Kingstone Press Championship: Featherstone 30 Dewsbury 32

thehullram

Well perhaps if he didn't let his 'enthusiasm' get the better of him and stop attempting offloads on the first or second tackle in the opposition 40m area when we are attacking and reckless tackles in the same area when we are defending to give away cheap yards, then he wouldn't be 'rested' quite so often.

I also rate him but not through rose-tinted spectacles. I am sure he can be a good player for us in the future but he does need to change this aspect of his game in my opinion. I also agree that he can change a game in a similar way to TG.

Not sure we are talking about the same person here Wilsden Ram and as for offloads dont get me started.  If you watch the big boys in SL all the forwards know how to do this.  If you watch us closely you can see that with the exception of Mikale and Joel it very rarely happens ... That said if you watch the big boys there is nearly always someone ready to pick up the offload...I think we have largely forgotten the art of backing up, though given the rarity of an offload who can blame them?

Offloads are really the only way your half backs / centres can get a chance to run at a broken defence and this is what we have been missing of late...Hence the comments on Thacks that are larley misplaced...

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Best news for several weeks....Grady is anmed....

Farrell and Muranka as well. You should be well pleased Nick.

;)

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Farrell and Muranka as well. You should be well pleased Nick.

;)

We shall see.. two have to miss out remember....I wonder which two it might be..??

Answers (guesses) on a postcard please...

No pin pointing the blame on anyone (even though I'd love to blame Jason Crookes for everything, even global warming) but finding a bench that works is important.

You mention Farrell and penalties but his energy and performance is a huge thing for us.

I wonder whether Aizue is with us next year, I think we need to move on and allow Jackson to be the main experienced guy in the pack. (I fear Jackson won't be hear next season either.)

Tom where would we be in the league in terms of budget if the money we spent on the reserves went into the first team? Just wondering, it's not a dig.

I've no idea how much we've spent on our squad and I'm not sure how much the Reserves Championship side costs us in terms of paying the players either.

I'm glad we have two teams though.

Tom

7th place airbag deployed

To cushion the crash of failure

No airbags deployed, coolie, just a publicly stated ambition of finishing 6th and winning the Championship Shield.

7th wouldn't be a failure. At worst, it's a sideways step, and speaking objectively (there's that weird word again!) we'd actually be up on 2014 due to Doncaster's demise.

A 7th place finish is a poor return on the quality that's been recruited

On what basis have you reached that conclusion?

Do you know how much we've spent on our first team squad compared to Featherstone? Halifax? We've certainly spent less than the other four above us.

No leader on the park,no fire,aggression

Nobody to give out a bol-locking when stood under the posts..no plan B and a progression of if it don't work,we'll keep doing it till it doesn't..and usually it never does

I don't think we've suffered due to a lack of leadership or a flawed game plan.

Karl Pryce and Paul Jackson are great leaders in their respective positions with bags of experience, as is Brett Seymour in terms of organisation in attack. Prycey rarely shies away from handing out the proverbial b****cking - maybe you just need to listen harder?

I think when we have suffered this season it's been because our players have been too slow to turn attack in defence when we lose the ball or to scramble and recover from a quick tap, play the ball or scoot.

I think some members of our pack in particular have been caught napping in the middle of the park.

And we've given teams the platform to punish us by exploiting thin numbers out wide. We don't tend to concede as often around the posts.

In the games we have lost we have also knocked on the ball too often or generally not completed sets. This is not down to a lack of a Plan B.

The fact we have competed in every game bar one this season suggests that not many have 'found us out'.

Yeah we've missed injured player..so has every other team..you've just to get on with it..adversity gels a team together

Teams aren't signed,teams are molded and shaped into a unit...a machine that moves together..we don't.

How are we not a unit or a machine? Any examples to back this up? This is such an intangible point that it's almost impossible to respond to.

I've already pin-pointed specific reasons why I think we've lost certain matches or under-performer and I don't think it's anything to do with 'not being a unit'. We've either made too many errors or not been quick or good enough.

If fans are happy with a 7th place finish they shouldn't be

...and I thought telling people what to think was my job.

I personally set a low bar this season so the coach had a chance to show his worth

I could have easily said I expect top 4 and will expect no less....but I didnt

So the 7th was only their as a marker of failure.....if honest I expected a 5th/6th place finish..that's where most fans expectations laid...

For me 7th can be dressed up with all the fancy garnish people like...7th is poor

Which teams did you expect us to finish ahead of that we aren't already ahead of?

