made things difficult when we were looking for a way back in to the game.

I do think Toby and Nathan changed the momentum when they came on, though, and I wholeheartedly agree with you that the bench is crucial. That's why I prefer seeing Browny on there. His footwork close to the line is a nightmare for tiring defenders at the back end of a half.

Gallagher isn't here any more and Haggarty's form has dropped but I don't think you can really pin the blame for this on anything other than unfortunate personal circumstances and the natural distraction of an impending transfer.

I think Aizue's game time needs managing and whilst I think Farrell is an excellent young player, his habit of giving penalties away may have put him behind Rob Spicer, Toby Adamson and Scott Hale.

I am expecting more from Haggarty before the end of the season though, and I'm sure Glenn is too.

The teams around us have beaten each other, London started the year like Crown Flatter's proverbial car in winter and we've come within a whisker of beating Leigh and Bradford. The result of all that is that we have been in the top four picture for most of the season and, rightfully so, expectations have risen.

That the top four has even been a conversation for us is a measure of this club's progress, and that we're disappointed to have faded from the race during the last two weeks speaks volumes of our stature in this division.

6th place would be a fantastic achievement, and from Oliver's latest interview with Glenn it's clear that's that what he has his sights on, even if most fans appear resigned to 7th. That doesn't sound like a cop out to me.

He also wants to win the Championship Shield, and that doesn't sound like a cop out either.

I don't think 7th would be a failure, particularly with two Super League clubs having dropped down since 2014 and more or less four full-time teams in the division.

Objectively speaking (careful now!) I think 7th is about where we are as a club in terms of budget. Anybody with any information to suggest that this isn't the case?

6th would be great and anything better would have been a massive over-achievement. And it was exciting that we were in a position to hit that level for about 2/3s of the season.

Tom

No pin pointing the blame on anyone (even though I'd love to blame Jason Crookes for everything, even global warming) but finding a bench that works is important.

You mention Farrell and penalties but his energy and performance is a huge thing for us.

I wonder whether Aizue is with us next year, I think we need to move on and allow Jackson to be the main experienced guy in the pack. (I fear Jackson won't be hear next season either.)

Tom where would we be in the league in terms of budget if the money we spent on the reserves went into the first team? Just wondering, it's not a dig.

Tommy was a great player for us and hit great form during the closing stages of 2014. His off the cuff play created a lot for us and, as I said, we have missed him.

I don't think Luke Adamson plays to the same style, but I do think he is a far better all-round player.

Your initial query was whether or not we'd attempted to replace Tommy. Clearly we have, and with a player who's having a very good season.

I know its getting boring (sorry folks) but when i say did we replace Tommy I meant with a like minded / similar player.  Luke in no way fits this picture and I would repeat that I dont believe we made any attempt to replace Tommy with someone with similar skills and attributes.  Maybe it just wasnt possible?

This was (and is still) a mistake.  We have lost not only all the things he brought to the table that we have mentioned so far but more importantly his banter / leadership qualities that were always so evident.

I did think we were a little weak on the bench last week against Halifax, and that made things difficult when we were looking for a way back in to the game.

I do think Toby and Nathan changed the momentum when they came on, though, and I wholeheartedly agree with you that the bench is crucial. That's why I prefer seeing Browny on there. His footwork close to the line is a nightmare for tiring defenders at the back end of a half.

Gallagher isn't here any more and Haggarty's form has dropped but I don't think you can really pin the blame for this on anything other than unfortunate personal circumstances and the natural distraction of an impending transfer.

I think Aizue's game time needs managing and whilst I think Farrell is an excellent young player, his habit of giving penalties away may have put him behind Rob Spicer, Toby Adamson and Scott Hale.

I am expecting more from Haggarty before the end of the season though, and I'm sure Glenn is too.

The teams around us have beaten each other, London started the year like Crown Flatter's proverbial car in winter and we've come within a whisker of beating Leigh and Bradford. The result of all that is that we have been in the top four picture for most of the season and, rightfully so, expectations have risen.

That the top four has even been a conversation for us is a measure of this club's progress, and that we're disappointed to have faded from the race during the last two weeks speaks volumes of our stature in this division.

6th place would be a fantastic achievement, and from Oliver's latest interview with Glenn it's clear that's that what he has his sights on, even if most fans appear resigned to 7th. That doesn't sound like a cop out to me.

