Pink Weekend

Kevin Nicholas

Please see website about events & ways to help.

Whatever you think of the Club or players or coaches or directors whether that be good or bad this is a great cause as I think everybody has been touched in some way by cancer and it needs to be beaten.

We need to match last years total if we can which was magnificent.

For me personally I thought 70 people doing the walk was inspiring so I hope we have a similar number and everybody who came to Saturday events at Club & Pig Racing Night had a great time.

So please support events and we will all have a terrific weekend into the bargain.

Please see website about events & ways to help.

Whatever you think of the Club or players or coaches or directors whether that be good or bad this is a great cause as I think everybody has been touched in some way by cancer and it needs to be beaten.

We need to match last years total if we can which was magnificent.

For me personally I thought 70 people doing the walk was inspiring so I hope we have a similar number and everybody who came to Saturday events at Club & Pig Racing Night had a great time.

So please support events and we will all have a terrific weekend into the bargain.

A great cause and credit to all who take part - ill be in the USA the weekend its taking place, but if there are sponsor forms knocking around beforehand ill gladly donate - I think Bev collared us to sponsor her last year - there was no escape! ha ha

Hope we can beat last years total - dig deep everyone.

What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law

It was said after the DR mix up that the Club would not take their eye off the ball again. Well I think they are beginning to by growing the Pink Weekend so that it becomes an event on its own. Whilst I have no problem whatsoever with raising money for charities at the Club through various means, I have to wonder whether the sheer scale of events, with the massive amount of time and effort and the use of the Club's facilities, is of any benefit whatsoever to the Club. Last year almost £10k was raised and handed over to the charity.  If only half of this had been added to the player fund maybe an extra body could have been signed who maybe would have helped the team through the recent sticky patch.  Or alternatively half that amount would have enabled the scoreboard to be acquired a lot sooner than it was and the subsequent money raised by other events could have been put into the ground development fund, which the Chairman has announced is now fully spent.  Or, presuming the Marketing Team have been involved in the organisation of the events, maybe they could have been given a budget which would have enabled them to give the Club a greater presence in the town which hopefully would have increased support.  Perhaps the Club does benefit by way of sponsorship, advertising etc from the shops/businesses who support the weekend and if so that is good.  However with the Chairman continually stressing how tight the financial position is at the club, I find it difficult to understand how it can give away every single pound that is raised by all these events over this weekend.

It was said after the DR mix up that the Club would not take their eye off the ball again. Well I think they are beginning to by growing the Pink Weekend so that it becomes an event on its own. Whilst I have no problem whatsoever with raising money for charities at the Club through various means, I have to wonder whether the sheer scale of events, with the massive amount of time and effort and the use of the Club's facilities, is of any benefit whatsoever to the Club. Last year almost £10k was raised and handed over to the charity. If only half of this had been added to the player fund maybe an extra body could have been signed who maybe would have helped the team through the recent sticky patch. Or alternatively half that amount would have enabled the scoreboard to be acquired a lot sooner than it was and the subsequent money raised by other events could have been put into the ground development fund, which the Chairman has announced is now fully spent. Or, presuming the Marketing Team have been involved in the organisation of the events, maybe they could have been given a budget which would have enabled them to give the Club a greater presence in the town which hopefully would have increased support. Perhaps the Club does benefit by way of sponsorship, advertising etc from the shops/businesses who support the weekend and if so that is good. However with the Chairman continually stressing how tight the financial position is at the club, I find it difficult to understand how it can give away every single pound that is raised by all these events over this weekend.

Just relating to your final sentence, the club does not give any money away as it is not the club's in the first place. It is raised by the club for a cause. People contribute for the cause, not for the club, surely.

This is Beverley Nicholas replying

I have never replied to anything on this forum before but the comments above have made me very angry

The money raised for the Pink weekend was raised purely for charity, the weekend was organised by a few individuals and luckily people supported it, the thought of the money raised for CHARITY being used by the Club for players or scoreboard is absurd. This Pink weekend was a big success and yes we will do it again this year and hopefully for years to come. If 'fredm' doesnt like this then that is fine but please dont suggest money given in good faith is used for other things. I, together with many others have been affected by cancer and if raising money through the Club bothers some then all I can say is tough

The Board do not organise any events over the weekend. It Is mainly a group of lady supporters of which Beverley my wife is one.The Club tries to support them in any way we can. Amongst other things i will be on the sponsored walk for example. If facilities at the Club can be used for a good cause that is a thing we are proud of. People who support events actually enjoy being part of the "Pink Weekend".please do not try to derail this in anyway as it has nothing whatsoever to do with DR, scoreboard , players or anything else to do with the running of the Club.

