Playing budgets

Wakefield Ram

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One which Tom might know.

Bradford, Leigh, Sheffield and London have bigger playing budgets.

Assume Fev pay more than us and guessing Halifax do as well?

So do we have 7th biggest player budget in line with our league position?

I'd guess:

1= Leigh (FT)

1= Bradford (FT)

3 London (FT)

4 Sheffield (partially FT)

5 Featherstone

6 Halifax

7 Dewsbury

8 Doncaster (DR)

9 Workington (DR)

10 Whitehaven (DR)

11 Batley

12 Hunslet (DR)

...but of course nobody knows for sure.

I know other sides have flirted with dual-registration, but the four highlighted are the only ones that consistently rely on it.

Tom

So are hull still using hull for players

Or as that stopped with Cooke going??

Hope hull have a week off when donny play batley ;)

Do you mean Doncaster?

Yes, they still have a dual-reg agreement with Hull FC and frequently use their players.

Tom

Yeah sorry

Yeah Doncaster

Looking at the league they can't have been helping them much

If you go onto the Workington forum there is regular talk of "which Wigan players will we have available" and almost an acceptance that they are required if the team is to compete.

I think the scenario is similar at Hunslet, and to a lesser extent at Whitehaven and Doncaster.

But the argument those clubs will make is that it's the only means they have to compete due to the imbalance of budgets.

Tom

I'd guess:

1= Leigh (FT)

1= Bradford (FT)

3 London (FT)

4 Sheffield (partially FT)

5 Featherstone

6 Halifax

7 Dewsbury

8 Doncaster (DR)

9 Workington (DR)

10 Whitehaven (DR)

11 Batley

12 Hunslet (DR)

...but of course nobody knows for sure.

I know other sides have flirted with dual-registration, but the four highlighted are the only ones that consistently rely on it.

All of those teams above us in this table receive more than we do from RFL disbursements whilst those below receive less, so this makes a lot of sense. Where they (i.e the shareholders) have pushed the boat out this year is in recruiting and running a second team. I'm not sure how much this will cost but I would guess that it is more than £20K so was a real act of faith.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

So with that

Would d/r be better served only in championship 1

Then the championship would be more balanced with teams having to rely on their squads and could then only be bolstered by loan players (month minimum)?

If you go onto the Workington forum there is regular talk of "which Wigan players will we have available" and almost an acceptance that they are required if the team is to compete.

I think the scenario is similar at Hunslet, and to a lesser extent at Whitehaven and Doncaster.

But the argument those clubs will make is that it's the only means they have to compete due to the imbalance of budgets.

Halifax are DR as well Tom.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Halifax are DR as well Tom.

I know, but as I said, have only highlighted the teams that have relied on it. There's a huge difference between how Halifax utilise the system and how Workington and Hunslet do.

I don't think it's fair to group them together.

Coolie, have replied to your post about Halifax in the Halifax thread.

Tom

I heard from a director and player that Dewsbury have spent more than Fax and given the sizes of the squads I wouldnt think that were totally unbelievable. I wouldnt expect there to be too much differnce though given Halifax's core squad is probably on more than dewsbury's so swings and roundabouts.

We've invested a significant amount in a Reserves team, so if that's factored in then I'm sure we'll have spent more than Halifax.

However, if you were to compare the value of all 12 clubs' top 25 players then I'd expect we're a bit behind Fev and Fax, and probably not that much in front of Doncaster.

Tom

We've invested a significant amount in a Reserves team, so if that's factored in then I'm sure we'll have spent more than Halifax.

However, if you were to compare the value of all 12 clubs' top 25 players then I'd expect we're a bit behind Fev and Fax, and probably not that much in front of Doncaster.

Yeah probably not far wrong. I wouldnt be surprised either if Fev have spent more than Sheffield given their playing roster, maybe even more than london. I just cant see how finishing outside the top 4 this season is anything but a disaster for them.

Yeah probably not far wrong. I wouldnt be surprised either if Fev have spent more than Sheffield given their playing roster, maybe even more than london. I just cant see how finishing outside the top 4 this season is anything but a disaster for them.

