keith galloway signs for leeds on 3 year deal

seems the rumour mill missed this one .

gary Hetherington sits back laughing at the rumours then pulls a top signing out of the hat

ah a sunday night in front of the telly watching old rugby league games.

does life get any better .

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

seems the rumour mill missed this one .

gary Hetherington sits back laughing at the rumours then pulls a top signing out of the hat

I would presume Peacock and Leuluai must free up a pretty decent chunk of the cap. Good signing.

A decent at best signing 2/3 years ago.

Another poor effort - from the countries top club.

Mega sigh.

Seriously!?

Where's the ambition to be the best Rl club in the world? A 30 yr old Aussie who is not close to being in the top 25 players in his position.

I despair. 

Does it show one of the best academies is finding it hard to turn out quality front rowers?

I'm sure this isn't a lazy option, more a choice out of necessity matt??

A decent at best signing 2/3 years ago.

Another poor effort - from the countries top club.

Mega sigh.

Seriously!?

Where's the ambition to be the best Rl club in the world? A 30 yr old Aussie who is not close to being in the top 25 players in his position.

I despair. 

Leeds lose two very experienced props and replace them with a very experienced prop.Shocking recruitment by Leeds.

Thank you for your valuable contribution.

a good player to bring in for 3 years .

leeds have a problem with all but one of there first  picks of props retiring and have had to bring in players that will do a English type props job until some of there exciting younger props are ready .

all 3 of the players signed up have good passing games and will suit the English game  and you can bet that gary Hetherington will not have broken the bank for any of them .

he is saving a large chunk of the cap for one more signing

Leeds lose two very experienced props and replace them with a very experienced prop.Shocking recruitment by Leeds.

I think it is shocking recruitment.

Losing the 2 props shouldn't have been a surprise. They should have had plans in place for the last 2/3 years to groom the next off the line.

Even if you go down the route of replacing experience with experience, he was decent 5 years ago - an absolute terrible signing.

Arguably the leagues best team signing a player not in the top 30 of his position, aged 30 with injury problems of late. Wonderful.

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

Losing the 2 props shouldn't have been a surprise. They should have had plans in place for the last 2/3 years to groom the next off the line.

Even if you go down the route of replacing experience with experience, he was decent 5 years ago - an absolute terrible signing.

Arguably the leagues best team signing a player not in the top 30 of his position, aged 30 with injury problems of late. Wonderful.

So,who should Leeds sign to replace either Peacock or Leuluai?

Thank you for your valuable contribution.

So,who should Leeds sign to replace either Peacock or Leuluai?

Plans should have been in place 2 years ago, you don't let 2 experienced players leave at the same time.

Better NRL props from top of my head ...

James Graham

Burgess X 2

Ben Matulino

Sam Moa

Dylan Napa

JWH

Tolman

Kaufusi

Myles

Gallen

Mannah

Bromich

Proctor

Tamou

Woods

Klemmer

Scott

Lillyman

mCguire

Merrin

Papalli

Shillington

Fifita

Snowden

Sims

Blair

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

Did you copy and paste this from last season when Adam Cuthbertson was announced? Just change prop for back row and you've got it.

they do have plans in place with 2 very good prospects  in place  but singleton needs another season or so to break into the team as a starting prop and young Mulhern at 18 of age  is still very much a future prospect as a front row forward .

you shouldn't be surprised to see cuthbertson playing mostly at loose forward next season either.

we can take a look at some of the top props and find for some reason the clubs some of them play for are not really top clubs . this tends to be because some clubs buy names rather than build teams . the two are very different things and I think if you looked at the leeds team this season you would be hard pressed to find a forward who you would say is of top international quality yet they stand proudly at the top of the league because they have been moulded as a team not as indiviuals

Plans should have been in place 2 years ago, you don't let 2 experienced players leave at the same time.

Better NRL props from top of my head ...

James Graham

Burgess X 2

Ben Matulino

Sam Moa

Dylan Napa

JWH

Tolman

Kaufusi

Myles

Gallen

Mannah

Bromich

Proctor

Tamou

Woods

Klemmer

Scott

Lillyman

mCguire

Merrin

Papalli

Shillington

Fifita

Snowden

Sims

Blair

so which ones of them are off contract

You've had years to prepare for them leaving. 

You replace one with Galloway.

No-one is arguing that Galloway is better than those mentioned are they?

Boils down to this.. i'd much rather my club promote from within / plan ahead with a younger guy etc etc. I suppose it being Leeds, thats why i'm so annoyed at the signing. I'd expect it from other clubs...

Still, if you're happy with Galloway making a linear 8m per carry and adding absolutely no other value, then keep paying your money.

I'm not, so the game doesn't get my money anymore.

I guess it depends upon the plan and taking account of any salary cap.  That is having to ensure their best players are given more remuneration to keep them whilst using the rest to boost the team or squad plus enticing or trying to entice another top half back.

Maybe they see the new player as a solid squad player as distinct from first choice 60 min prop. A sort of replacement for Kylie whom has been past his best many a year but can come on for those short 10min spells.  Although any rule changes may need longer than 10 min spells.

They need to build a squad not just the first choice team players.   

