Tony Smith

He does work hard, however not busting enough tackles and slow at getting up..... Next year he'll rip up trees. 12 months more experience in our game.

Agreed and agree with your sentiments in your prior post which, if I may say, made for excellent reading.

It might not be quite clicking for Sims but it is not through lack of endeavour. Having watched his performances at the Cowboys last year, which were good enough to keep Tamau on the bench, I predict he will be a Wire legend.

Keep the faith.

It's a bit like the "Wane under pressure" debate this one I think. A coach who has won quite a bit having a team who haven't been up to the standard of previous years for whatever reason being questioned. For me, if a coach is capable of winning trophies, even of the team finishes bottom of the pile, they can still turn it around and make improvements potentially the season after.

In wire's case this season, they haven't looked anywhere the team they were, but have some very bright spots, in particular the performances of the youngsters. I wouldn't be too worried about Smith's ability as a coach, as he is showing what he can do with the way he has managed the youngsters and if they stick together they have the potential to be a top side again.

I'm not a Warrington fan but my son is so I do see them from time to time.  A few years ago I seem to remember there were question marks over Matt King and Michael Monaghan to some extent but Tony Smith showed a good bit of patience and the both came good.  Patience can be a virtue in many situations.

Is he still showing a lot of patience with some more recent signings? and is that the right thing?  Perhaps Warrington are expecting the same turnaround in form for players, but there's no gaurantee that's going to happen.

The BBC clip of Sims yesterday demonstrated the value of Sims as an on-field motivator, in addition to the metres and tackles he makes. I was at the Leigh game and Sims stood out together with Hill and Westwood for their workrate and the battering they gave the Leigh players. Still happy with Smith as coach despite the indifferent form. It takes time to successfully rebuild a side, and Warrington have lost an awful lot of experience in recent years. Just because Shaun Wane managed to win a double at the same time as bringing youngsters through, does not mean that every other coach is going to have similar success.

www.twitter.com/flyingking2

I wonder if Smith will make Sims captain next year. He seems like a very natural leader and happy to be in that role, and it'll leave Joel Monaghan (should he still be at Wire) free to think about his own game.

@ohcallicalli

You can't beat an owl!

Interesting the Beeb reporting player unrest at Wire and some players not happy. Will be interesting to see how it pans out.

Did they?

I thought they reported on a clear the air meeting after a disappointing season and on the back of some poor results and performances. Unless I missed it, I didn't hear anything about player unrest.

Did they?

I thought they reported on a clear the air meeting after a disappointing season and on the back of some poor results and performances. Unless I missed it, I didn't hear anything about player unrest.

Heard it on Radio 5 live just before start of yesterday's game, George Riley and someone else talking about players being unhappy and more stuff to come out.

I suspect Tony Smith thought he may have got a call from one of the big NRL Clubs over the years but nothing solid ever happened.

His results with the England team would not have done him any favours in that regard.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

I suspect Tony Smith thought he may have got a call from one of the big NRL Clubs over the years but nothing solid ever happened.

His results with the England team would not have done him any favours in that regard.

Whilst the 2008 WC was disappointing (speaking as somebody who flew over there to support the team) - where the results massively different to what we have seen before and after? We usually lose to the Kiwis and Aussies over there, and that is what happened that tournament. That is not to say some of his selections were not poor though, it is always an area I feel he plays around too much.

Looking at his international record though for GB/England:

v France - Played 4 won 4

v PNG - Played 1 won 1

v New Zealand - Played 6 won 4

v Australia - Played 3 won 0

Not horrendous really.

Whilst the 2008 WC was disappointing (speaking as somebody who flew over there to support the team) - where the results massively different to what we have seen before and after? We usually lose to the Kiwis and Aussies over there, and that is what happened that tournament. That is not to say some of his selections were not poor though, it is always an area I feel he plays around too much.

Looking at his international record though for GB/England:

v France - Played 4 won 4

v PNG - Played 1 won 1

v New Zealand - Played 6 won 4

v Australia - Played 3 won 0

Not horrendous really.

That may be right Dave,

France and PNG should be training runs in reality.

He won 4 from 9 against our equals.

I was thinking about the 2008 World Cup fiasco.

We only just got past PNG if memory serves me right with some good calls from the Ref. 

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2008/oct/26/rugbyleagueworldcup2008-englandrugbyleagueteam

Against what should be our equals we won zero

England v PNG  32-22

England v Australia 4-52

England v NZ 24-36

England  v NZ 22-32

The talk after that World Cup about players with Club loyalties did him no favours either.

