Renewable energy

One thing that's gone uncommented on here is that the government has halted subsidies on wind farms a year earlier than planned.  A daft decision based on idiot "evidence" and narrow selfish interests.

I read a couple of great articles lately on this and it was brought up again when I read that Denmark had a day yesterday where they generated 140% of the nation's needs in wind power, albeit on an exceptionally windy day with perfect conditions.

The articles I read were in IEEE (not exactly what you'd call a bastion of left-wing environmentalism).  The first one was on the progress of European renewables, the second one was on natural "batteries" in Norway to store all the excess power, funded by that evil EU.

A fascinating time when a bit of bravery from national governments could see us drastically cut our electricity needs plus give us the resilience to self-power while reducing our dependence on oil and gas from dodgy areas, oil sheiks and Russia.  Won't happen though because of idiot selfish politicians.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Norway? E.U? Funding? How does that work? Would we still get EU funding if we leave the E.U?

If only the Labour Party had your single-minded determination (and spare time) to criticise every single thing that A Conservative govt has ever done, ever, in the entire history (and future) of mankind, then maybe your partY would now be in power.

Norway? E.U? Funding? How does that work? Would we still get EU funding if we leave the E.U?

If only the Labour Party had your single-minded determination (and spare time) to criticise every single thing that A Conservative govt has ever done, ever, in the entire history (and future) of mankind, then maybe your partY would now be in power.

How very Tory. Ignore the facts and just criticise.

The EU funds are there for the benefit of the EU countries. Contrary to Tory thinking, the EU does have a lot of good ideas they invest in for the common good.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

And on the spare time to criticise, I criticise from a position of knowledge on this having used my spare time to catch up on my engineering society journals. Better than using a tabloid for "facts".

I'd be delighted if you challenged the facts, if they're wrong then I'd be even more delighted it in the spirit of engineering journals that you prove it so.

It's like reading the Guardian all the time. Constant carping about anything and everything the Conservative govt, or previously, the Coalition Govt.have done or are doing and in this case totally ignoring the huge investment in alternative energy. Totally ignoring the huge programme of offshore wind farms, past, present and future. Totally ignoring the part the Govt and local govt played in getting Siemens to build a huge wind farm facility on the Humber bank...£500 million and thousands of jobs. It's time you took a long hard look at your posts....and maybe give you the gift to see yourself as others see you.

Rant over...for now.

Judging by the rubbish being posted on the benefits thread by certain labour supporters,i'd say thats a bit OTT

Which bits are wrong?  You can use the quote button if it helps?

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

So CKN is wrong to highlight the lack of facts used to argue a point in this thread, because someone else has posted something on a different subject in a different thread.... ok....

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

A fascinating time when a bit of bravery from national governments could see us drastically cut our electricity needs plus give us the resilience to self-power while reducing our dependence on oil and gas from dodgy areas, oil sheiks and Russia.  Won't happen though because of idiot selfish politicians.

There are lots of thinks going on, from climate change denial, to self interest.  Throw in a lack of will to make big decisions (that's all parties) and you have the mess we have.

So CKN is wrong to highlight the lack of facts used to argue a point in this thread, because someone else has posted something on a different subject in a different thread.... ok....

It's like seeing Fox News come to the forum at times.  Sometimes I wish I could use the ignore button, I think I'd enjoy this forum far more.

It's like reading the Guardian all the time. Constant carping about anything and everything the Conservative govt, or previously, the Coalition Govt.have done or are doing and in this case totally ignoring the huge investment in alternative energy. Totally ignoring the huge programme of offshore wind farms, past, present and future. Totally ignoring the part the Govt and local govt played in getting Siemens to build a huge wind farm facility on the Humber bank...£500 million and thousands of jobs. It's time you took a long hard look at your posts....and maybe give you the gift to see yourself as others see you.

Rant over...for now.

Would you prefer that we live in a totalitarian state where criticism of the government is not permitted?

I've been coming on this forum for well over 10 years and there was no shortage of threads criticising the government of the day prior to 2010. But that was a Labour Government so probably fair game in your eyes.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

A couple of points...

1. Not all wind farm subsidies are being ended. It only affects onshore wind farms. Subsidies will still be available for offshore projects.

2. The current level of subsidy is unsustainable unless you wish to see even higher energy bills for consumers.

3. Most of the subsidies are going to non-domestic companies like Dong Energy who have no UK based subsidiary and don't pay any taxes here. Also, companies such as B2 Energy are exploiting our generous research grant system - they registered a UK business and got many millions in grants then scarpered back to Holland to build their prototypes using Dutch workers but paid by UK taxpayers money.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

I just don't understand you. ...One minute you're Easy Rider driving through France, the next you're a sandal wearing social worker driving a hairdryer. Can the real Shadow please stand up?

I'm just an enigma me

A couple of points...

1. Not all wind farm subsidies are being ended. It only affects onshore wind farms. Subsidies will still be available for offshore projects.

If this is true then it's no big deal Imo. Onshore wind farms are a waste of time in the uk given the long, expensive and contentious EIA/planning process each farm has to go through and the unreliable and historically underwhelming output they produce. Offshore farms offer much more and if developers are encouraged away from on shore and toward off shore then great

A couple of points...

2. The current level of subsidy is unsustainable unless you wish to see even higher energy bills for consumers.

3. Most of the subsidies are going to non-domestic companies like Dong Energy who have no UK based subsidiary and don't pay any taxes here. Also, companies such as B2 Energy are exploiting our generous research grant system - they registered a UK business and got many millions in grants then scarpered back to Holland to build their prototypes using Dutch workers but paid by UK taxpayers money.

Spot on !

Business (many foreign) have found ways to exploit the current rules & policies to the point where its unsustainable in its current format.

Personally i'm in favour of more investment in renewable energy (and i'm not just saying that because my wife works for a solar energy business), but our ultimate goal as a country should be to be totally self sustainable in terms of energy generation. Its become too risky to rely any longer on overseas oil, gas etc. particularly as the majority comes from unstable regions and countries who have the political will to cut off supplies whenever they feel like. 

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

If this is true then it's no big deal Imo. Onshore wind farms are a waste of time in the uk given the long, expensive and contentious EIA/planning process each farm has to go through and the unreliable and historically underwhelming output they produce. Offshore farms offer much more and if developers are encouraged away from on shore and toward off shore then great

The Onshore wind farm subsidies have done little for communities. If the subsidies had been restructured to financially favour communities and residents associations it would have been interesting to see how many planning processes became contentious. It kind reminds me of the Green New Deal. If the Green New Deal had offered interest free credit instead of the non competitive terms they did then it might have been a lot more successful. Instead the banks were greedy and killed the Green New Deal.

Well the new government has already done a U-turn on fracking...

In February it was announced that no fracking (a 'total ban') would be allowed in Sites of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI).  This week they dropped that ban.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/earth/energy/fracking/11745442/Fracking-to-be-allowed-in-protected-wildlife-areas-after-Government-u-turn.html

Well the new government has already done a U-turn on fracking...

Pressure from the corporate lobbyists on the Tory party. Would it have happened under the previous government?

In February it was announced that no fracking (a 'total ban') would be allowed in Sites of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI).  This week they dropped that ban.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/earth/energy/fracking/11745442/Fracking-to-be-allowed-in-protected-wildlife-areas-after-Government-u-turn.html

If Onshore wind farms were a waste of time in the uk given the long, expensive and contentious EIA/planning process each farm. It will be interesting to see how long, expensive and contentious each fracking well when they become public knowledge.

Archived