Tony Smith

It can't be easy when your number two is such a popular and successful coach that the fans can't wait to see him replace you as head coach.

Or summat.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

It can't be easy when your number two is such a popular and successful coach that the fans can't wait to see him replace you as head coach.

Or summat.

Tony is apparently a mate of Sir Alex Ferguson and I suspect he has learned well from the master in appointing a second in command who offers no threat to his role.

"I'm a traditionalist and I don"t think you'd ever see me coaching an Australian national side!"  Lee Radford, RLW March 2016

Proud to be a member of the TRL woke claque

Or summat.

I was under the impression they'd bypass Lord Agar and go for Lee Briers to replace Tony Smith.

You can't lose a player of Briers quality one year and Monaghan the next without there being a huge drop in the quality of your team.

Warrington will know that and Smiths job won't be in question

3 Challenge Cups, LLS and two GFs- how can we call for Tony Smith's head? There's a major rebuild going on that's taking longer than the Wire faithful would like. Even with the stellar influence and skills of Briers and Monaghan we have also lost a massive amount of experience in Morley, Carvell, Hodgson, Higham, Wood, Waterhouse, Riley.

What we need is a leader on the pitch- Smith is quality and has proven it throughout his career and losing him would cause Wire more harm than good. Leadership, focus and direction are needed and these come from experience. We need a stable 6 /7 and someone with the nous to close the games out. It's happened too many times this season that leads have disappeared into thin air. Not something that has happened over the previous 4 seasons.

The two Leeds matches have proved that the skill is there in the Wire squad but it needs to be bolstered with the self belief and confidence that winning brings.

3 Challenge Cups, LLS and two GFs- how can we call for Tony Smith's head? 

This is why I asked the question after hearing sections of the Warrington support calling for Smith to go on Friday.

For someone who took you from perennial underachievers to grand final contenders (after the Paul Cullen years) to now facing the daunting reality of facing Leigh and Bradford in the Super 8s. 

​One thing he shouldn't be criticised on his ethos on promoting youth from within the junior Warrington ranks.

3 Challenge Cups, LLS and two GFs- how can we call for Tony Smith's head? There's a major rebuild going on that's taking longer than the Wire faithful would like. Even with the stellar influence and skills of Briers and Monaghan we have also lost a massive amount of experience in Morley, Carvell, Hodgson, Higham, Wood, Waterhouse, Riley.

What we need is a leader on the pitch- Smith is quality and has proven it throughout his career and losing him would cause Wire more harm than good. Leadership, focus and direction are needed and these come from experience. We need a stable 6 /7 and someone with the nous to close the games out. It's happened too many times this season that leads have disappeared into thin air. Not something that has happened over the previous 4 seasons.

The two Leeds matches have proved that the skill is there in the Wire squad but it needs to be bolstered with the self belief and confidence that winning brings.

I agree with much of this, and for me Smith is still well in credit, however he made the decision to move his backroom staff on at the end of last year 'to freshen things up' - so he obviously thinks that a change can sometimes do some good, maybe his own philosophies will come back to bite him!

With Tony Smith I think you need to buy into his philosophy and the cultures he creates, and tbh, sometimes that will lead to under-performance which is what we are seeing now, and saw at the 2008 WC for example, but overall I think he is right in what he does. I am still liking what I see at the club in terms of young lads, however I do think Smith has tactical and team selection issues, particularly around his halves and three-quarters.

The thing that appears to be lacking for me that is most disappointing is energy, we are lacklustre in many games, and that is hard for fans to stomach. I actually think the balance of the team is wrong, and hopefully Gidley plus more will help that next year.

I think you've got to give Smudge a bit of credit in all honesty. Yes he has had to let a lot of experienced players and staff go but he has concentrated his efforts on giving the youngsters a chance. Yes, these kids have got a lot to learn and a lot of growing to do but we need to understand that if these youngsters can persevere and grow in confidence through these tough times and the older heads can lead by example then the time will come when things click and, hopefully, Smudge will have proved the doubters wrong. A couple of lean years may well be worth tolerating if it means we have a settled, capable and cohesive team in the future. We only need to look at the likes of Currie and Laithwaite.

Smith is the best thing to have happened to Wire in decades and I truly believe he knows exactly what he's doing and so do his players.

That said, there are a few major under achievers who need showing the door. If they are not willing to show a bit of pride and commitment for 80 minutes a week then it's time to move on.

His last 3 overseas signings Asotasi,Simms and Gidley to come have been poor

Add to that Clarke being way off form has'nt helped

I take it you must've been back to the future to see Gidley playing poorly next year?

@ohcallicalli

You can't beat an owl!

It depends who is available to replace him. Sometimes people just go on too long, and a change can rejuvenate. That's not to say Smith can't or won't turn it round, but everyone runs out of ideas at some point. I thought that he put too little investment into young players in his early years, but that's an impression rather than a result of detailed analysis. I vaguely remember some startling stat about one of his winning/finalist sides having no players he had promoted from the youth teams. It takes time and there are more failures than successes - who remembers what happened to Sean Long or Kevin Brown when Wigan let them go - so more patience may be required yet.

