9 Jul: Wigan Warriors v Leeds Rhinos KO 8pm (TV)

Who will win?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Wigan Warriors
    • Draw
    • Leeds Rhinos

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, as a Saints fan I wanted neither team to win so I didn't have a dog in this fight but I thought it was a very enjoyable game, that the no try was rightly ruled no try (bloody obvious obstruction, right near the line), Aiton was an idiot to push off the ball like he did to give that winning penalty to Wigan, it wasn't as obvious as the Sky clowns were stating that Smith knocked on in the Famous Knock On that really wasn't and Leeds got away with a number of forward passes, as is their way.  Some great handling by Leeds on occasion though and some great scramble defence by Wigan.

Good game, right score.

Good to see Ablett showing the sort of form that got him International honours.

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

I'll be interested to watch the game back when I get home as at the match it seemed to me Silverwood was massively in favour of Leeds, the opposite of common opinion here it seems, both teams offside but kept pinging Wigan for it, thought there was a flop by Leeds in front of the posts at 24-18 and he didn't give us the penalty which could have been vital, plenty forward passes and high shots missed, maybe it'll look different when I'm a bit calmer !!

You may be interested to note when you watch back that whenever Wigan crowd made a noise to suggest ref missed something the commentators made a point to show it was a correct decision.

You may always note the clear Matty Smith knock on that went against Leeds, from which Wigan scored a try.

Will interesting to see your opinion on the disallowed try as I could not see any wigan player actually obstructed except to say the Wigan player had made his choice before any crossing.   That was a really tough call that any fan would be upset if it was the team he supported.

Look forward to your comments when you calm down (as you say) and the objectivity kicks in.  Decisions where not in favour of any team overall.  Silverwood warned players that there where erring off side but didn't penalise until siad players did the same the next play - this happened to Wigan admittedly but would suppose they had been warned and should've have been warned.

The best I heard was when ref gave Wigan a penalty for interfering when the Leeds player was lying on his back on the floor hands outstretched trying not to interfere but upon trying to get up it could be argued he knocked the ball from the Wigan player. It was hard to see on TV as commentator wondered if it was the Wigan player knee. Anyway the funny bit for me was the ref telling the Leeds player he should have got out the way off the floor. This was precisely what he was doing which caused the fumble. If had just laid there no penalty but in trying get up as ref wanted it ended up a penalty.   I found this amusing.

Mcdermotts comments will be interesting.

Didn't see/hear them, did he mention a broken ankle that never was?

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

You may be interested to note when you watch back that whenever Wigan crowd made a noise to suggest ref missed something the commentators made a point to show it was a correct decision.

You may always note the clear Matty Smith knock on that went against Leeds, from which Wigan scored a try.

Will interesting to see your opinion on the disallowed try as I could not see any wigan player actually obstructed except to say the Wigan player had made his choice before any crossing.   That was a really tough call that any fan would be upset if it was the team he supported.

Look forward to your comments when you calm down (as you say) and the objectivity kicks in.  Decisions where not in favour of any team overall.  Silverwood warned players that there where erring off side but didn't penalise until siad players did the same the next play - this happened to Wigan admittedly but would suppose they had been warned and should've have been warned.

The best I heard was when ref gave Wigan a penalty for interfering when the Leeds player was lying on his back on the floor hands outstretched trying not to interfere but upon trying to get up it could be argued he knocked the ball from the Wigan player. It was hard to see on TV as commentator wondered if it was the Wigan player knee. Anyway the funny bit for me was the ref telling the Leeds player he should have got out the way off the floor. This was precisely what he was doing which caused the fumble. If had just laid there no penalty but in trying get up as ref wanted it ended up a penalty.   I found this amusing.

55853604.jpg

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Well, as a Saints fan I wanted neither team to win so I didn't have a dog in this fight but I thought it was a very enjoyable game, that the no try was rightly ruled no try (bloody obvious obstruction, right near the line), Aiton was an idiot to push off the ball like he did to give that winning penalty to Wigan, it wasn't as obvious as the Sky clowns were stating that Smith knocked on in the Famous Knock On that really wasn't and Leeds got away with a number of forward passes, as is their way.  Some great handling by Leeds on occasion though and some great scramble defence by Wigan.

Good game, right score.

Actually I disagree in the "obvious obstruction". When it was showed from the angle behind the goal it was clear the Wigan defender had clearly made a choice in which direction and which player he was going for... this before any possibility of obstruction call.   Thus no player was actually obstructed as the defender made the decision before any possibility of interference.   From the angle used for video ref decision it was less clear but the video ref had to play it a number of times... which he wouldn't have done if it was "obvious".

