2016 Recruitment

Nick07

Agree with you 100 speculating £50 is just as good but to raise £50k would need 1,000 speculating £50! Again thats just as good to achieve same.

Just think notion of speculate to accumulate in our position is nonsense.

I can wholeheartedly understand your position

It's difficult to spend what you could never recover,also risking the business doing so

Players are wanting the earth,agents are in a frenzy with all the new found wealth around the top half of the championship

Difficult for chairmen around the league

But imagine this

This season nobody goes up,nobody comes down

End of the 2016 same four teams hit the middle 8's leigh,Bradford, Halifax,Sheffield

Resulting that time with a super league club been relegated

So not only say for an example wakefield come down,with a million quid

The likes of Bradford, Leigh, Halifax,Sheffield will have had 2 seasons of serious money

By this time how far behind are teams like Dewsbury, batley,Whitehaven, Workington who are spending just not to get relegated

Their going to be seriously disadvantaged and longer it goes on,the bigger the gulf will become

I can understand now why it was so important for Featherstone to reach the top 4.

Because there's a massive danger once the boat sails....and it has

You may never get on it again unless you throw ridiculous amounts of money at buying a ticket

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can wholeheartedly understand your position

It's difficult to spend what you could never recover,also risking the business doing so

Players are wanting the earth,agents are in a frenzy with all the new found wealth around the top half of the championship

Difficult for chairmen around the league

But imagine this

This season nobody goes up,nobody comes down

End of the 2016 same four teams hit the middle 8's leigh,Bradford, Halifax,Sheffield

Resulting that time with a super league club been relegated

So not only say for an example wakefield come down,with a million quid

The likes of Bradford, Leigh, Halifax,Sheffield will have had 2 seasons of serious money

By this time how far behind are teams like Dewsbury, batley,Whitehaven, Workington who are spending just not to get relegated

Their going to be seriously disadvantaged and longer it goes on,the bigger the gulf will become

I can understand now why it was so important for Featherstone to reach the top 4.

Because there's a massive danger once the boat sails....and it has

You may never get on it again unless you throw ridiculous amounts of money at buying a ticket

And how many of those teams you mention have we had buckets out for?  They've all speculated and accumulated but not after the rugby family has helped them out. Like our fuhrer says it is a gamble but they all seem to have come out smelling of roses so up to this point it's been worth it for them.

We're not even asking to gamble on a team of new players anyway, just the one signing in the middle of the park that will make all the difference.   By all accounts we might have signed a couple of decent players but no one seems to want to tell us.

Sorry for talking nonsense Kevin, I do that sometimes .I do agree with Fred's post as I feel that Halifax grasped the nettle, and are now in a position of setting up a reserve grade using the money they speculated for,and have now got. And they were having bucket collections not long ago.

WHERE DO YOU WANT ME TO SWIPE THIS?

What I have been saying is that 2 years ago, when the new financial figures were agreed for league placings, that a better recruitment effort should have been made to try and ensure a higher league finishing place rather than the relegation battle we found ourselves in. By achieving a higher position we would have had a larger budget for the season just gone which, hopefully, would have seen a higher finishing position again and therefore more income for next season. The initial figure IMO need not have probably been anywhere near the figure being mentioned now. Unfortunately the chance was missed and we find ourselves playing catchup and will probably be doing so for a few years with the present financial set up unless the clubs themselves even the distribution out.

At no time have I ever said that £50k should be spent on a player.

Oh you mean like Leigh have this year. Spent the cap on these class signings, just remind me again where they finished?. Oh yeah, that right, below fax and Sheffield who spent considerably less and took home considerably more.

Maybe you should support Leigh or Salford. They have the same ethos. Run your business Kevin as you have and batley will be around for a long time to come, you may not reach the upper echelons on RL again but you will be around long after others have gone boom and bust.

Oh you mean like Leigh have this year. Spent the cap on these class signings, just remind me again where they finished?. Oh yeah, that right, below fax and Sheffield who spent considerably less and took home considerably more.

