Save the Bees

It appears that foxes and badgers aren't enough... they are coming for the bees next!

Defra has agreed to the use of banned pesticides, that are implicated in the massive drop in bee numbers.   

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2015/jul/23/eu-suspends-ban-pesticides-linked-serious-harm-bees?CMP=share_btn_tw

The Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra) also told its expert committee on pesticides (ECP) to halt its normal practice of publishing the minutes of meetings at which the neonicotinoid applications were discussed, in order to avoid “provoking representations from different interest groups”.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2015/jul/17/government-gags-pesticide-advisers-refusal-support-bee-harming-neonicotinoids

The government has gagged its own pesticide advisers, after they refused to back an application by the National Farmers Union to lift a ban on bee-harming chemicals. The gag is intended to prevent campaigners lobbying ministers on the issue, according to documents seen by the Guardian.

If there is profit in it for tory voters who cares, after all the rich are all in this together.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

The last rational article I read about bees suggested that they were worth billions per year to british agriculture. So, we're going to risk killing them off for short term gain for the few? What happens in ten years' time when there are no bees to pollinate our crops? Does anyone care?

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

The last rational article I read about bees suggested that they were worth billions per year to british agriculture. So, we're going to risk killing them off for short term gain for the few? What happens in ten years' time when there are no bees to pollinate our crops? Does anyone care?

If I've banked all my money then fek to the rest who cares about them.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Ha ha! You are "Fred the shred" and I claim my 10, sorry 100, sorry 1000 drachmas.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

That's it in a nutshell for so many policies, screw tomorrow just to make sure a narrow few are well looked after today.  The narrow minded idiocy around such things as bees, where there's solid evidence of the impact, is just astonishing.  It really just beggars belief that the government lets farmers away with what they do now from things like this to widespread abuse of antibiotics that ratchet up antibiotic resistance.  On that latter one, it's not the sole cause of antibiotic resistance but it's certainly a significant factor, we're down to last option and trial drugs for certain infections with no credible belief that we'll continue to keep up for more than another decade before surgeries start to become too risky and people start dying again from relatively simple infections.

We genuinely took one of the four horsemen of the apocalypse and turned him into a minor issue in relative terms but we're doing our damnedest to bring him back again.  (The first part as ably explained by XKCD).  Mortality due to infectious disease is on the rise again and a significant bit of that is antibiotic resistance with poorer countries unable to access the latest (and unfortunately already in widespread use) generation of antibiotics.  Yet, we allow farmers to routinely blast their animals with antibiotics just to make an extra £ or two from healthy looking animals.

But then people who point out things like that are accused of wanting to harm industry, same with the bees above, same with the frustration at the obvious hampering of renewable energy.

But then, vote Tory, get the country's future treated as the toilet paper for a narrow few.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Archived