Bold statement now...we are due a good result after the few near misses and poor performances

We're gonna win on Sunday at Featherstone... Because the time for stand up and be countered... Sunday depict's if we're lions or pussy cat also rans their just to make up the numbers..we lay down and die over the next 2 games..it will show how far we've actually travelled under morrison on the field

And on Sunday I don't expect to see the coach only move out of his seat when we're 18-0 down..fire & passion & heart

Glad to hear you're expecting a win. You coming?

I don't think we've won at their place since 2009, but I predict a much better performance than the one we produced against Halifax.

And I'm going to get on board with your new-found optimism and also predict a win:

Featherstone 20 Dewsbury 24

Tom

Answer to your question about what teams did we think would finish above us that aren't already.

I thought we'd be above Halifax for one after we stuffed them in the play offs. Thought we'd get closer to Feath and I've always thought Sheffield weren't as good as many make out.

Thought London would struggle which they initially did but now all the teams that I have just mentioned are either in the top 4, or in form. And little old Dewsbury are left to blame budgets of other clubs to disguise the fact we have gone backwards on the previous season and our form isn't good to say the least. Cant use clubs budgets for Donny (just won) or Workington. We should be winning games like Fax at home if we have any ambition.

No idea who this like minded player is was BSJ but then coaching / managing a RL team isnt my job.

I can screen cervical smears pretty well and if someone from the senior staff here had left I would have a pretty good idea who I'd like to replace them with.

I fully accept it was late on when TG decided to go, but IMHO it was as early as the Hunslet match when we knew we needed to try and get a TG type player and despite the 34 signings / loanees since we havent managed it.  AND at the risk of boring you all even more the only player who comes close to picking up that role is rested every other week, which as you might have guessed is what causes me most frustration...

Cervical smears Nick - you must be a spreader of old wives tails. ;)

Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads.

George Bernard Shaw.

Tommy was a great player for us and hit great form during the closing stages of 2014. His off the cuff play created a lot for us and, as I said, we have missed him.

I don't think Luke Adamson plays to the same style, but I do think he is a far better all-round player.

Your initial query was whether or not we'd attempted to replace Tommy. Clearly we have, and with a player who's having a very good season.

Tom you're a splendid chap, and you do a Stirling job at the club, but sometimes your observations are a bit fanciful. TG was highly regarded by fans at most of the clubs he played for, both as a player and as a 'character', and has had that game changing ability wherever he has played. We haven't replaced him because he s a one off - irreplaceable, and Luke Adamson certainly hasn't filled his shoes - but then you couldn't expect him to. Luke is a good player, but no better or worse than any of our other back rowers IMO - if he left I doubt he would be badly missed. TG left, and he IS badly missed in both mine and the opinions of most other posters. You simply can't compare what the two players have brought to the team, and Luke was no more a replacement for Tommy than any of our other new signings - in fact I'd say the nearest comparison (if he could break a tackle and offload) is Seymour - who also has the potential to be a game changer. If Luke WAS the direct replacement for Tommy, then in football terms, we've replaced George Best with Emile Heskey.

Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads.

George Bernard Shaw.

No airbags deployed, coolie, just a publicly stated ambition of finishing 6th and winning the Championship Shield.

7th wouldn't be a failure. At worst, it's a sideways step, and speaking objectively (there's that weird word again!) we'd actually be up on 2014 due to Doncaster's demise.

On what basis have you reached that conclusion?

Do you know how much we've spent on our first team squad compared to Featherstone? Halifax? We've certainly spent less than the other four above us.

I don't think we've suffered due to a lack of leadership or a flawed game plan.

Karl Pryce and Paul Jackson are great leaders in their respective positions with bags of experience, as is Brett Seymour in terms of organisation in attack. Prycey rarely shies away from handing out the proverbial b****cking - maybe you just need to listen harder?

I think when we have suffered this season it's been because our players have been too slow to turn attack in defence when we lose the ball or to scramble and recover from a quick tap, play the ball or scoot.

I think some members of our pack in particular have been caught napping in the middle of the park.

And we've given teams the platform to punish us by exploiting thin numbers out wide. We don't tend to concede as often around the posts.

In the games we have lost we have also knocked on the ball too often or generally not completed sets. This is not down to a lack of a Plan B.

The fact we have competed in every game bar one this season suggests that not many have 'found us out'.

How are we not a unit or a machine? Any examples to back this up? This is such an intangible point that it's almost impossible to respond to.

I've already pin-pointed specific reasons why I think we've lost certain matches or under-performer and I don't think it's anything to do with 'not being a unit'. We've either made too many errors or not been quick or good enough.

...and I thought telling people what to think was my job.

