When you need a spead sheet to explain its time to rethink

I was at a birthday party today for a young person. 

I was asked if I could explain the new system, to Wiganers who are casual rugby folloers, how the new system worked I mentioned the RFL recommend downloading their spreadsheet  which shows how it works.

The response was amazing, "YOU NEED AN EFFIN SPREADSHEET TO WORK IT OUT, FEK THAT I CAN'T BE ARZD"

These are people who are casual followers of the game, go to the odd game but are baffled by the concept.

If you have got to here, the question now is this, do none RL people understand it even if they have the spreadsheet.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Could you not just have said the top 8 play again ..then top 4 play off... its the same as super8s in cricket....

Can I suggest you do not give up your day job as your sales technique stinks ;-)

You fail to get the point, they shouldn't have to ask me. As people with a good knowledge of of RL they should understand, they didn't.

These are casual fans who are confused. How are none fans going on.

If its dead simple why have the RFL put out a spreadsheet to download to help ardent supporters never mind casual ones.

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Could you not just have said the top 8 play again ..then top 4 play off... its the same as super8s in cricket....

Can I suggest you do not give up your day job as your sales technique stinks ;-)

Another point, it is not my job to sell Rl that is the RFL's job

I know a lot of people who cannot follow cricket without going beyond what happens on the field.

The spread sheet is to show the fine detail of who's home and who's away , the actual format is relatively simple , I've explained it do dozens of people both RL fans and non RL fans , and all have grasped it pretty quickly , tonight I had to point out the million pound game to someone who thought it was just 4 up and 4 down

Maybe it's just Wiganers who have a problem

I was at a birthday party today for a young person.

I was asked if I could explain the new system, to Wiganers who are casual rugby folloers, how the new system worked I mentioned the RFL recommend downloading their spreadsheet which shows how it works.

The response was amazing, "YOU NEED AN EFFIN SPREADSHEET TO WORK IT OUT, FEK THAT I CAN'T BE ARZD"

These are people who are casual followers of the game, go to the odd game but are baffled by the concept.

If you have got to here, the question now is this, do none RL people understand it even if they have the spreadsheet.

Perhaps you need to explain it more clearly. The concept of having a play off for promotion/relegation between 4 teams from each division surely isn't that complicated.

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

A spreadsheet isnt needed.

Top 8 play each other again.

Next 8 play each other to decide which 4 start in sl next year.

Next 8 play each other for shield.

If they are casual fans, they dont need to understsnd every aspect of how the fixtures are seeded, on Monday they can just see the fixtures arranged for them.

You should have just taken 24 pies from the buffet, split them in two, then split them into three eights.

No need for a spreadsheet, just put it in Wigan speak.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

I think the system isn't the problem here it is the publicity. The RFL should have invested at least 200k in an info/PR exercise - whether that is roadshows at stadiums, high profile players talking about the system etc. We have a big screen at 33% of all games - play the video of the system before, at half-time and after FFS. Advertise within Sky's RL coverage for viewers. If you want change to be embraced you have to inform people again, again and again!

Give them chance, they did a video at the start of the year, they have a new video being released tomorrow iirc, and will announce fixtures on Weds. Using the fixtures should allow them to demonstrate it more, but ultimately the split is a simple concept, some of the intricacies will make sense as we work through year one.

Give them chance, they did a video at the start of the year, they have a new video being released tomorrow iirc, and will announce fixtures on Weds. Using the fixtures should allow them to demonstrate it more, but ultimately the split is a simple concept, some of the intricacies will make sense as we work through year one.

10 days before is too is far too late. If you have supporters of clubs saying they don't know what is happening with the rest of the season then the job isn't done. Some Hull KR fans have already lobbed their season passes into the Humber and as a Featherstone fan I don't even know what we are playing for now and how much money we will get next season? 

Never mind a bl**dy video it should have had a whole dedicated website on it - newerarugby.com or something - which should have been piped around all year. Match programmes full page every week of the season. More people watch RL who don't attend games then do.