Maybe you should support Leigh or Salford. They have the same ethos. Run your business Kevin as you have and batley will be around for a long time to come, you may not reach the upper echelons on RL again but you will be around long after others have gone boom and bust.

And we spent considerably less than Halifax and Sheffield. . .

Not asking for a team of stars. We already have a dozen quality players just the one player that will piece it all together like a Karl Pryce at Dewsbury.

In 2010 we spent as much as we could afford & managed to win N.R. Cup. In 2013 we spent as much as we could afford & got to G.F. In 2014 & 2015 we spent as much as we could afford & have been close to relegation. In 2016 we intend to spend as much as we can afford AND MORE to try to improve but not to the point of putting the Club at risk by "speculating". As for Fax don't think their success is due to irresponsible speculation but they recruited well with a bigger budget than us due to far bigger crowds & £50,000 more distribution than us but they have done a great job with a lower budget than Eg. Bulls, Leigh, London & probably Fev so well done to them. Fax & Rams have been big achievers of 2015 but we will try to be up there in 2016.

you all know its NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN because of the negative nature and way the club is structured and run, so why bother, the man in th big chair does what HE wants regardless

What is never going to happen?

If you mean " speculating" then you are right within reason.

What is negative nature?

If you mean trying to run Club on a sound financial footing then it is run that way.

Structure regrettably reflects size of our organisation which frustrates me as much as others but we will work within ourselves to improve things as best we can.

Assuming I am the man in the big chair then firstly it is not big but myself & the Board will continue to lead in a strong fashion in the best interests of the Club or is it better to have weak leadership?

What will happen in 2016 is we will improve.

What is never going to happen?

If you mean " speculating" then you are right within reason.

What is negative nature?

If you mean trying to run Club on a sound financial footing then it is run that way.

Structure regrettably reflects size of our organisation which frustrates me as much as others but we will work within ourselves to improve things as best we can.

Assuming I am the man in the big chair then firstly it is not big but myself & the Board will continue to lead in a strong fashion in the best interests of the Club or is it better to have weak leadership?

What will happen in 2016 is we will improve.

Well i can only admire your optimism Kevin (honestly) but that last sentence has been repeated year in year out since your tenure began with the promise of the "5 year Super League plan" empty promises year in year out and nothing has changed

In 2010 we spent as much as we could afford & managed to win N.R. Cup. In 2013 we spent as much as we could afford & got to G.F. In 2014 & 2015 we spent as much as we could afford & have been close to relegation. In 2016 we intend to spend as much as we can afford AND MORE to try to improve but not to the point of putting the Club at risk by "speculating". As for Fax don't think their success is due to irresponsible speculation but they recruited well with a bigger budget than us due to far bigger crowds & £50,000 more distribution than us but they have done a great job with a lower budget than Eg. Bulls, Leigh, London & probably Fev so well done to them. Fax & Rams have been big achievers of 2015 but we will try to be up there in 2016.

It is good the club is run on sound/solid financial foundations. Three ideas to help the club increase its revenue.

1.The club now have an electronic scoreboard. Why not organise a meeting with supporters/businesses who currently sponsor the club and supporters/businesses who support the club. Ask the supporters/businesses what they would pay to advertise their business on the electronic scoreboard per match or for the season then sell the advertising at that price agreed at the meeting.

2.The Pink Weekend (raising money to prevent breast cancer) held this season was a success and generated good positive publicity for the club. I would assume the Pink Weekend will be held next year. In addition to the Pink Weekend (where all the monies raised go to the charity), also organise a fund raising concert during next season with a breast cancer charity where the money raised is split between the charity and the rugby club.

3. Why not setup an email address where supporters can email marketing/promotion ideas. If the club like an idea they can then contact the person who submitted the idea and take the idea further.

"Anyone who does not watch rugby league is not a real person."

-John Singleton,

We are looking at ways to fully utilise the scoreboard and ads is one way.

It is my personal dream to have a concert at the ground with a significant act but not that easy to achieve but not given up yet.

