The Ashes 2015

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The way Lyth is going Strauss might have to pick himself for Trent Bridge.

Lyth's fine. He'll get the full series to prove himself, as he should. If the selectors wanted better form from him, they should have picked him for the Windies where he could've adapted more to test cricket instead of that charlatan Trott. Stupid decision that was.

A strange and entertaining match. Good stuff!

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

yep....

Nope, at least 6 minutes out. ;) 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

That'll do. 2-1 up with two to play.

and no Jimmy Anderson :(

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

Jimmy's our best bowler and a loss no doubt. Finn bowled well here though, Broad can stand up, Wood may be back.

I think the 4th test is crucial.

Given that Andrew Strauss is both upper-case and lower-case conservative, I'd expect Wood to return.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Lyth's fine. He'll get the full series to prove himself, as he should. If the selectors wanted better form from him, they should have picked him for the Windies where he could've adapted more to test cricket instead of that charlatan Trott. Stupid decision that was.

Nah sorry he's gotta go Rabbit in headlights springs to mind

Its got to the stage were the Aussies to celebrate his wicket they expect it

Trouble is Selectors in England stick with a winning team,so he's probably safe even though he's averaging less than a dozen

I dont see Australia winning at Trent Bridge. Like Edgebaston the barmy army will be out in force.There is no atmosphere at Lords with the striped blazers and boaters.Home of cricket? too posh.

Lots of football style chanting is what is needed. And fancy dress, it inspires the players.

Lots of football style chanting is what is needed. And fancy dress, it inspires the players.

The commentary team in the crowd yesterday was an inspired piece of fancy dress. Especially because Nasser Hussein had to pretend to find it funny.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

What a shame Jimmy's missing Trent Bridge though. His bowling figures there are his best.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

BTW, good of England to wrap up the match so it didn't clash with today's Challenge Cup semi. B) 

Ralph Waldo Emerson

No Ashes tests at Old Trafford,  Headingley or Durham. Obviously the ECB is abandoning the north for major games.  I suppose it's all about money.  Eventually when test cricket is a purely southern game, and confined to payTV, perhaps they'll have cause to rue the day.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

No Ashes tests at Old Trafford,  Headingley or Durham. Obviously the ECB is abandoning the north for major games.  I suppose it's all about money.  Eventually when test cricket is a purely southern game, and confined to payTV, perhaps they'll have cause to rue the day.

They'll be unhappy with the last test then at 3 days out of 5, including both weekend days not used.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

All the test-level grounds get a chance to bid for matches. Lords will always get an Ashes test, to England's detriment, but otherwise they get spread around. Edgbaston is the Northernmost venue in this series, but next time, Headingley may well get a shot. But for the Ashes, it's pretty competitive, due to the revenue it brings in.

Headingly and Old Trafford get ODIs this time around.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Headingley withdrew from the bidding.  It did have a New Zealand test earlier in the year.

Given the number of players either in the squad or in the fringes who hail from Yorkshire and Durham I think we're a long way off Test cricket being a southern sideshow.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Headingley withdrew from the bidding.  It did have a New Zealand test earlier in the year.

Given the number of players either in the squad or in the fringes who hail from Yorkshire and Durham I think we're a long way off Test cricket being a southern sideshow.

At the moment yes. But if kids don't get the chance to see their national side in action against the best in the world, they'll be lost as potential players, and for that matter supporters.  I remember taking my lad to Headingley in 1984 to see the Windies, with Malcolm Marshall, Joel Garner, Viv Richards, Gordon Greenidge etc.  He's still a cricket fan today.  Your post only confirms what I said, it's all about money, short sighted.  Obviously the ECB are another organisation that know the price of everything and the value of nothing.  Test cricket used to travel around the country.  In the famous 1981 series matches were played at Nottingham, Lords, Headingley, Old Trafford, Edgbaston, and the Oval.  London always gets two tests no matter who's playing.  This time they'll get three.  All the matches will be south of the River Trent, the theoretical dividing line between North and South.  The wealth in this country is predominantly in the South.  So the reasons for no major tests in the North are easily worked out.

Clement Attlee.

Archived