I don't know much but one thing I do know Leeds plan their squad years in advance whilst being adaptable to change they don't foresee.  So I would not agree with your suggestion they don't plan well ahead. Never-the-less I don't challenge your opinion on the player as that's all about opinions and I have not seen him play to make any assessment.

leeds have been slagged off about recruitment for years for not buying big name players or not bringing through certain styles of players yet year after year they are there challenging for the trophies . I know I would rather have a club that's been recruiting the leeds way for the last 10 years than one that's been buying up big name players and achieving much less .

take a look at the individual quality of the leeds recruits over the last few years then take a look at the quality of say the warrington recruits and you would conclude that warrington should be the more successful. throw into the mix the big names signed by other clubs and leeds should just about be struggling to stay in the top 8   . the fact they are top of the league without signing all those big names says much for the recruitment process  leeds have in place .

Salford proved you can buy players but putting a team together is something else completely and the hull teams have proved you should be careful you don't put all your  faith in a couple of big names

Does it show one of the best academies is finding it hard to turn out quality front rowers?

I'm sure this isn't a lazy option, more a choice out of necessity matt??

In other threads you've been keen to point out that "smaller" clubs like Widnes just don't have the local talent pool to dip in to in order to cut it at Elite level.....well, if this signing suggests that Leeds also have the same problem then that's a big worry surely? 

BTW I've no issue with Leeds signing an overseas forward, just saying like

In other threads you've been keen to point out that "smaller" clubs like Widnes just don't have the local talent pool to dip in to in order to cut it at Elite level.....well, if this signing suggests that Leeds also have the same problem then that's a big worry surely? 

BTW I've no issue with Leeds signing an overseas forward, just saying like

I agree with you entirely and this comes from listening to the chief execs of the Superleague clubs who have warned in recent years that less and less kids are playing - something backed up by people who organise junior RL. The only reason I seem to be picking on your club is my good mate Viking Warrior wants to make out that your academy is going places, when last year he was kind enough to reflect the real difficulties of the Halton and Widnes JARL where numbers are low and talented kids few and far between.

As we see in Hull they have finally admitted it's not a "hot bed of rugby league" and so much time and money is wasted, and so many kids are unfairly dragged into the two academies just to make the numbers up, the clubs have come clean on the issue and the RFL have supported one academy.

Leeds may not produce any good young props any more (Singleton is from Barrow) looking at Widnes and Wire it seems they don't produce Props either with lads having to be shipped in from Wigan and abroad. 

Today on this forum it was lamented that Warrington don't produce any decent halves and therefore are headless chickens. Widnes have produced a couple though and the same problems are evident in "Cheshire" as are evident in "Humberside". You may suffer the same solution.

The other solution as well as downsizing the academies is what clubs are doing - recruiting from down under, and in time the restrictions on overseas signings could even be lifted??

Here are some comments from the Wests Tigers forum, in reaction to the news of Keith's departure:

Tottie: Gone, and thank god

smithy: I am happy about this but to his credit keith has been a great servant of this club but stayed a season too long.the trouble is we have no money to replace him with anyone.watch the club re-sign buchanan.

Tygr:  Hooray!

GNR4LIFE:  Obviously we had to clear the decks for our blockbuster signing of Jack Littlejohn.

kafta:  WOW there is a god icon_mrgreen.gif

Bengal Tiger:  Fantastic!!!!!!

Tygr:  I respect what he has done for the club and i thank him for his years of service. But i'm still glad he is moving on. He has been a plodder for far too long.

tigerbalm:  He may be the nicest bloke on the planet.

For 80 minutes a week, 12 rounds a year ( the average he probably plays) I see him as a third rate hack that takes opportunity from a kid that wants to put in.

Don't confuse longevity with legend. He is a journeyman that journeyed about 4-5 years too long. He only got those extra years because WT have such low standards.

Good luck big red, you won't be missed.

underdog:  Hope he scored the same Holiday Arrangements as part of his contract over their he had over here. I always knew it was a Tigers season if Keefy was on a 4-8 week sabbatical somewhere in there. icon_e_biggrin.gif
Smart business decision, but he's been a servant to our club, no doubt.

Here are some comments from the Wests Tigers forum, in reaction to the news of Keith's departure:

Tottie: Gone, and thank god

smithy: I am happy about this but to his credit keith has been a great servant of this club but stayed a season too long.the trouble is we have no money to replace him with anyone.watch the club re-sign buchanan.

Tygr:  Hooray!

GNR4LIFE:  Obviously we had to clear the decks for our blockbuster signing of Jack Littlejohn.

kafta:  WOW there is a god icon_mrgreen.gif

Bengal Tiger:  Fantastic!!!!!!

Tygr:  I respect what he has done for the club and i thank him for his years of service. But i'm still glad he is moving on. He has been a plodder for far too long.

tigerbalm:  He may be the nicest bloke on the planet.

For 80 minutes a week, 12 rounds a year ( the average he probably plays) I see him as a third rate hack that takes opportunity from a kid that wants to put in.

Don't confuse longevity with legend. He is a journeyman that journeyed about 4-5 years too long. He only got those extra years because WT have such low standards.

Good luck big red, you won't be missed.

underdog:  Hope he scored the same Holiday Arrangements as part of his contract over their he had over here. I always knew it was a Tigers season if Keefy was on a 4-8 week sabbatical somewhere in there. icon_e_biggrin.gif

Smart business decision, but he's been a servant to our club, no doubt.

seems the same sort of comments we heard about cuthbertson  so no worries on that score .

anyone noticed how the aussies always talk down players leaving there precious league but seem to have no problem with them when they return  for instance sam moa and pat Richards just for 2 examples

Archived