Tour de France 2015

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Absolute pig of a day tomorrow ... long stage full of mountains in very hot weather.

Can't see past Contador. Though Quintana might.

Dark horse: Christophe Riblon

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

Today's stage was an anticlimax. Froome's rivals were expecting Sky to wilt in the blazing sun but with a third of the race left, they got lighting and thunderstorms. Literally poured cold water on those plans and Froome coped steadily till the end.

Tomorrow is a long stage ... flat for the first 60 miles, lumpy for the final sixty. Peter Sagan is the clear favourite. As I don't like him:

Useless prediction: Roman Kreuziger

Dark horse:  Geraint Thomas

Thought Thomas was exceptional on that final climb today when everyone was putting pressure on Frome!

I hope he'll be able to step up as team leader in a Grand Tour next year. He deserves something big on his palmares.

I use to enjoy the Tour de France, but for me its been tainted by Lance Armstrong and the ever hanging cloud of drug use in professional cycling.

Lance wasn't the first to dope and won't be the last. Riders have been trying to find an edge on the tour since it began. From the early use of alcohol to numb the pain to Tommy Simpson dying on Ventoux after taking speed.

Whilst Armstrongs era took doping to a new level, Armstrong brought a banana to a gun fight when he arrived in the peloton. Armstrong has been made an example of whilst a lot of riders largely walked away. Even Floyd Landis stands to make $30m from bringing a case against Armstrong. Riders at US Postal knew what performance was expected of them and they all chose to dope to achieve it.

Don't hate Armstrong for being a doper. Hate him for his win at all costs attitude. His non British attitude to life after beating cancer. Indont agree with what Armstrong did but I understand why he did it.

Pro cycling will always have those that dope. The nature of pro cycling forces temptation. Butnbr thankful of the efforts pro cycling now makes to keep the sport as clean as possible. Not all sports do.

I hope he'll be able to step up as team leader in a Grand Tour next year. He deserves something big on his palmares.

I think he or Konig could be the leader in this year's Vuelta. Richie Porte is leaving this year so I don't think he'll get the gig. Froome might fancy a break.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it all come down to a climb up the Alpe d'huez (and the small matter of the Col de le Croix de Fer before that) today to decide tis years TdF. Should be an exciting few hours racing. Just hope none of the speccies bring Chris Froome off his bike to add to the cups of urine and spitting that he's already been subjected to. Allez Froomey!

Well, it all come down to a climb up the Alpe d'huez (and the small matter of the Col de le Croix de Fer before that) today to decide tis years TdF. Should be an exciting few hours racing. Just hope none of the speccies bring Chris Froome off his bike to add to the cups of urine and spitting that he's already been subjected to. Allez Froomey!

Apparently. the Team Sky support vehicles experienced some unpleasantness from 'spectators' earlier today too.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Apparently. the Team Sky support vehicles experienced some unpleasantness from 'spectators' earlier today too.

You could hear the booing on the TV when ever Froome was on screen; extremely sad in my opinion and smacks of absolute jealousy for what Brailsford and Team Sky have been able to achieve.

Extremely exciting stage and hats off to Quintana for an exceptional ride. However, hats off to Richie Porte for that final 15km projecting Froome to the tour win; extremely happy he has won and is able to stick two fingers up at his critics!!

P.S. Thought Brailsford summed up the situation really well just on the TV; Froome has beaten Contador, Nibali and Quintana... brilliant effort from him and Sky.

You could hear the booing on the TV when ever Froome was on screen; extremely sad in my opinion and smacks of absolute jealousy for what Brailsford and Team Sky have been able to achieve.

Extremely exciting stage and hats off to Quintana for an exceptional ride. However, hats off to Richie Porte for that final 15km projecting Froome to the tour win; extremely happy he has won and is able to stick two fingers up at his critics!!

P.S. Thought Brailsford summed up the situation really well just on the TV; Froome has beaten Contador, Nibali and Quintana... brilliant effort from him and Sky.

The French were busy sowing suspicion in the 2012 Olympics too - remember the very silly "magic wheels" accusation?