He also wants to win the Championship Shield, and that doesn't sound like a cop out either.

I don't think 7th would be a failure, particularly with two Super League clubs having dropped down since 2014 and more or less four full-time teams in the division.

Objectively speaking (careful now!) I think 7th is about where we are as a club in terms of budget. Anybody with any information to suggest that this isn't the case?

6th would be great and anything better would have been a massive over-achievement. And it was exciting that we were in a position to hit that level for about 2/3s of the season.

7th place airbag deployed

To cushion the crash of failure

A 7th place finish is a poor return on the quality that's been recruited

These players are what signed to do a job

Individually great signings,as a team very disappointing this season

No leader on the park,no fire,aggression

Nobody to give out a bol-locking when stood under the posts..no plan B and a progression of if it don't work,we'll keep doing it till it doesn't..and usually it never does

Yeah we've missed injured player..so has every other team..you've just to get on with it..adversity gels a team together

Teams aren't signed,teams are molded and shaped into a unit...a machine that moves together..we don't

If fans are happy with a 7th place finish they shouldn't be..I'm a little angry that my prediction has come true

I personally set a low bar this season so the coach had a chance to show his worth

I could have easily said I expect top 4 and will expect no less....but I didnt

So the 7th was only their as a marker of failure.....if honest I expected a 5th/6th place finish..that's where most fans expectations laid...

For me 7th can be dressed up with all the fancy garnish people like...7th is poor

Bold statement now...we are due a good result after the few near misses and poor performances

We're gonna win on Sunday at Featherstone... Because the time for stand up and be countered... Sunday depict's if we're lions or pussy cat also rans their just to make up the numbers..we lay down and die over the next 2 games..it will show how far we've actually travelled under morrison on the field

And on Sunday I don't expect to see the coach only move out of his seat when we're 18-0 down..fire & passion & heart

I know its getting boring (sorry folks) but when i say did we replace Tommy I meant with a like minded / similar player.  Luke in no way fits this picture and I would repeat that I dont believe we made any attempt to replace Tommy with someone with similar skills and attributes.  Maybe it just wasnt possible?

This was (and is still) a mistake.  We have lost not only all the things he brought to the table that we have mentioned so far but more importantly his banter / leadership qualities that were always so evident.

Yeah, I'd have liked us to have signed another Wally Lewis but there wasn't one around! Just who is/was this like-minded player Nick, because I don't know of one who was knocking around at the time. And do remember that it was just before the season was about to start that Tommy decided that he could no longer justify the time that he was spending away from home, so the club had very little time and few alternatives in terms of recruitment.

Look at our squad on paper and we should actually have done just a bit better than we have. There were only really two surprise results so far - Hunslet away and Workington at home - so we should be pulling off a surprise of our own soon or it might classify as an OK season, no more.

Sixth or above was the clearly stated objective/expectation at the start of the season based upon our (their) extra investment at that time. This should still be the case.

Yeah, I'd have liked us to have signed another Wally Lewis but there wasn't one around! Just who is/was this like-minded player Nick, because I don't know of one who was knocking around at the time. And do remember that it was just before the season was about to start that Tommy decided that he could no longer justify the time that he was spending away from home, so the club had very little time and few alternatives in terms of recruitment.

No idea who this like minded player is was BSJ but then coaching / managing a RL team isnt my job.

I can screen cervical smears pretty well and if someone from the senior staff here had left I would have a pretty good idea who I'd like to replace them with.

I fully accept it was late on when TG decided to go, but IMHO it was as early as the Hunslet match when we knew we needed to try and get a TG type player and despite the 34 signings / loanees since we havent managed it.  AND at the risk of boring you all even more the only player who comes close to picking up that role is rested every other week, which as you might have guessed is what causes me most frustration...

Well perhaps if he didn't let his 'enthusiasm' get the better of him and stop attempting offloads on the first or second tackle in the opposition 40m area when we are attacking and reckless tackles in the same area when we are defending to give away cheap yards, then he wouldn't be 'rested' quite so often.

I also rate him but not through rose-tinted spectacles. I am sure he can be a good player for us in the future but he does need to change this aspect of his game in my opinion. I also agree that he can change a game in a similar way to TG.

Archived