We are presently looking at getting a new website inc. shop and also looking at email contact with as many supporters as possible. We already have email addresses of a significant number of season ticket holders and once sorted player signings aim to contact those we have not got for there's so it is in hand save for issue of manpower.in meantime anybody can email Club with whatever communication they wish at

Paulharrison@ batleybulldogs.co.uk

We are alleged to have no ambition so could not possibly have a 5 year SL plan!

Never said we had any intention of applying for a franchise so no way into SL anyway until this year.

Empty promises? you have lost me there.

We promise we will give it our best shot but anybody who promises we wil get to SL or we will get in middle 8 or we will win Championship Shield is a fool due to the nature of sport and for us with small gates & less distribution it is even harder BUT we will try and with the players we have for next season I am optimistic we will improve but to what extent will depend on better luck with injuries.

As Chairman what am I meant to be? Pessimistic?

We are alleged to have no ambition so could not possibly have a 5 year SL plan!

Never said we had any intention of applying for a franchise so no way into SL anyway until this year.

Empty promises? you have lost me there.

We promise we will give it our best shot but anybody who promises we wil get to SL or we will get in middle 8 or we will win Championship Shield is a fool due to the nature of sport and for us with small gates & less distribution it is even harder BUT we will try and with the players we have for next season I am optimistic we will improve but to what extent will depend on better luck with injuries.

As Chairman what am I meant to be? Pessimistic?

Kevin, you yourself publicly stated roundabout 1996 a 5 year plan to get into Super League but in your usual condescending manner chose to ignore the fact by stating that there was no way such a plan could have existed because you are alleged by me to have no ambition, it seems you choose to remember or forget what you want, well done on that.

We took over the Club in Nov 1997 so our first season was 1998.( not 1996 then)

In that season we won Transpennine Cup & achieved promotion.

Then for 2 years we battled court cases against Hobson to keep the Club alive and at same time maintained our position in same league. I will check when franchise system came in but can't achieve the impossible if goalposts moved.

When took over would have had a 5 year plan to turn us round with £440,000 of debts and achieved that and would have liked to get in SL but cannot promise SL now so could not promise it then only promise every year to try to achieve as high as we can.

We are proud of what we have achieved over last 18 years and we still have enthusiasm to go on despite a bit of criticism because the Board are all supporters and along with wives & kids love the Club and want to improve which I think most actual supporters appreciate even if they think we have areas to improve upon.

We took over the Club in Nov 1997 so our first season was 1998.( not 1996 then)

In that season we won Transpennine Cup & achieved promotion.

Then for 2 years we battled court cases against Hobson to keep the Club alive and at same time maintained our position in same league. I will check when franchise system came in but can't achieve the impossible if goalposts moved.

When took over would have had a 5 year plan to turn us round with £440,000 of debts and achieved that and would have liked to get in SL but cannot promise SL now so could not promise it then only promise every year to try to achieve as high as we can.

We are proud of what we have achieved over last 18 years and we still have enthusiasm to go on despite a bit of criticism because the Board are all supporters and along with wives & kids love the Club and want to improve which I think most actual supporters appreciate even if they think we have areas to improve upon.

I actually said "roundabout 1996, which of course 1997 is.

And the condescending continues, nothing changes, you cant help yourself.

When I read this i see Kevin giving facts and Gary being his bitter self. If Gary put as much effort into supporting the club. Fundraising etc. as he does questioning the board. We would have that extra £50k in the bank. Unfortunately it's easier to slate someone trying to better the club than it is to do it yourself. and IMO Gary will always go down the easy route.

When I read this i see Kevin giving facts and Gary being his bitter self. If Gary put as much effort into supporting the club. Fundraising etc. as he does questioning the board. We would have that extra £50k in the bank. Unfortunately it's easier to slate someone trying to better the club than it is to do it yourself. and IMO Gary will always go down the easy route.

Nail on head...... Stop trying to score points at every opportunity.

Archived