keith galloway signs for leeds on 3 year deal

If there was an award for the worst run team with what was the biggest support some years ago then Parramatta would have won Gold, season after season.

It is almost criminal what's going on at that club and it's hurting the NRL. They have a huge potential fan base and so much history with other clubs and so many derbies, because they are surrounded by Wests, Penrith and Canterbury. When they have a bad year it hurts all the other Sydney teams.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

HOLDEN CUP: PAYMENTS FOR THE TOP 20

$250,000 - Basic payments for the Top 20 players.

What Holden Cup players can earn outside the salary cap:

$31,500 - School fees allowance per club.

Unlimited - Approved living away from home allowance (up to $8,190 per annum per Holden Cup qualified player outside the Top 25).

Unlimited - Tertiary education, approved traineeships, apprenticeship allowances, medical insurance costs, relocation/temporary accommodation costs.

Payments for Holden Cup players outside the top 20

$50,000 - Cap for all players outside of the Top 20 who compete in Holden Cup.

Please note: Players outside the Top 25 who do not compete in the NRL or Holden Cup, are NOT subject to the Salary Cap.

Surprised that there are not more Northern Hemisphere recruits to the NRL clubs with small pools of juniors. In particular from development areas and rugby union. Quite frankly if those terms were more publicly aware, there would probably be interest.

Could you set out how big for us please?

How many teams at how many age groups??

Well the teams start at U6s, boys, girls and mixed and go through to Open Age. Penrith has these main clubs:

Blacktown City 25 teams

Blacktown Workers - 19

Brothers - 58

Cambridge Park - 22

Colyton/Mt Druitt - 30

Doonside - 25

Emu Plains - 41

Glenmore Park - 55

Hawkesbury - 18

Katoomba - 6

Lower Mountains - 29

Minchinbury - 45

Mt Druitt PCYC - 16

Penrith Waratahs - 20

Quakers Hill - 31

Riverstone Razorbacks - 13

Rooty Hill RSL - 4

St Clair Comets - 58

St Marys - 52

St Pats - 10

West City Tigers - 28

Windsor Wolves - 44

Big enough?

Surprised that there are not more Northern Hemisphere recruits to the NRL clubs with small pools of juniors. In particular from development areas and rugby union. Quite frankly if those terms were more publicly aware, there would probably be interest.

Here are some SL graduates of the NYC:

Matt Russell - Wire

Benjamin Garcia and Jason Baiteri - Catalans

George and Tom Burgess - Souths

Anthony Mullaly - Hudds/Wakey

Dan Smith - Hudds/Wakey

Well the teams start at U6s, boys, girls and mixed and go through to Open Age. Penrith has these main clubs:

Blacktown City 25 teams

Blacktown Workers - 19

Brothers - 58

Cambridge Park - 22

Colyton/Mt Druitt - 30

Doonside - 25

Emu Plains - 41

Glenmore Park - 55

Hawkesbury - 18

Katoomba - 6

Lower Mountains - 29

Minchinbury - 45

Mt Druitt PCYC - 16

Penrith Waratahs - 20

Quakers Hill - 31

Riverstone Razorbacks - 13

Rooty Hill RSL - 4

St Clair Comets - 58

St Marys - 52

St Pats - 10

West City Tigers - 28

Windsor Wolves - 44

Big enough?

Can't thank you enough for that.

Huddersfield, with the Superleague club in the birthplace of the game, is around the same size as Penrith and has a small number of clubs who run junior teams.

I'll add them up but its really quite small compared with that....

I don't think people realise the difference between Australian JARL and British JARL 

If they did they may see why we have to import players from Australia....

Can't thank you enough for that.

Huddersfield, with the Superleague club in the birthplace of the game, is around the same size as Penrith and has a small number of clubs who run junior teams.

I'll add them up but its really quite small compared with that....

I don't think people realise the difference between Australian JARL and British JARL 

If they did they may see why we have to import players from Australia....

The Huddersfield postcode has about 7 clubs that run junior teams.

Thank you for your valuable contribution.

The Penrith league covers a population of about 440,000

It also has some of the main RL high schools and kids can get study RL as a full subject.

Of course there's also the Aus Secondary Schools RL which runs comps in the same area. They have to keep some distance from the NRL clubs because of the alcohol and betting site sponsorships in NRL.

Oh why is it Leeds always sign rubbish players?

must be the reason they have been preforming so poor the last 10 years or so.  imagine if they ever signed good players

ah a sunday night in front of the telly watching old rugby league games.

does life get any better .

The Huddersfield postcode has about 7 clubs that run junior teams.

Terry,

I was about to look up Newsome, Slaithwaite saracens etc and work it out, so I do thank you for doing it for me.

Whatever number of kids JARL clubs, or JARL teams we have in our respective areas around the M62 (and the bit beyond) It's dwarfed by the strength of the Australian Junior game.

For me the fact we can at times give them a game at senior level, and get an occasional win shows us how well we do on scant resources, for others they just think we're rubbish coz we can't regularly beat a team that is the cream of a much much bigger playing pyramid then we have.

It's all McNamara's fault.

For me it also shows why we have to import their players if we want our domestic teams to be as good as they can.

On SKY I caught Eddie and Stevo moaning about the Australians  in our game and then Stevo said we should look to develop our own. A convenient sounbite and of course the conversation stopped dead there.

Message to Stevo - go check out the English Junior game.

The points made that some of the players coming over who are pretty damn good like Mantelato at HKR, couldn't get a game in the NRL are indicative of the problem with playing strength over here.