The problem is the new rule where ref makes a decision. The ref know for sure so went to video ref... if he was sure he wouldn't have asked for video ref. This fine except he always is now expected to give a decision as to what he thinks even though he doesn't know (otherwise why call video ref).  He gave it as a no try.

From that point the video ref has to be absolutely sure it wasn't obstruction.   If the system was same as previous seasons ref would give no opinion and then video ref is not looking to sure that ref got it wrong. They would not have to think about having to override the ref.. This makes it a higher bar.

Didn't see/hear them, did he mention a broken ankle that never was?

Your getting so obsessive thats its getting to the point I don't want to come on this forum anymore.  Their comes a point when it becomes an obsessive need to constantly harp on about the same incident... a sort of incident stalking mentality.

Redjonn I thought the same . It was him trying to move that inadvertently made the ball come out . So how can you win ? Move or don't move . Basically the ref had no idea , made a call then had to think of an excuse off the top of his head when questioned why he made that call . The default position should be knock on unless totally certain . To many penalties for loose carries and incidental / accidental contact on the ball . No intent to give away a penalty most of the time ... Loose it - knock on .

only thing a perennial underdog has to offer is mischief

Just 'aving a larf mate.

The Widnes fan nailed his colours to the mast, I didn't see any derogatory comments from you about that. I decided to do the same and you object.

Interesting, your use of the word perennial, meaning infinitely underachieving.

I can remember cheering on Hull FC in the late 70's early 80's when we could put 13 people off the street up against Leeds and still win.

It was the first time I've watched Shaun Wane end of match comments and he not mention the ref.

I think the interviewer should have had the guts to ask him what he thought of the two crucial decisions that influenced the game. The obstruction rule out giving how much he complained about the rule in the past.... and the fortunate mistake the ref missing Smith knock on that ultimately led a Wigan try.

Wish sometime's the interviewer had more bottle.

Never-the-less as the other coach says you have to defend whatever the correct decision should have been.

I hesitate to write this, but do any non Wigan fans see why we rate McIllorum so highly after the last 2 weeks? I know we all see what we want to see, but he is the player that makes us tick.

Absolutely. He's grown up a lot in the last year or so.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

Your getting so obsessive thats its getting to the point I don't want to come on this forum anymore.  Their comes a point when it becomes an obsessive need to constantly harp on about the same incident... a sort of incident stalking mentality.

Don't be so daft mate.

If you don't agree then take me to task without threatening to take your bat and ball home in a sulk.

If your argument against me is valid, people on here will back you up and it's me that will have to have a rethink about what I've posted.

Anyway, I rather like obsessive.

Redjonn I thought the same . It was him trying to move that inadvertently made the ball come out . So how can you win ? Move or don't move . Basically the ref had no idea , made a call then had to think of an excuse off the top of his head when questioned why he made that call . The default position should be knock on unless totally certain . To many penalties for loose carries and incidental / accidental contact on the ball . No intent to give away a penalty most of the time ... Loose it - knock on .

I agree with your sentiments. The player carrying the ball has the onus to hold on to it. Otherwise your allowing players not to carry properly as they want to be able to make off-loads or PTB quickly.   Although the incident in this case was different never-the-less loose carry's are often because players are not holding the ball as safely as possible to be able to off load.

I guess if the objective is try and give attacking team the advantage then I can understand but the lets be honest thats why the call almost always is classed a s stripping or interfering and allowing poor skill.

Don't be so daft mate.

If you don't agree then take me to task without threatening to take your bat and ball home in a sulk.

If your argument against me is valid, people on here will back you up and it's me that will have to have a rethink about what I've posted.

Anyway, I rather like obsessive.

Not sulking... but I must admit I was struggling to try and make you realise it was becoming obsessive and not as funny as was... oh I can't guess how many posts of it in threads nowt to do with it.   Never-the-less your right I shouldn't let your comments interfere with my enjoyment. That is of course I should just ignore your rather strange obsession with Mcquire.

That is of course I should just ignore your rather strange obsession with Mcquire.

I don't have one.

394671.jpg

Its dark here, is someone going to switch the lights on before the game starts or what!

(Just for OF)

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

From sat in the East Stand at times the game seemed like a lottery not knowing which rules the officials would apply, if at all.

Forward passes all night, many not marginal but 2-4 mtrs forward and forward passes involved in two Leeds tries..

Not a single forward pass picked out though by Silverwood and his mates.

Archived