Alex Walmsley replies to your Questions!

• 4 weeks later...

In the next issue of Rugby League World, out Friday 31st July, one of our regular columnists, St Helens star Alex Walmsley has agreed to be subjected to a Supporters Q & A, and now's your chance to post your questions to Alex right here on the TRL Forum.

Fire away below!

You can read Alex's answers to your questions in the latest issue of Rugby League World, in shops & online now. More details at www.totalrl.com/shop

We couldn't fit them all in the mag, so I'll post up the answers to the ones we left out on here over the next few days.

In the meantime, make sure you get this. It's pretty darn good y'know!

rlw_aug2015_large.png

Will you retire at batley

'Shaw cross juniors, Birkenshaw, Mirfield, Heckmondwike Panthers, Stainland Stags and then the Heavy woolen donkeys... WARDY, STOZZA, GT, KARL OR KEAR MUST OF DROPPED A DIGIT FROM MY MOBILE NUMBER! :clapping:

Will you, or any of the St Helens boys, be watching the RWC later this year?

Alex replies: I’m sure there will be some interest in it amongst the players, with Sam Burgess possibly playing in it for England. It’s always interesting to see how Rugby League players get on when they cross codes.

The World Club Challenge against the Rabittohs was a tough night for Saints. What were the key things that you took away from that game to improve both yourself and the team?

Alex replies: A lot of things happened that night that were uncharacteristic for our team and we learned a lot about ourselves. We were up for it and there was no lack of effort from anyone who played but unfortunately the Rabbitohs took us apart. Some people say the WCC is too early in the season and catches players cold, but I disagree. If it was played immediately after the Grand Final, there would be other issues like fatigue to consider so I don’t think timing is an issue. I know at Saints we would love to have another crack at it next year and do Super League more justice.

What proportion of your training time is spent on handling and passing practice?

Alex replies: (Laughs) Is this a dig at me and my handling skills?!  :onthequiet:  In pre-season you do a lot of individual work in those areas but in season it is mostly team based skills we focus on.

With the advance in sports science coupled with in depth video analysis and all round progression of professionalism within Rugby League why can't you play the ball properly?

Alex replies: (Laughs) Give me the name of whoever asked that one! :stop: I think if you watch the games back this season you’ll find I have played the ball properly all year! B)

Does Earl Crabtree inspire you?

Alex replies: As a player or as a Rugby League World columnist? :huh:  He doesn’t inspire me to grow my hair long! Eorl’s been a figurehead of the Huddersfield pack for a long time and I’d like to have a similar career at St Helens. He’s also got a good media career going but that’s not something I’d want to get involved with if I’m honest. I’ll leave that to Eorl and Jon Wilkin who are much better speakers than me.

Is it true Mark Percival still manages to get lost every day travelling from Widnes to St.Helens even though he has a map, SatNav and uses the same route ?

Alex replies: Who asked that?! Someone with inside knowledge? :haha:  Mark has a reputation for always being late and an excuse for every occasion, that much is true.

What are your five favourite cultural destinations in St Helens?

Alex replies: (Laughs) Was that sent in by a Wiganer? Probably The Imperial nightclub at 4am in the morning or the glass museum! B)

Who would win in a fight between a lion and a shark?

... :biggrin:

One for the TRL oldies there.

Alex replies: It would depend where the fight was. If it was in the sea the shark would win, if it was on land then it would be the lion. :good:

Alex replies: (Laughs) Was that sent in by a Wiganer? Probably The Imperial nightclub at 4am in the morning or the glass museum! B)

A Wiganer?!*!

I've never been so insu....................................................

Alex replies: (Laughs) Is this a dig at me and my handling skills?!  :onthequiet:  In pre-season you do a lot of individual work in those areas but in season it is mostly team based skills we focus on.

No, not a dig.

Just interested....

Archived