That said, there's nothing that a Cooper Cronk couldn't solve overnight.

His last 3 overseas signings Asotasi,Simms and Gidley to come have been poor

Add to that Clarke being way off form has'nt helped

I actually think Simms gets a lot of unfair stick. I certainly wouldn't describe him as poor.

I actually think Simms gets a lot of unfair stick. I certainly wouldn't describe him as poor.

Agreed....whenever I've seen him play he's been a fairly reliable work-horse, he hasn't set the world alight but he's a prop and he does what props do - making hard metres up field often dragging 3 defenders along with him 

Just in case you missed my earlier reference. .

Warrington have reportedly signed Kyle Eastmond

First time i have heard that one. I would be happy with a signing of that calibre though.

Channel 7 in Aus are reporting that Chris Sandow has a contract offer from Warrington on the table.

Not been on for a while,good job as wire have been losing.

However, I've been reading all sorts recently, on here, Facebook and forums.

I posted this on a warrington forum due to so many fans bickering.

I get all the passion and mixed emotions..... We've had it great for 5 or 6 years.. Please never forget that, 3 Wembley visits, LLS and 2 GF's who'd have thought in their wildest dreams ( remember we've been wannabes or ###### for years) and now we have an issue we haven't replaced experience players... So who's to blame??? Salary Cap, youngsters not being good enough, smith, agar or the players with the experience of big match games helping grow others.

Salary Cap tests all clubs, we've never broken the rules unlike the cheats of saints, pies, hull & bulls.... The salary cap isn't the issue in my opinion.

Youngsters not being good enough --- again in my honest opinion this has been a real issue for us.... We've not had a high calibre kid since scully or Harris and that's nearly 20 years ago, yes we've had a few decent ones, however the fact is we don't seem to get these wonder kids.... We missed Kullam Watkins from right under our nose.... We seem to do something wrong with our kids...... I'm excited about the new ones, king and philbin bros... Currie is a wonderful prospect, however do they really create enough vibe... Will they be internationals?? Yes I do think currie and Toby king will be, but who else??

Smith - great man manager, really nice person, wants the best for all of his staff on and off the pitch.... He's made a few mistakes, however in my opinion too many of his back room staff have left and it's a rebuilding process again. We are missing consistency, but I'll tell you this smith will be hurting more than the players, he's so passionate about warrington and results.

Agar - easy to put the recent demise of our great club on him, agar is a good person, well respect at warrington and take it from me he ain't the issue at warrington

Experience players - so who really leads by example??? Joel is our captain and for me this is wrong, he ain't a leader and he's got this due to being the most experience player in the squad.... Fundamentality this is our issue, none of the experience are leaders, none of them direct play, lead others or organise plays or positions.

So what really is wrong???

Simple really it's a combination of all the above, however the main issue is around pivotal players. Positions 1,6,7,9 & 13

Ratchford is a 1,6 or 7 - he's a luxury player.... Needs to dictate play

Patton - good player not ready for super league

Myler - is off to Catalan and never improved significantly enough hence why he's a goner

G o'B - great lad, local lad, just missing pace and an all round kicking game

Bridge - ain't a stand off end of.

Clarke - not settle and always has strapping on his knee since being a wire

Dwyer - just not good enough, something lacking

Grix - our only true ball playing forward and he's always injured, love the lad, great player, team player and great hands

So I'm not pulling the team or players apart, however what is apparent

We've not replaced key positions

Brett Hodgson, Briers, moanas key players who have intelligence and understand plays ahead of the game, they control the pace of the game, the position of players and ultimately knew how to win games or unlock defences

Then you add the power and size of mozza, Waterhouse, Anderson & carvell we've lost the fear factor....... I'm sorry but sims and Roy don't deliver the fear factor or that magic metres required to get a quick play the ball...... And that leads to me to our real issue...... Have our players got the hunger to win...... My honest opinion is no as we don't get up / clear the ruck quick enough for us to frighten defences like we used to do. That's why we've fallen behind..... Passion, drive, determination and more importantly the ability to boss games has all gone

Thanks for reading, some will agree others will think ######, however it's my opinion and built on 34 years of being a wire

I have so much respect for Tony Smith 2004 I really saw what a good coach was the way he managed games ect .He is such a principled man he will know when it's time to go .Dont forget what a good job he did at Huddersfield too.Darryl Powell at Cas is now a great coach too

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

Smith has a core of players who are giving it their all week in week out and contrary to what many people think I genuinely believe Ashton Sims is one of those.

Smith has a core of players who are giving it their all week in week out and contrary to what many people think I genuinely believe Ashton Sims is one of those.

He does work hard, however not busting enough tackles and slow at getting up..... Next year he'll rip up trees. 12 months more experience in our game.

Archived