I know people don't like the truth and will rubbish Galloway all day but they have to face the truth that Galloway is at this point far and away a better player than Robbie Mulhearn or Jordan Baldwinson.

Let's either ban overseas players to make the best ofwhat we have and see standards drop like a stone, or lets get the best players we can from wherever, after all they do it in Soccer - who cares there's virtually no English lads at the likes of Chelsea & Man city????

Don't really see the problem with this signing.

He will join a team significantly made up of homegrown players and BM obviously thinks he will fit into his team well enough.

No one knows what he is been paid or who else Leeds will sign and therefore saying their are 25 better props is simply irrelevant. You need 3/4 props a game so unless their are 200 better props then this is a moot point...

The best NRL players in SL at the moment in my opinion are Millington and Cuthbertson, neither came over with huge raptures. Nor did Carney (Justin) or Rangi Chase but both have done pretty well. Todd Carney has been a none event though despite his rep.

Again people will say if he goes well it shows the gulf in standard. Disagree really. Some do better here, some their (Tom Burgess looked useless every time I saw him at Bradford for example).

I will judge him on what he does over here, obviously as a Cas fan I'd like him to fail but won't be suprised to see him excel.

thing is your losing peacock,kylie,king kev

burrow and mcguire are close to the end

what you did in the past is just that,its what you do in the future that counts

thats not in question,but why has every Leeds decision been doomed to fail only to leave the prophets of doom with egg on their faces?and of course since 2004 there have been numerous changes to the team

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

Cracking signing for ireland though...same goes for pat richards going to catala

thing is your losing peacock,kylie,king kev

burrow and mcguire are close to the end

what you did in the past is just that,its what you do in the future that counts

yep but don't forget they replaced webb, Donald,senior,buderus without it been a problem and leiuli is effectively replaced by garbutt peacock by Galloway plus they have the addition of cuthbertson . burrow and McGuire still have 2 seasons left in them barring injury .

so its just the small matter of how would any club replace a player like  sinfield  although seeing as an awful lot of people don't rate him it shouldn't be that hard :(

yep but don't forget they replaced webb, Donald,senior,buderus without it been a problem and leiuli is effectively replaced by garbutt peacock by Galloway plus they have the addition of cuthbertson . burrow and McGuire still have 2 seasons left in them barring injury .

so its just the small matter of how would any club replace a player like  sinfield  although seeing as an awful lot of people don't rate him it shouldn't be that hard :(

and McGuire not a leader or tactician

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

Galloway is a decent enough player, I have no issue with his signing.

However, leeds, next year, can field a pack of Garbutt, Aiton, Galloway, Delany, Achurch, Cuthbertson. That's not good enough for one of our premier clubs to be fielding that many overseas players, and numbers are shooting up all over the league.

It seems Mr Wood's 'light touch' approach means going back to the dark days

Galloway is a decent enough player, I have no issue with his signing.

However, leeds, next year, can field a pack of Garbutt, Aiton, Galloway, Delany, Achurch, Cuthbertson. That's not good enough for one of our premier clubs to be fielding that many overseas players, and numbers are shooting up all over the league.

It seems Mr Wood's 'light touch' approach means going back to the dark days

they can also field  singleton,ablett,,jones buchanan,steve ward, mullaly, mulhern,Robbie ward, josh walters,jimmy klinehorst,, liam Sutcliffe  and of course at hooker rob burrow.  now that's another possiblites to add to the ones you give.

if we add up all of those players there are only 3 from the 2 lists not qualified to play for a European country at rugby league

they can also field  singleton,ablett,,jones buchanan,steve ward, mullaly, mulhern,Robbie ward, josh walters,jimmy klinehorst,, liam Sutcliffe  and of course at hooker rob burrow.  now that's another possiblites to add to the ones you give.

if we add up all of those players there are only 3 from the 2 lists not qualified to play for a European country at rugby league

So what. Doesn't alter the fact that one of our premier clubs needs to import a quarter of their squad  and nearly half a matchday squad.

So what. Doesn't alter the fact that one of our premier clubs needs to import a quarter of their squad  and nearly half a matchday squad.

no different to most other teams in super league  although they will still have more academy trained players than most teams

no different to most other teams in super league  although they will still have more academy trained players than most teams

And? Being the best at youth development in SL right now is like being the worlds tallest dwarf.

Comparing Peacock with Galloway is like comparing Shergar with a Blackpool Donkey come on

Cuthbertson already there and Garbutt its really early days

Big Keith doesn't look like he's bending the line much nowadays from what I've seen . I think Leeds could have done better and probably cheaper getting in or promoting a younger buck from closer to home . I think at times we can get a bit NRL starry eyed

did we not have similar comments about cutherbertson  when his signing was announced last year. leeds had signed yet another nrl player who is nothing much to shout home about  yet 12 months on he is the top offloader in the game and been talked about as good enough to play for England and possibly the best forward in super league .

I know whos judgment I would back on player recruitment  going on the last 10 years  and that's gary Hetherington . he has not really paid out big bucks for any player since he bought keith senior from Sheffield . I would say the last major signing from the nrl in terms of profile was eastwood and that put hetherington off high profile players for obvious reasons.

these days he looks for value and the right character of player to fit into the team ethos and I find it hard to dispute the fact he has done a good job and I think yet again he will prove some people wrong in there judgments .

by the way theres still plenty left under the cap should he choose to add further to the squad

Archived