A good man manager sorts that out either through the selection process or breaking down Club factions during a significant event like a World Cup.

Although there have been rumours of unrest the Australians seem to break down the fierce SOO rivalries for most Test games they compete in.

That may be right Dave,

France and PNG should be training runs in reality.

He won 4 from 9 against our equals.

I was thinking about the 2008 World Cup fiasco.

We only just got past PNG if memory serves me right with some good calls from the Ref. 

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2008/oct/26/rugbyleagueworldcup2008-englandrugbyleagueteam

Against what should be our equals we won zero

England v PNG  32-22

England v Australia 4-52

England v NZ 24-36

England  v NZ 22-32

The talk after that World Cup about players with Club loyalties did him no favours either.

A good man manager sorts that out either through the selection process or breaking down Club factions during a significant event like a World Cup.

Although there have been rumours of unrest the Australians seem to break down the fierce SOO rivalries for most Test games they compete in.

I don't disagree with much of that, but let's not kid ourselves that Australia and NZ were our equals (down under). I think there was a lot of optimism around the fact that we had beaten the Aussies in Sydney in 2006 and whitewashed the Kiwis in 2008 - but in reality, beating those teams over there was always going to be a challenge (although the pathetic showing against the Aussies in Melbourne was particularly galling).

An opener against PNG will always be tough, we have struggled with those kind of games before, and have even lost tour games in the past.

We have beaten the Aussies in Oz in 2006, 1992, 1988, 1974.

I don't disagree with much of that, but let's not kid ourselves that Australia and NZ were our equals (down under). I think there was a lot of optimism around the fact that we had beaten the Aussies in Sydney in 2006 and whitewashed the Kiwis in 2008 - but in reality, beating those teams over there was always going to be a challenge (although the pathetic showing against the Aussies in Melbourne was particularly galling).

An opener against PNG will always be tough, we have struggled with those kind of games before, and have even lost tour games in the past.

We have beaten the Aussies in Oz in 2006, 1992, 1988, 1974.

I agree Dave.

We lost against Italy in a warm for the last World Cup.

Heard it on Radio 5 live just before start of yesterday's game, George Riley and someone else talking about players being unhappy and more stuff to come out.

I should hope some players are unhappy....with their on field performances. If Smith were to go, it would be a terrible move and it would set the club back years.....maybe even divisions.

Smith has done a great job for Wire, but.....

Everyone has their time and maybe his is up. He had a great team a few years ago with the likes of briers, Morley, hogeson, monas, king. I think it reached it's peak in 2011 IMO!

These days that team has gone. The team is never settled n the kicking part of our game is a shambles now we don't have briers marshalling the team around. Smith almost seems a bit clueless in how to change things and maybe his methods are a bit dated & teams know how to play against a free flowing wire team now!!

I like smith and appreciate all he has done and I'm unsure if he should go or not but ultimately we are not the great side we were a few years ago. Nor are Wigan tho and it wasn't long ago we were the best 2 sides by far. Every dog has their day I guess

Wtid

Smith has done a great job for Wire, but.....

Everyone has their time and maybe his is up. He had a great team a few years ago with the likes of briers, Morley, hogeson, monas, king. I think it reached it's peak in 2011 IMO!

These days that team has gone. The team is never settled n the kicking part of our game is a shambles now we don't have briers marshalling the team around. Smith almost seems a bit clueless in how to change things and maybe his methods are a bit dated & teams know how to play against a free flowing wire team now!!

I like smith and appreciate all he has done and I'm unsure if he should go or not but ultimately we are not the great side we were a few years ago. Nor are Wigan tho and it wasn't long ago we were the best 2 sides by far. Every dog has their day I guess

Wtid

Well they hammered Leeds at Headingley not so many weeks ago, they looked very impressive that day.  They seem inconsistent for sure, but what made the difference that day.  I know Leeds are quite poor imho this season over a full 80 mins - they seem to have purple patches for 25 mins or so which often wins the game because the opposition are even poorer.  Never-the-less they where so much better than Leeds that day.

I think the lack of settled team is a key factor. The style we play doesnt lend itself that well to a young lad just slotting in, and when the likes of O Brien has to step in we do look far more pedestrian and predictable.

I dont think we are a million miles off, but lack some spark which this style of team needs.

Archived