Micawber principles will apply - if they can afford it then it won't be a disaster, if they can't then it will be.

Not sure how much Batley are playing off but Paul Harrison said they would need £300k a season to match Feath.

Workington aren't short of a bob or two but apparently the three at the top are as tight as a nun's @rse.

For me d/r doesn't work and the coaches sending these players from SL clubs control everything. Eg position they play, how long they get etc.

Saying that I know a club down the road that could of murdered d/r this season

Look marketram , if batley need £300k to match fev , How can they do this ?

Question is they can't. 

it's OK for Dews as they have a lot of money from a land sale, so I hear, well that's good if your Dewsbury Rams.

Poor old Batley don't have that option.

Duel / Reg would work for you, if you had the advantage of sharing with Leeds and not say Wakefield as you get class players for nowt, and your wrong again as we pick our own team and its not Leeds , might be better if Leeds did pick our team sometimes to be honest.

So i would play the entire Leeds team on the final game to stop up and not be in that Mickey Mouse

league that you rightly mentioned, even if some of our supporters disagree , and they do.

Ramone - first of all I'm not wrong. When Ryan Hampshire is sent up to Workington Shaun Wane says he must play full back, regardless of how well Jack Murphy is playing, because like yourselfs, they rely so much on d/r they have to agree. Not saying that happens at every club, but it makes you wonder.

And as for Mickey Mouse league, in my opinion, it it exactly that.

Would rather be losing to Bradford by a few points than creaming some of these teams like Hemel, Coventry etc who could be beaten by some of the top amateur sides across the country.

The RFL are using that league as a base to grow new clubs into the pro game, and if any club with tradition and aspirations to succeed would be satisfied in being in that guinea pig process then fair enough.

AND I was simply making a point that the Batley chairman said they needed £300k just to compete with Feath. Didn't say where they were going to get it from, I think if Dewsbury wanted to go full time we would need a similar amount per season to maintain that standard.

Ramone's got a good point there Market. It's disrespectful to refer to Championship 1 as a 'Mickey Mouse League'.

it is disrespectful calling it mickey mouse league or does going season unbeaten 2009 mean nowt cos it was done in mickey mouse league

Not sure how much Batley are playing off but Paul Harrison said they would need £300k a season to match Feath.

Workington aren't short of a bob or two but apparently the three at the top are as tight as a nun's ######.

For me d/r doesn't work and the coaches sending these players from SL clubs control everything. Eg position they play, how long they get etc.

Saying that I know a club down the road that could of murdered d/r this season

And I'm on the band wagon with this RFL distribution saga. What a joke that is.

The middle ground clubs like ourselves, Batley some others that have been mentioned are literally been told find the money or find yourself travelling to Coventry and play in the Mickey Mouse league.

Just when I thought Dewsbury was on the up .....

It's called realpolitik Marketram. How could you change it?

it is disrespectful calling it mickey mouse league or does going season unbeaten 2009 mean nowt cos it was done in mickey mouse league

in 2009, London Skolars were the only side incapable of challenging the 'heartland' teams, whereas in 2015 none of the teams from positions 9th to 14th will pick up much from matches against the teams in the top eight.

I don't think the NL2 of 2009 is comparable to the League 1 of today.

As Market Ram says, the competition is being utilised by the RFL to develop new clubs and I think that's a great idea, so perhaps 'Mickey Mouse League' is a bit harsh.

Tom

Tom you wouldn't want to be in it would you? Like you say 09 was far more competitive than that league is today. Doesn't particularly get the heart pumping when someone says 'We've got Coventy on Sunday' or 'We've drawn Oxford in the Pro cup.' I actually laughed writing them out.

And this whole subject was on budgets and if like someone said the richer get richer and the poor (aka not full time) are left to battle for pro cups and shields, I feel we could see us playing amongst some of these 'new' sides in the near future. Hopefully I'm wrong because I can't see the Rams, Batley etc going full time anytime soon.

Also BSJ, realpolitik sounds good, cleaner than some of the names I've heard it being called in the terraces.

Archived