Which teams did you expect us to finish ahead of that we aren't already ahead of?

Glad to hear you're expecting a win. You coming?

I don't think we've won at their place since 2009, but I predict a much better performance than the one we produced against Halifax.

And I'm going to get on board with your new-found optimism and also predict a win:

Featherstone 20 Dewsbury 24

Just my luck... Wrong order

So who ordered the burger with

Extra,extra,extra,extra garnish????

I can't swallow all that...I'll give me the runs

;)

Not going mate £18 can be better served

On some gas or electric or even filling the bike up for a day out...my next venture will be batley home I'm afraid

It's hard finding telephone boxes to rob nowadays ;)

Answer to your question about what teams did we think would finish above us that aren't already.

I thought we'd be above Halifax for one after we stuffed them in the play offs. Thought we'd get closer to Feath and I've always thought Sheffield weren't as good as many make out.

Thought London would struggle which they initially did but now all the teams that I have just mentioned are either in the top 4, or in form. And little old Dewsbury are left to blame budgets of other clubs to disguise the fact we have gone backwards on the previous season and our form isn't good to say the least. Cant use clubs budgets for Donny (just won) or Workington. We should be winning games like Fax at home if we have any ambition.

We were like a rudderless ship in those playoffs. Harrison could always recruit well it was just his coaching that left a lot to be desired. As such we had recruited well for this season and brought in a good young coach with the potential to be on a totally different level to Harrison. That said I wasnt surprised that so many people were tipping us to finish below 6th and it probably took a bit of pressure of us even if i never believed it would happen.

After seeing the squad for fev game it will be interesting who the wingers will be,he's dropped Crookes & Grant leaving only Morton as a recognised winger

Well spotted Graham - we seem to be remarkably short in the backs in general in that 19. Either Pryce plays on the wing or there might be some last-minute changes.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

I hadn't notice the omission of Grant either. Perhaps this maybe the line-up:

1 Fieldhouse

2 Morton

3 Pryce

4 Walshaw

5 Grady

6 Seymour

7 Thackeray

8 Hepworth

9 Wildie

10 Jackson

11 Adamson, T

12 Hale

13 Adamson, L

14 Smith

15 Brown

16 Conroy

17 Nash

18 Farrell

19 Muranka

Seems a bit heavy on forwards bearing in mind there is a bit of a slope to run up. Hope the weather forecast is correct then, not too hot.

Legs, Dews, Legs.

If we want to finish higher we need to spend more and DR with a SL team like Halifax have. At times a coach reaches his sell by date and that can affect performances, but money matters far more than the coach. Is John Kear the second worst coach in the league?

There was a study of Football Premiership and there is a 90% correlation between playing budget and finish position. the same study worked out that any manager of Manchester United would on average based on their playing budget have won a similar number of trophies to Alex Ferguson. Ferguson built such a strong following with fans that when times were tough he was unsackable.

Injuries have not helped as we have missed Nash, Johnson, Grady, Fieldhouse Hemingway for long periods and Haggerty seems to be waiting to play at Saints next season. That's nearly half our starting team.

Our finish position is about right for our squad and budget. My worry is how our form has dropped off so badly these last few weeks. It is not impossible that we could lose the rest of our matches this season.

I hadn't notice the omission of Grant either. Perhaps this maybe the line-up:

1 Fieldhouse

2 Morton

3 Pryce

4 Walshaw

5 Grady

6 Seymour

7 Thackeray

8 Hepworth

9 Wildie

10 Jackson

11 Adamson, T

12 Hale

13 Adamson, L

14 Smith

15 Brown

16 Conroy

17 Nash

18 Farrell

19 Muranka

Seems a bit heavy on forwards bearing in mind there is a bit of a slope to run up. Hope the weather forecast is correct then, not too hot.

Funny how we all seemed to have notice that Grant is not in the squad.The nineteen above looks like a good choice,but I would have Grady in the centre and put Pryce on the wing.

After seeing the squad for fev game it will be interesting who the wingers will be,he's dropped Crookes & Grant leaving only Morton as a recognised winger

So we've only one recognised winger in the squad to face Featherstone - seems a bit odd that.

I can understand why Morro has dropped Crookes but why drop Grant?

Some have suggested that we play either Grady or Pryce on the wing. I don't understand why Morro chooses to play players out of position.

It will be interesting to see how we perform against a well organised Featherstone.

Sorry can't see anything but a Featherstone win

Featherstone 38 - Rams 18

Funny how we all seemed to have notice that Grant is not in the squad.The nineteen above looks like a good choice,but I would have Grady in the centre and put Pryce on the wing.

Archived