fev yesterday

hunsok3

Well we pressed the self distruct button again,a fantastic 2nd half performance,a woeful 1st half performance...we had them rocking in the first 15 minutes of that 2nd half,then everybody switched off for a couple of seconds,and gave fev a comedy try,which gave them the lift they needed,and ultimately the victory...backhouse and jimmy Watson,were awesome all day.

Odd game. Tackling bags in both camps will be getting some hammer in this week's training sessions! Over the last three games we have shown all the elements and skills required to win against three teams pushing for the top four. Pity then, that we haven't been able to display them altogether in the same match!!

This followed a completely different path to all recent games, our usual decent first 30 minutes was nowhere to be seen, replaced instead by a very good second half - just a pity we could never get back to within one score of them. Key score unfortunately, the try direct conceded from the tap at a time we were all over them (Note to officials: a tap restart takes place in the CENTRE of the 20m line!!)

Watson was everywhere in both defence and attack, the half-backs looked sharp ands dangerous and the hooking substitutions involving Flanagan and Lee worked like a dream, think we missed Mackay's defensive work though, especially in that opening period. And yes a word for Backhouse who is quickly making one of the second row slots his own.

Stick at it lads, another win is surely not too far away ...  

Hunslet were far superior in that second half. Fevs defence especially near the line was woeful. We (Fev ) missed a couple of glaring chances in first half. Then the comedy decision when Hunslet knocked on from a kick with no Fev player in sight and a penalty given for stripping as he jumped.What was that all about? Anyhow well done Hunslet you deserved more from the result.

The penalty was for being with 10 meters, no idea if the chasing where within the 10 but all were offside since the kick was a long way behind the attacking line.

Still trying to work out the tap 20 try, is hewer too soft to admit when he's made a mistake & just allow play to continue rather than man up and tell fev to go tap the ball properly

The try was confusing. Having seen the replay I am not sure if the referee is actually waving play on from the knock on and the Rovers player assuming the ball is dead is trying to get to the 22 metres line to tap it.At the moment he is trying to get to the tap spot he is being interfered with by a defender. The ref is seen wiping the tackle count out then of course lets the play continue. It was bizarre and gave my team a lift against the run of play.

I get the impression that we would be better off without officials. When rugby first started, and there was a difference of opinion, the two captains decided what was correct. If we had that nowadays, I don't think we would concede so many disputed penalties. 

It is far better to remain silent and be thought a fool

than to open your mouth and prove that you are.

At the start Featherstone were scoring @ 1 point per minute and I thought this could be a cricket score defeat for us. However the lads rallied and at half time the score of 24 - 12 to Fev was a real recovery. The second half was a real transformation. Having been comprehensively out played in the 1st Half, Hunslet turned the tables and were much the better team in the second half. Jimmy Watson for me again was the man of the match for Hunslet. Although Jack Lee had his best game of the season so far, not only with his two trys, but also his long passing. Ryan Backhouse and Kyle Trout also put in some hard yards and smart plays. Two key deciding moments? Fev not taking the tap restart from the middle. Yes it look like their runner was impeded, but surely that is a penalty not play on advantage? However clearly Hunslet needed to tackle the guy not stand and appeal to the Ref. Need to play what you see and ask questions later. Hunslet trying to hard with an off load in their own 22 which then gave rise to another Fev Try. In the close games against top 7 clubs conceding field position has proved crucial. Hunslet defence is good provided that we don't let our opponents start from our 40 yard line as these clubs generally have forwards that are much bigger than ours. What next in the season? Bradford & Leigh so could not be harder. However the crucial games are Doncaster, Batley and Workington. In my survive we really need to be 3rd from Bottom @ least, before we go into the 8 mini league that will finally decide who stays up and who is relegated. I would lie us to stay up as the games at this level are so much technically better even when we are on the wrong side of the scoreline. However relegation would not be a disaster. I've supported Hunslet through much darker days over the years

