In Support Of Tube Drivers

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

The politics of envy?

Strange, isn't it? The market has decided what the pay of doctors should be, and while I'm sure everyone agrees it would be great to pay them more, unfortunately that's just not how the real world works.

On the other hand, we see a group of largely working class folk who have demonstrated initative and aspiration and a determination to "get on and make a success of their life" - sometimes without the best academic qualifications - and they are derided and mocked by parts of the media and public.

It's not a question of coming down to earth, Mr Duxbury. Some of us, Mr Duxbury, belong in the stars.

So you think a train driver should get more than a doctor?

If so you should think bin men should get more than nurses

The market dictates the pay, unless it upsets you, then the market is wrong and we need some sort of collective wage control?

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Put some effort in... if you actually looked at the jobs then they're promotion jobs where you've had to excel at other roles within TFL.  It's not a job that's advertised publicly and there's roughly 150 applicants per job meaning those who get the job really have to prove they're worth it.

There's a good chance as a tube driver that you'll kill someone who jumps.  There's a good chance you'll be physically abused.  There's an even better chance that you'll be the convenient target of politicians who want to deny you a pay rise while getting an 11% one (not including the equivalent increase in pension as well).

I may personally think they probably get at the high end of what's acceptable but they have a union that's still functional unlike 95%+ of the UK workers.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

The market dictates the pay, unless it upsets you, then the market is wrong and we need some sort of collective wage control?

Put some effort in... if you actually looked at the jobs then they're promotion jobs where you've had to excel at other roles within TFL.  It's not a job that's advertised publicly and there's roughly 150 applicants per job meaning those who get the job really have to prove they're worth it.

There's a good chance as a tube driver that you'll kill someone who jumps.  There's a good chance you'll be physically abused.  There's an even better chance that you'll be the convenient target of politicians who want to deny you a pay rise while getting an 11% one (not including the equivalent increase in pension as well).

I may personally think they probably get at the high end of what's acceptable but they have a union that's still functional unlike 95%+ of the UK workers.

Point 1 they are a glorified bus driver and at that salary is it any surprise they have so many applicants

Point 2 Bus drivers suffer the same probably worse scenarios,politicians pay rise is'nt a tory thing while wrong its assessed by some commission(totally wrong) in my eyes.

Some unions went OTT in the 70/80's i remember coming home from school having to eat my tea by candlelight/bins not being emptied/dead not buried yeah lets return to the past it was great

Is it really market forces that dictate pay. The tube is a monopoly it isn't like the private company buses. The tube is vital for London if they go on strike then they have tfl by the balls. Not that I'm against the tube going on strike just an observation.

Homer: How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?

[

i]Mr. Burns: Woah, slow down there maestro. There's a *New* Mexico?[/i]

There's a good chance as a tube driver that you'll kill someone who jumps.

There's a good chance you'll be physically abused. .

Are you sure about this? What is a good chance? You'll have supporting evidence, of course.

A Maoist unionite?

Not yer actual gun I grant you, but the strike used as a weapon?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_power_grows_out_of_the_barrel_of_a_gun

Interesting that it's the drivers who are being singled out even though it was all the tube staff who went on strike just because they are the ones who happen to be reasonably well paid. The usual suspects in the press have also skewed the issue to make it out to be about pay when it's not. It's about their working terms and conditions being drastically altered without any proper consultation. But that doesn't fit their agenda, so they just pretend it's about well paid drivers being greedy.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

Interesting that it's the drivers who are being singled out even though it was all the tube staff who went on strike just because they are the ones who happen to be reasonably well paid. The usual suspects in the press have also skewed the issue to make it out to be about pay when it's not. It's about their working terms and conditions being drastically altered without any proper consultation. But that doesn't fit their agenda, so they just pretend it's about well paid drivers being greedy.

Copyright Guardian Newspapers 2015

I've got a few medic friends and with a bit or private work thrown in they can soon boost that 'pitiful' basic salary up to something more 'acceptable'.

I've got a few medic friends and with a bit or private work thrown in they can soon boost that 'pitiful' basic salary up to something more 'acceptable'.

Also, the same papers keep telling us that GPs are grossly overpaid. I wish they'd make up their minds. 

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

Also, the same papers keep telling us that GPs are grossly overpaid. I wish they'd make up their minds. 

My friend who is a GP has a massive house in Bucks with a garden the size if a football pitch. I suspect she's doing all right for herself.

My friend who is a GP has a massive house in Bucks with a garden the size if a football pitch. I suspect she's doing all right for herself.

This may not be the case for all GPs of course.

Your friend may be bucksing the trend.  :ph34r:

Coat needed?

Bin men and sewage workers have saved more lives than doctors and nurses.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

How many years training does it take to become a binman?

It's not really relevant. Research scientists train for far longer than doctors but get a fraction of the pay.

There are some complicating factors but generally speaking tube drivers and doctors get paid well because they have strong unions, research scientists get paid poorly because they have weak (or no) unions.

There will eventually come a point where both TFL and the public say enough is enough with tube strikes. While the drivers & other workers have them 'by the balls' now what they have to realise is the technology already exists to dispose of them all together and have driverless trains.

The cost of this technology will fall and as staff salaries rise there will come a point where it is no longer cost effective to have humans in the key positions such as drivers and they will make them all redundant overnight.

Society can't live without doctors, nurses, firemen, policemen etc. but it can live without tube drivers, something the hard line unions should think about when making demands.

Having lived & worked in London for over 8 years, I like millions of others relied on the tube every day. And believe me, it doesn't take much for public support & sympathy to turn to anger when peoples everyday lives are being disrupted every day. The unions aren't holding TFL to ranson with strikes, they're holding the whole of London to ransom, and if history tell us anything its that society has a habit of fighting back when threatened and there will only ever be one winner, and its not the tube drivers & their unions.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

It was every grade of tube employee, except for management, that walked out last week. And yet, for obvious reasons, the blame is all being heaped upon the drivers.

How many of you heard that the cleaners, all on zero hours contracts btw, were sent home by TFL that day and the drivers collected for their lost wages?

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Society can't live without doctors, nurses, firemen, policemen etc. but it can live without tube drivers, something the hard line unions should think about when making demands.

Having lived & worked in London for over 8 years, I like millions of others relied on the tube every day.

And what was wrong with either of those statements of mine you highlighted ?

People rely on the tube every day but they Dont have to rely on drivers, they can easily be replaced right now by technology - something we cant currently do with doctors, nurses firemen etc.

All the new rolling stock on the underground, and the upgrades taking place in the tunnels & stations have been 'future proofed' to allow an easy retrofitting of the technology to make the system autonomous. TFL are already 'hedging their bets' and planning for an underground without drivers.

The mistake the unions are making is in thinking they are so powerful that there will never be a public & political will to implement it - How wrong they will be !

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

And what was wrong with either of those statements of mine you highlighted ?

People rely on the tube every day but they Dont have to rely on drivers, they can easily be replaced right now by technology - something we cant currently do with doctors, nurses firemen etc.

The technology certainly exists but none of it is in place on the tube system (DLR excepted). To upgrade the whole tube network will take many, many years and cost millions. But that can only replace the drivers, not the other staff.

Archived