It was said after the DR mix up that the Club would not take their eye off the ball again. Well I think they are beginning to by growing the Pink Weekend so that it becomes an event on its own. Whilst I have no problem whatsoever with raising money for charities at the Club through various means, I have to wonder whether the sheer scale of events, with the massive amount of time and effort and the use of the Club's facilities, is of any benefit whatsoever to the Club. Last year almost £10k was raised and handed over to the charity.  If only half of this had been added to the player fund maybe an extra body could have been signed who maybe would have helped the team through the recent sticky patch.  Or alternatively half that amount would have enabled the scoreboard to be acquired a lot sooner than it was and the subsequent money raised by other events could have been put into the ground development fund, which the Chairman has announced is now fully spent.  Or, presuming the Marketing Team have been involved in the organisation of the events, maybe they could have been given a budget which would have enabled them to give the Club a greater presence in the town which hopefully would have increased support.  Perhaps the Club does benefit by way of sponsorship, advertising etc from the shops/businesses who support the weekend and if so that is good.  However with the Chairman continually stressing how tight the financial position is at the club, I find it difficult to understand how it can give away every single pound that is raised by all these events over this weekend.

Right, sometimes things are just worth doing for the sake of it. The club raised a phenomenal amount last season, which l believe should have been celebrated far more widely than it was. It is to the credit of the club that they undertake this for such a worthy cause. Despite KN saying that what he has done above, if they actually did contribute more to the cause, there would be no complaints from me, and l suspect from the vast majority of supporters. l hope that even more money is raised this year, and it continues to become a huge part of our club and seasons in the future. 

To be fair i think everyone is reading Freds post wrongly

It does come across 'unfortunately' and seems to suggest we should be keeping some of the money raised! Rather then people misreading it, perhaps it could have been written differently with its meaning clearer then.

I think Fred has unfortunately worded his post quite badly, but ultimately posed a valid question - albeit on the wrong thread. We really need to do more in using club facilities to raise money for THE CLUB. Apart from the golf day, I'm not sure what events the club has organised up at Mount Pleasant to raise money for 'Batley Bulldogs' this season.

Well done to the people who organise the 'Pink Weekend'. I sincerely hope that last season's total is exceeded this year. I will be contributing to the cause tomorrow, and would encourage others to dig deep.

r02c.gif

I agree that we need to use Club facilities as much as possible to raise money and raise awareness of Club. In fact this is happening already as we have private parties more & more at the Club and we have had our own events . Obviously we can improve which we try to do all the time but certainly we have had more functions etc. this year than previous year and it appears to be building up slowly but surely. Over last 4 weeks club hired every day by a business we have had our first wedding do as well as birthday parties and tonite we have an 18th /40th party so this aspect is improving.

Recommend us to people you know as a venue for any function up to 150 people as well as a suitable meeting venue with ample parking. Tescos are already in talks with us about various events for them at our premises which we hope will come off. As well as Bulldogs Girls playing their game at our stadium last weekend we had a festival of kids rugby on the pitch and visitors from Whitby camped at our ground as part of the festival( so many kids on pitch was great to see). Also of course Batley Boys are based at our Club and go from strength to strength so there are loads of positives about our great stadium and it's present uses. Over summer hols hope to arrange a leaflet drop at homes round the area promoting further our function facilities as we did last year.

I agree that we need to use Club facilities as much as possible to raise money and raise awareness of Club. In fact this is happening already as we have private parties more & more at the Club and we have had our own events . Obviously we can improve which we try to do all the time but certainly we have had more functions etc. this year than previous year and it appears to be building up slowly but surely. Over last 4 weeks club hired every day by a business we have had our first wedding do as well as birthday parties and tonite we have an 18th /40th party so this aspect is improving.

Recommend us to people you know as a venue for any function up to 150 people as well as a suitable meeting venue with ample parking. Tescos are already in talks with us about various events for them at our premises which we hope will come off. As well as Bulldogs Girls playing their game at our stadium last weekend we had a festival of kids rugby on the pitch and visitors from Whitby camped at our ground as part of the festival( so many kids on pitch was great to see). Also of course Batley Boys are based at our Club and go from strength to strength so there are loads of positives about our great stadium and it's present uses. Over summer hols hope to arrange a leaflet drop at homes round the area promoting further our function facilities as we did last year.

All excellent news.
r02c.gif

Would be good if you could do a battle of the Bands day up at the mount, theres awesome bands and singers around and im sure if they are approached, all local bands and singers would jump at the chance to help in such a fantastic cause, and would make a fantastic day out, you could also do a charity car wash were the players have to wash cars for charity, just a couple of thoughts i think could interest you, imo of course.....

BISSA had Dogfest for a couple of years & there was a lot of effort went into it. We couldn't have pulled it off without the help of Peter Earnshsw. There are band who were willing to play & they came from all over.

It would clash with the pig racing however.

"If you want us to be the best and if you want us to beat the rest, a BISSA donation is what we need"

Archived