At the start Featherstone were scoring @ 1 point per minute and I thought this could be a cricket score defeat for us. However the lads rallied and at half time the score of 24 - 12 to Fev was a real recovery. The second half was a real transformation. Having been comprehensively out played in the 1st Half, Hunslet turned the tables and were much the better team in the second half. Jimmy Watson for me again was the man of the match for Hunslet. Although Jack Lee had his best game of the season so far, not only with his two trys, but also his long passing. Ryan Backhouse and Kyle Trout also put in some hard yards and smart plays. Two key deciding moments? Fev not taking the tap restart from the middle. Yes it look like their runner was impeded, but surely that is a penalty not play on advantage? However clearly Hunslet needed to tackle the guy not stand and appeal to the Ref. Need to play what you see and ask questions later. Hunslet trying to hard with an off load in their own 22 which then gave rise to another Fev Try. In the close games against top 7 clubs conceding field position has proved crucial. Hunslet defence is good provided that we don't let our opponents start from our 40 yard line as these clubs generally have forwards that are much bigger than ours. What next in the season? Bradford & Leigh so could not be harder. However the crucial games are Doncaster, Batley and Workington. In my survive we really need to be 3rd from Bottom @ least, before we go into the 8 mini league that will finally decide who stays up and who is relegated. I would lie us to stay up as the games at this level are so much technically better even when we are on the wrong side of the scoreline. However relegation would not be a disaster. I've supported Hunslet through much darker days over the years

Just picking up on your last point Miner, I believe that if we finish 3rd from bottom we are safe.  Bottom 2 are relegated.  The mini-league is for a play-off shield.

Just picking up on your last point Miner, I believe that if we finish 3rd from bottom we are safe.  Bottom 2 are relegated.  The mini-league is for a play-off shield.

When it splits into 3 leagues of 8, relegation is determined by the bottom two clubs at the end of league of 8. All points from the regular season are carried over to the league of 8, so its vital to get as far in front of the bottom two as possible. The plus side is, that after the split you will be playing all the bottom sides, so destiny is in hunslets own hands.

When it splits into 3 leagues of 8, relegation is determined by the bottom two clubs at the end of league of 8. All points from the regular season are carried over to the league of 8, so its vital to get as far in front of the bottom two as possible. The plus side is, that after the split you will be playing all the bottom sides, so destiny is in hunslets own hands.

Just when I thought I understood it!!

The RFL like to keep us on our toes.

It's also worth bearing in mind that when the eights come around, the teams in positions 5-8 get the extra home game in the seven game series (4 home and 3 away), whereas the bottom four get 3 at home and 4 away. I also believe there's a bit of extra money for coming in eighth so it's definitely something we should be aiming for.

Having said that I think if you can finish six, maybe even only four, points clear of 11th at the end of the regular season you should be OK. It's a lot of points to make up in just seven games for a team that's just finished last but one.

Meanwhile, I see our opponents that laboured to victory over us last Sunday gave our opponents next Sunday a bit of a good hiding last night, and at Odsal too. So we'll be playing a team that's just done much worse in the corresponding fixture than us, playing their third game in eight days, including one in energy sapping conditions four days before, and who'll be without their star player.

Full time or not, there''ll never be a better time to play them.

Considering the 8 league at end of season, Doncaster are 8 points behind Batley with just 4 games so it is very likely that they will be ranked 8th. The fight for places is between Whitehaven, us, Workington & Batley to get as high up the table as possible. Really important to do it as the main season league points carry over. Clearly ranked 4th is best as have 4 home games and 3 away games. Rank 5th gets home game with 2nd 6th & 7th. Rank 6th gets home games with 3rd, 7th & 8th. Ranked 7 gets home game with 1st 4th & 8th.

It's also worth bearing in mind that when the eights come around, the teams in positions 5-8 get the extra home game in the seven game series (4 home and 3 away), whereas the bottom four get 3 at home and 4 away. I also believe there's a bit of extra money for coming in eighth so it's definitely something we should be aiming for.

Having said that I think if you can finish six, maybe even only four, points clear of 11th at the end of the regular season you should be OK. It's a lot of points to make up in just seven games for a team that's just finished last but one.

Meanwhile, I see our opponents that laboured to victory over us last Sunday gave our opponents next Sunday a bit of a good hiding last night, and at Odsal too. So we'll be playing a team that's just done much worse in the corresponding fixture than us, playing their third game in eight days, including one in energy sapping conditions four days before, and who'll be without their star player.

Full time or not, there''ll never be a better time to play them.

Think it would have been a good time to play them if Bradford would have won on Wednesday night. 

They got beat , and easy at that, so we will get the backlash from that game , playing against a fired up Bulls.

Archived