Married life...

So, at the tender age of 36, i've finally found somebody happy to have me as their husband.

Next Saturday we tie the knot and was wondering if anybody wanted to offer me some advice for the big day and married life after that.

Apologies for the self indulgent thread, but you never know, quality quotes may even make it into my wedding speech, with credit of course!

A man in love is incomplete until he is married. Then he is finished........

Marriage is like a deck of cards. You start off with hearts and diamonds but end up wishing you had a club and a spade.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

Lasted 84 to 2007 with the first, so I think I gave it my best - had two wonderful children and left on reasonable terms, and we can still converse when we need to about them etc. 

Met my husband to be in 2008 via here and friends I've made (and met) on here, and we are getting married on 24th July.

You're bound to get jokes (or speech inserts) on here ha ha. I will wish you and your bride to be all the best for a wonderful day, and life together. 

The only advice I will give isslow_1.jpg

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

Thanks folks, some responses i was expecting, and hoping for!

Unfortunately John it's a touch far, we're up in the highlands, at Loch Tay for a traditional Scottish wedding, screeching piper and all!

If you can get up there ill certainly welcome you and buy a pint!

Btw, that wasn't a cue for a TRL coachtrip :biggrin:

Thanks folks, some responses i was expecting, and hoping for!

Unfortunately John it's a touch far, we're up in the highlands, at Loch Tay for a traditional Scottish wedding, screeching piper and all!

If you can get up there ill certainly welcome you and buy a pint!

Btw, that wasn't a cue for a TRL coachtrip :biggrin:

Ha! I live just down the road! Where is it? (And who's the piper, I might know him? :) )

As a bit of a coincidence we are celebrating our 35th wedding anniversary today.

The secret of a successful marriage? The most important bit of advice I can think of is to commit to the person you're marrying and to the marriage itself with everything you have - beyond all else it must endure. That gives you an incentive to make it enjoyable. :)

Other than that, have fun, learn to negotiate and enjoy and appreciate each others company. All the best.

I don't need Google, my wife knows everything! :)

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

Dave/AMH, congratulations to you both and wish you both all the best on your (separate) special day! :D

Must be the year for totalrl member weddings; getting hitched myself on 15 Aug up in Cumbria!

ah, but did you 'meet' on here? 

Congrats to you too x

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

Congratulations to all! :) 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Ha! I live just down the road! Where is it? (And who's the piper, I might know him? :) )

Just at Kenmore village mate. The piper is a young lad (who isn't very good at answering emails!!!! - stressing the bride out :biggrin: )

We head up tomorrow for the week - if you're in the area at all this week I'll be the one with the Warrington accent in the pub!!!

Just at Kenmore village mate. The piper is a young lad (who isn't very good at answering emails!!!! - stressing the bride out :biggrin: )

We head up tomorrow for the week - if you're in the area at all this week I'll be the one with the Warrington accent in the pub!!!

Kenmore is great, a beautiful place. You might even see JK Rowling, she lives nearby in Weem on the edge of Aberfeldy. The best twinning sign in the world is just up the road at Dull, twinned with Boring (Oregon).

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

Kenmore is great, a beautiful place. You might even see JK Rowling, she lives nearby in Weem on the edge of Aberfeldy. The best twinning sign in the world is just up the road at Dull, twinned with Boring (Oregon).

Yes, enjoy a visit to the Highlands Safari cafe near the Dull and Boring sign!

We just visited for a weekend a couple of years back and fell in love with the place, looking forward to the rest of our family who haven't visited yet spending a few days up there.

Didn't know that about JK Rowling, have seen her in Edinburgh before.

Remember. marriage isn't a word. It's a sentence.

But seriously folks........you don't need any help from us, and I certainly won't wish you luck, either you or AMH,m as you won't need it, I'm sure.

You who are getting married become WE.

If you do not marry  you each tend to say I,  As in iam going on holiday with my partner.Whereas married couples will say we are going on holiday.

Two married become as one usually.

We my wife and I celebrate 50yrs on the 17th July next.

Cue the jokes!!!!

Best wishes Dave, coming up to two years for me so I wouldn't claim to have mastered it yet.

Enjoy the day and don't spend it fretting about others enjoying themselves (apart from the bride!).

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Congratulations; don't do it!

I was a similar age when I got married; 35. I lived with my betrothed for a good ten years prior to our legal 'sentence'

Aren't from Burtonwood? You need to imbibed.

:biggrin:

Thanks.

yes mate, Mum's family from Burtonwood and I lived there for a good few years before escaping to an equally strange place, Scotland! 

So, at the tender age of 36, i've finally found somebody happy to have me as their husband.

Next Saturday we tie the knot and was wondering if anybody wanted to offer me some advice for the big day and married life after that.

Apologies for the self indulgent thread, but you never know, quality quotes may even make it into my wedding speech, with credit of course!

Congratulations.  Although I had to read that twice, I read the end of the first sentence as "happy to be my husband"!

This is my 2nd marriage, been married 15 years now and very happy with it.  The first one was a bit of a disaster of youth and arrogance on both our parts.

My wife's advice to me for the big day was: "Turn up on time sober and if Russ forgets the rings then I'll castrate him.  Oh, and if he does anything embarrassing to you on the stag night then I'll castrate him.  In fact, tell him that if he messes up in any way then I'll castrate him and stuff them down his throat" :D  Bit of a bridezilla :D

The real advice I'd give you is get the best man, get your best blackmail material possible and remind him of that.  Insist on previewing the speech first and red line the truly awful stuff.  My poor mate had a fantastic speech written that I butchered as I didn't want my antics in the army spread around my wife's very prim & proper family.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Archived