10 days before is too is far too late. If you have supporters of clubs saying they don't know what is happening with the rest of the season then the job isn't done. Some Hull KR fans have already lobbed their season passes into the Humber and as a Featherstone fan I don't even know what we are playing for now and how much money we will get next season? 

Never mind a bl**dy video it should have had a whole dedicated website on it - newerarugby.com or something - which should have been piped around all year. Match programmes full page every week of the season. More people watch RL who don't attend games then do.

Don't talk male genitals , it isn't that complicated , unless you have an agenda to make it so ? , if the HKR fans have littered the Humber , then that's their stupid fault , as for your club , they're playing for the Shield , how often under licencing where you once concerned over your prize money ?

Padge is just a moaning get , this system has no real impact on him or his club , do why is he bothered ?

Don't talk ###### , it isn't that complicated , unless you have an agenda to make it so ? , if the HKR fans have littered the Humber , then that's their stupid fault , as for your club , they're playing for the Shield , how often under licencing where you once concerned over your prize money ?

Padge is just a moaning get , this system has no real impact on him or his club , do why is he bothered ?

We appear to be playing for a shield having just released a group of our best players in the last week - so yes it means a lot. Stop being abusive it doesn't suit you.

We appear to be playing for a shield having just released a group of our best players in the last week - so yes it means a lot. Stop being abusive it doesn't suit you.

So why have you released them now ? , why not at the end of the season ? , why didn't you release them 6/7 weeks ago ?

Not being abusive , stop complaining over not being good enough , it doesn't suit you , or anybody

I think it is a brilliantly simple system that some people are trying to make too complicated. Going into the final third of the season, all teams have something to play for. I don't recall that happening before.

Exactly , under licencing half of SL and practically all of the Championship would have lost interest weeks go

Under regular 1 up , 1 down half of SL and practically all of the Championship would have lost interest weeks ago

So why have you released them now ? , why not at the end of the season ? , why didn't you release them 6/7 weeks ago ?

Not being abusive , stop complaining over not being good enough , it doesn't suit you , or anybody

I would imagine it is immediate cost cutting as the club's maximum income for 2016 will be half that of 2015. The deadline is still open so clubs are still signing players. Yes you are mostly abusive - read your posts back.

I would imagine it is immediate cost cutting as the club's maximum income for 2016 will be half that of 2015. The deadline is still open so clubs are still signing players. Yes you are mostly abusive - read your posts back.

So essentially you were relying on next years income to pay this years contracts , is that a healthy way of running a club ?

Or you put no value on winning the shield ?

Not abusive at all , I just ask unpalletable questions , rarely do they get answered , because people don't like the truth

I personally think you are right; messaging is vitally important and it is something the RFL and the game as a whole is really poor at as we pay lip service to it. If fans or part-time fans don't understand the system, the messaging for the new structure has failed.

So essentially you were relying on next years income to pay this years contracts , is that a healthy way of running a club ?

Or you put no value on winning the shield ?

Not abusive at all , I just ask unpalletable questions , rarely do they get answered , because people don't like the truth

Had Leigh finished fifth this season they would probably have been doing exactly the same thing. Even with the success the bigger clubs are just waiting to cherry pick your best players. That is life for small town clubs like Leigh and Featherstone.

I personally think you are right; messaging is vitally important and it is something the RFL and the game as a whole is really poor at as we pay lip service to it. If fans or part-time fans don't understand the system, the messaging for the new structure has failed.

So these fans or part time fans have waited over six months into the season before they asked somebody what was happening ? , and these are fans of a club not affected by it ? , and when asked , somebody who does understand tells them " you need to download a spreadsheet " rather than taking the ten seconds to explain ?

Reread their response to understand what level of ' fan ' they are

Quote " you need an effin spread sheet , Fek that , I can't be 4rsed "

Quality

Archived