Froome's been spat at, booed, had urine thrown at him. Richie Porte claims he was punched on stage 10. There are some seriously stupid 'fans' of the TdF and it will damage the event. The genuine followers of the sport must be cringing at this sort of thing.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

The French were busy sowing suspicion in the 2012 Olympics too - remember the very silly "magic wheels" accusation?

Froome's been spat at, booed, had urine thrown at him. Richie Porte claims he was punched on stage 10. There are some seriously stupid 'fans' of the TdF and it will damage the event. The genuine followers of the sport must be cringing at this sort of thing.

I thought i saw someone spit at Froome again today - guy in a polka dot Jersey seemed to throw his head forward in a manner consistent with spitting and then Froome looked back glaringly at the same guy.

Usual, "he's not even British" stuff going about on Twitter too.

Anyway, barring a bad crash or some other catastrophe, he's won the Tour de France 2015. Here's hoping for a Cavendish win on the Champs Elysee tomorrow to crown it all.

Vive le fair play!

I thought i saw someone spit at Froome again today - guy in a polka dot Jersey seemed to throw his head forward in a manner consistent with spitting and then Froome looked back glaringly at the same guy.

Anyway, barring a bad crash or some other catastrophe, he's won the Tour de France 2015. Here's hoping for a Cavendish win on the Champs Elysee tomorrow to crown it all.

Aye, Wiggins isn't British either................ 

Twitter gives epsilons the opportunity to prove really quickly just what eejits they are in a public sphere...

Aye, Wiggins isn't British either................

Twitter gives epsilons the opportunity to prove really quickly just what eejits they are in a public sphere...

Strictly speaking Cavendish isn't British either. We're really useless at cycling!

It's going to be difficult for Cavendish tomorrow,most of his lead out train have gone.

Thank you for your valuable contribution.

It's going to be difficult for Cavendish tomorrow,most of his lead out train have gone.

Agreed, but he has used other riders lead outs successfully in the past and his lead out was fairly weak this year anyway. Should be fairly exciting and with rain forecast fairly dangerous too.

My thoughts exactly.

I'm also pleased he's won because me and my son stand to pick up a few hundred quid from the bookies. I couldn't see anybody beating Froome after watching his performance in the Criterium du Dauphine.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

Agreed, but he has used other riders lead outs successfully in the past and his lead out was fairly weak this year anyway. Should be fairly exciting and with rain forecast fairly dangerous too.

Yes, he's very adept at using other teams' riders to lead him out. With no Kittel to worry about I still think he has a good chance today.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

What is the motivation behind the hostility towards Froome? It is pitiful to watch and I am in awe of the focus he shows to rise above it and concentrate on showing the world that he is the best. First man since Merckx to win the Yellow Jersey and KoM. Knighthood inbound?

A successful English rider in a successful English team sponsored by a successful English company associated with Murdoch. Whats not to hate if you are from the school that thinks anyone who beats the French is cheating. 

Granted this is NOT the feeling of the vast majority of French people, but the media certainly like to take this position as anyone who know the extreme Anglophobic 

William Leymergie and his morning Telematin programme on France 2

A successful English rider in a successful English team sponsored by a successful English company associated with Murdoch. Whats not to hate if you are from the school that thinks anyone who beats the French is cheating. 

Granted this is NOT the feeling of the vast majority of French people, but the media certainly like to take this position as anyone who know the extreme Anglophobic 

William Leymergie and his morning Telematin programme on France 2

I feared it might have been simplistic prejudice. How different to the welcome all riders from all nations received over here on the UK sections of the tour last year. I wonder if the French authorities will actually do anything to stamp this behaviour out? I'm so looking forward to seeing the Sky team cruise down the Champs Elysees and Froome don the winners yellow jersey.

I feared it might have been simplistic prejudice. How different to the welcome all riders from all nations received over here on the UK sections of the tour last year. I wonder if the French authorities will actually do anything to stamp this behaviour out? I'm so looking forward to seeing the Sky team cruise down the Champs Elysees and Froome don the winners yellow jersey.

Is only from a vociferous minority, though, but still its headline fodder.

Archived